going to oregon until my dad passes -

Steely

So, I had this dream/premonition last night that my dad was dying. I called my Mom this morning, and sure enough, he is doing very poorly. Downhill slide, fast - I just talked to them 2 days ago - and things seemed steady. So I told my Mom that I was going to come up there this week, and stay, indefinitely. She agreed.

I have a lot of fear about this, and angst. I am already going to the city of death (it feels like) with the constant reminders of H's death, and now my Dad. Please pray for me and send me positive thoughts.

I also have Tesla that is just barely 4 months old. Any suggestions on what I should do with her??? I have a dog sitter, but I think Tesla it too little to have a sitter come in two or even three times a day. I guess I am leaning towards these doggy day care places? Anyone tried those?

I am wrapping up everything tomorrow and Tues - doctors appts, taxes, and making sure Matt has his medications. and ducks in a row - and then I guess I will be on my way to the unknown. I have to say I am scared. I do not do death well - then again who does?

H

HaoZi

*HUGS* Steely.
Best bet on finding a doggy day care or boarding service is a quick call to their vet and ask who they would trust their animals with.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Steely,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I realize going there is a tough place to go, but instead of calling it what you are? Perhaps trying to find a different name will help your psyche. True enough people do pass there - but angels arise from there also. City of Angels. Remember your Mom will still be there - and to have endured all she has in the last years? She's been more than an angel. When you go there; your support will be angelic to her as well.

As far as Tesla? 4 months old? I would crate her and take her with me. She's current on her shots? Get a vets certificate and take her - If you don't? Be ABSOLUTELY SURE WITHOUT A DOUBT she has been innoculate against BORDATELLA (kennel cough) if NOT? GET IT before you go. It's a simple nose drip they put IN the pups nose. Not expensive and WORTH EVERY CENT.

Hugs to you and your family. Our familes prayers with you!
Star

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Ah, Steely. You've had to endure so much heart break! I don't know what to say, other than "I'm so very sorry". I stayed with my aunt/godmother while she was passing. I missed the deaths of my in-laws and my own mother. At night I can only feel confident that I did the right thing by my aunt.

Nancy

I'm sorry about your dad and I know this will be a difficult journey. I'm with Star, take the puppy with you. She will be company and comfort for you.

Nancy

KTMom91

Many hugs, Steely.

We had good luck with a pet hotel (part of a pet supply store) when we went to FL for Son #2's graduation. We got a report card detailing everything from eating and sleeping to playing and pooping. Star is right, definitely make sure Tesla is current on everything; in fact, most boarding places won't take an animal who isn't.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Steely, facing the imminent passing of your dad sounds overwhelming; I know that you feel compelled to get there. I'd like to offer that you see this visit as a time of family. A time to share, laugh, cry & everything in between. The last week & hours I spent with my mum was the most blessed time I had ever spent with her. The same can be said for my husband. I felt honored to be that part of mom's & husband's lives. I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

Is it possible to bring your puppy along? It might help you through this difficult time ~ dad may also enjoy spending time with a pup. You never know.

Whatever the case please keep us updated.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am very sorry about your dad. I am glad that you can be with him during this time. It will be hard, but you won't regret it. If at all possible, take some type of recorder and record him telling family stories. You, your mother, matt, even Matt's kids will all treasure these recordings. My most precious possessions are the recordings of my great gma telling about her childhood and the family history, the cassettes my grandparents used to send us instead of letters, and the videos of my parents reading books to my kids. If at all possible put these on the computer and make many backup copies. Keep a copy with your will for your son.

If all you have is a cassette to record him, go ahead and use it. They can be converted to mp3 files - we got a gizmo to do it for under $30 just recently.

Can Matt keep Tesla for you? Otherwise a kennel or dog hotel would be good if you cannot take her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Steely

You know unfortunately bringing Pup is not an option. :(
My Mom is allergic to dogs, and their house is so small that I have to stay in a hotel which is where Tesla would end up spending all of her time. All around probably not the best for Tesla. I think I have found a pretty cool (relatively inexpensive) option for a doggy hotel. Since she is still a puppy, she might like being with other puppies - I hope? The only time they are in their crate is to sleep. Originally the goal was to have Matt care for Tesla and our other 2 dogs Diesel and Steele (who Matt now has) - but Diesel has become aggressive over the years. I have tried to work with the 3 of them for the last month, and without a muzzle, I cannot leave Tesla with Diesel. I would not do it, and I certainly would not leave Matt with that responsibility.

Anyway, I talked to my Mom tonight, and now she is being rather wishy washy about when she wants me to come up - but I told her I would be up there Fri or Sat - I just know, now is the time.

Thanks for your prayers and support.

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know which one, but a friend told me one of the pet hotels linked to a national chain has webcams so you can log in and see you pet while you are away. Might be worth looking into.

TerryJ2

Aw, Steely, I am so sorry.
Sigh.
I think boarding is the best for your dog at this point. (Expect the dog to be in dire need of a bath afterward, though.)
I am sending strength for you, your mom and your dad. I hope that at least some emotional healing can happen when you are there. Just the fact that you are there, even if you don't talk, is enough. Really.