Going to NYC with easy child!

Nancy

Tomorrow evening me and easy child are getting on a plane to NYC for a long weekend. I need to get away and do something fun. easy child and I have gone to NY and Chicago in past years and had a blast and I am so happy that she was able to get Friday off and agreed to come with me.

No big plans, hope to see a show and do some shopping. The last time we were there we saw the Empire State Building, Central Park, Guggenheim Museum, Natural History Museum, Soho, NYU, Fifth Ave, Park Ave and lots more. The one thing we didn't get to was the statue of liberty but we can't get tickets to go in and the weather doesn't look good so I think we will pass.

Any suggestions on where to eat or what to see?

I am so looking forward to this time away.

On another note, difficult child texted and asked if I would take her to school today. I haven't talked to her in three weeks. I agreed because it was school. She was pleasant and I said absolutely nothing that could cause a fight, asked no questions and made no comments. She asked if she could take the dog for a walk when the weather got nicer and I said yes. She said she still wants to be able to talk to us once in a while because she was still our daughter. I told her she would always be our daughter and I would like to talk once in a while too.

Nancy

klmno

I really liked the museum that was near the Statue of Liberty- Ellis Island, I think is all it was called. We went to the Statue even though we couldn't go inside at that time, then noticed a way to get to that museum and it was WELL worth it, at least we thought so. Then we saw a Broadway play which we both enjoyed, too. I wanted to go to the Guggenheim Museum but I blew that.

When I say "we", I am referring to myself and my son, who was 10yo at the time and not a difficult child just yet. I didn't think we'd really enjoy Broadway because we don't like musicals so much however, once I figured out that the idea was to research and pick out one where you know you like that type of music and you think you'd like the theme, too, then is turned out great and we had a blast.

Nancy

Last time we saw three shows, Hairspray, Avenue Q and Rent. We would like to see Mama Mia this time because we love that music.

Nancy

KTMom91

I haven't been to NY for about 15 years, but the museum at Ellis Island simply fascinated me.

Have a wonderful trip, Nancy!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OH I am sooooo jealous! lol

Have a fabulous time!!

And glad the communication is open with difficult child.........and she was nice about it.

(((hugs)))

KFld

Eat at Carmines. It is family style and pretty reasonable for NYC and the food is delicious. I'm glad you are getting away from it all and I hope you have a blast!! I heard Saturday is supposed to be pretty decent.

I think you handled difficult child very well. Sometimes the less said, the better. Hopefully she will realize that you are willing to help her when she's making the right choices, like going to school, and will walk away when she is making pour choices, or talking to you disrespectfully. I love how she pointed out that she is your daughter, like you would forget that :)
Great answers!!

Nancy

Karen I was reading some travel books and was actually thinking of going to Carmines. Lol yeah how could I forget she's my daughter is right.

Nancy

N

Nomad

So glad you are going and wishing you a wonderful trip!

Sounds like you handled difficult child very well!

svengandhi

It's funny, I walk past the Empire State building every day to and from work and I rarely look up...

What kind of food do you and easy child like to eat?

It may be a little late but there's a website called Skyauction where you can bid on or just outright buy discounted Bway tickets (not every show) and they usually come with vouchers for dinner at a local restaurant. They are often very good deals. When I used to have disposable income, I used the site alot.

That's nice to hear about difficult child. Hopefully, she will come around on her own and when she does, it's more likely to stick...

dashcat

Enjoy every minute of your getaway! You and easy child both need this and you handled difficult child beautifully. She knows you love her, but your boundaries are firm.
Dash

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm envioius! I'm trying to plan a weekend away myself... I'm feeling that "itch" to get out of town. Enjoy!!

KFld

Oh no!! I hope you get there and have a great time. And like Star said, Mama Mia!!!!! I saw it on Broadway and off and it is fantastic :)

DDD

:you_go_girl: I searched for a "green with envy" face but couldn't find it, lol. Hope you have the same marvelous time that you and easy child shared on your last trip together. I'll be eager to read about it. Hugs. DDD