Going back to homeschooling

flutterby

Fly away!
I just don't have it in me to fight the SD anymore. difficult child is suffering enough. I am not at all looking forward to this, but it is the only way she is going to get through this school year. The entire school year has been a complete waste.

In other news, difficult child's psychologist changed the NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) diagnosis to Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. Functionally, it doesn't mean much; but it will guarantee her services as NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) isn't widely accepted.

flutterby

Fly away!
It will actually be an online charter school. So, while it's not technically homeschooling, I will be sitting with her everyday doing instruction.

As far as resources, I will have to play it by ear. With the medication issues and now the medication wash her needs change from day to day - and the resources we had in place 2 years ago aren't the same needed as now. So, we will deal with it as it comes up.

LittleDudesMom

Good luck Heather. Law and reality don't always go hand in hand. The schools are supposed to educate our children; but the reality of each difficult child's unique situation often forces us to take it in our own hands. The bottom line is, in the long run, what is best for our difficult children.

Sharon

Steely

Good luck - I went back and forth with Matt on this - but the best bet seemed to be homeschooling. He did the charter school thing - and we also found GREAT "homeschool" classes at one of our local community colleges. They were fantastic - I would definitely see if there are some of those at your local colleges.

babybear

Flutterby, I have just enrolled my difficult child in the same kind of online charter school yesterday. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I have to admit it sort of scares me but we have spent the last few months just trying to get her in the building at school and something had to change. Good luck to both of us!

C

cmfout

My difficult child has been in an online/homeschool program since the beginning of the year. He never did well in a traditional school setting but he's thriving in this program. It's the one area of his life that he's able to really focus on and he enjoys it. He has opportunities to learn things that interest him at his own pace, which is something the sd never offered him. I hope it works out as well for your difficult child.

I like the increased flexiblility of homeschooling. I have to be realisitc though. On her low functioning/unstable days (like today), she is not doing anything. I try to keep expectations realistic. She has three classes with me:English, Spanish, and Government. It is an online high shcool we have been with since 2006. On her better days, about an hour a day is what she can focus. Baby steps add up! We do manage to get one lesson done a week in Eng. and Govt. and two a week in Spanish and she is set to graduate in May! It does require a lot of patience and acceptance and can be exhausting. Her dad will work with her a bit on math. She is to taker ACT with accomodations next month.