Going to the ER on a Friday nite during flu season

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its pretty much verification that whatever patience I had goes right out the window after 3 hours. We thought SO's hip had finally gone - he couldn't walk. At 4:30 took him in - Had to get an orderly with a wheel chair to get him out of the truck and into the chair and there is a 30 minute wait just to get to the window to tell them what is wrong, and was told there was a 2 hour wait - they lied. The waiting room was jammed so I wheeled him off to the side. One of the nurses aids came up to me, pointed to some tape on the floor like I was an idiot or something and said I was not allowed to be on this side of the tape, and said to move him into the waiting room.

At one time I would have sheepishly said oh, sorry, ok but said NO - he has no immune system and I am not going to put him in a room with flem flying around as people are coughing and hacking and tossing their cookies and if you insist on me doing this, I want your name and your supervisors name. We stared at each other for a minute, and she decided to put us in the room they use for people who have had loved ones die in the ER,

Its now 5 hours and we finally made it to the back - they did an Xray of h is hip, the ER tech said ohhh when you see this you will know why he is in such pain..Another hour passes and the ER doctor comes by and tells us nothing is wrong with his hip replacement - they are going to give him a pain shot and send him home. At this point, SO can't even bend his leg, its sort of twisted over to the side. Told him I am NOT taking him home home, they need to admit him, and to please call his doctor. Got a sorry, his doctor isn't available he is off with the flu, we are packed, and really, there is nothing wrong with his hip. At 12:30, I told him well, I am leaving him here and you need to admit him - gave SO a kiss and left. They did get ahold of the doctor when they didn't know what to do with him and were told admit him, and he finally got a room at 3:30 in the morning.

I just came back from seeing him - poor thing - he showed me his left leg - from the knee up, it was straight, but from the knee down, his knee AND his foot were pointed to the inside of his right leg. So it wasn't his hip, it was his knee. Today was the first time he was even looked at by a doctor who took one look and ordered an rush MRI - rush meaning tomorrow or Tuesday. He had a physical therapist try and force his knee yesterday to bend, but stopped when she heard his bones grinding. So what do they do, bring him a walker and make him walk. How in the heck can you walk when you knee and foot are pointing to the side.

A few months ago, we had a major inner city hospital be shut down for having a woman DIE in the waiting room - it was heartbreaking - her husband called 911 crying from the waiting room only to be blown off because they were already AT the er, and they don't take calls from there. The security camera showed the cleaning woman sweeping the garbage from the floor around her and she was just lying there, dead.

SO said to me I have gotten so feisty in my old age. Ya think. Don't care anymore about people mumbling under their breath as they walk away from me, or if they think I am rude or pushy. Sheesh, just use some common sense..

marcie

meowbunny

Hope they get some answers and SO is better soon.

Good job on not letting them bully you and forcing them to take care of him!

slsh

member since 1999
Marcie - you rock! I'm so proud of you.

I've noticed a really serious decline in basic common sense in acute care lately. It's maddening. I don't know if my own tolerance has bottomed out or if things are really getting ridiculous, but... something's definitely different.

I'm so sorry SO had to go thru that but I'm so glad he had you there to be his warrior. You feisty woman you, LOL!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ugh. What a nightmare. I know our main hospital here has the same problems. I had a friend who was in there for a month. I dreaded going to see her just because of the 'clientle' that hung around.

Only had to go to the ER here once (different hospital) with easy child daughter when she broke her leg. Happy to say that we were in and out of there quite quickly. This was a private hospital...don't know if that makes a difference.

Hope hubby gets the care he needs.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I realize they are overworked - there were ambulances in the driveway and backed up into the street. But I don't know, to me, if you know flu season this year is going to be horrific and going to bring out this kind of crowd, just have a section metered out for them. There were a few elderly people who had fallen with bloody towels on their heads sitting in amid the coughers and hackers, and I could see from where I was a little girl of about 7 -she had three seizures while I was standing there. Parents would get up and go to the window, were told it wasn't their turn, and would go sit back down again. I said to SO omg, I am so could do an Angela Davis right now. He started laughing and made me laugh as said my age must be showing as he had no clue who she was.

Somewhere along the way I have gone from pro active to absolute militant. The thing that reallly scares me is when that big quake hits and what kind of plan they are going to have - just looking at how they handle the flu season scares the bejesus out of me.

Marcie

Ephchap

You go, girl ! I am Woman, Hear Me Roar ! :laughing:

Poor SO, but I too am glad you were there to get him the medical care he obviously needed. Sheesh.

Sending hugs. I hope they figure out what's going on and it's an easy fix.

Deb

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Good gravy. So many things in this world make me shake my head and this is definately one of them. I hope that your SO gets the help he needs.

Beth