Good Boy!

buddy

Just busted my big jj going pee on our little dog's pee pad. He has only had one accident since we got him and I missed his signs to go out this time. (obvious difference if jj goes vs. buddy dog) I will get rid of it day to remove the smell but he could have made a huge mess and thank heaven he went there! I stopped him and took him out and he finished!

I don't get a easy child to brag about so this is my easy child moment, lol.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Don't you just love it! Glad he at least was smart enough to go there instead of somewhere else. Way To Go JJ!!!

Calamity Jane

Buddy, that is so cute - what a smart boy! We once had a crazy lab who, although he was hilariously mischevious, he never, ever had an accident in the house. Once, I guess he was holding in his wee-wee for too long, and jumped into the bathtub and did his business! We didn't know whether to be grateful or horrified.

Tiapet

Old Hand
:) smart one! Our new furbaby seems to know to have his accidents on the ceramic tiling and not the carpeting, which is great! Oldest difficult child dog, however, not so much. She will go where ever she feels like it when she has them....some are smarter then others!

buddy

lol, buddy dog is very old and so now uses them because he needs to go so much. at least he uses the pad though......

DammitJanet

I have no clue why Abby uses the pads. She does go outside too but it seems will inevitably come inside and potty too. Even in the morning after she has been outside to do her business she will come back in and poop. We just dont get it. She can go all night from the time she comes back inside after being on the chain all day, eat then go back out for her nightly constitutional then come back in and play before bed and not use the potty inside but in the morning, sure as shooting...Tony lets her out at 4 and when he brings her back inside, she will potty.

buddy

How strange, but Buddy used to do that, I'd take him for walks, see him go but he'd come in and need to go again. I just did double walks so he wouldn't go inside but now he falls and the cold paralyzes him. Poor old guy.

DammitJanet

At that hour of the morning we dont actually walk her...well we dont walk her at all. We open the door and leave it cracked so she can come and go as she pleases. We are getting fencing next weekend -thank heavens for craigslist- and then we have to get the 4x4's to put in the ground for the fence. I intend to put a doggy door in the back door and teach her to go in and out of it to use the potty. Hopefully. Im gonna try at least. Move her pads into the laundry room and then outdoors. Hopefully that will teach her to go out the doggy door.

She can get in from outside already by opening our front door but she cant open it to go out. I think if she could go in and out as she needed she might do that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You can also use her favorite treat to help entice her to go through the doggie door at first. The flap might make her nervous until she gets used to it.

Betsy was/is our odd ball. She makes her first trip out of a morning and will empty her bladder. Acts as if she doesn't need to do anything else. Take her back inside and about 10 mins later it's time for her to poo. Here that wasn't an issue. I knew how long to give her in the yard and I didn't have to stand out there with her in the weather. Now with Nichole......it means Nichole has to do that 2nd trip in the morning because her yard isn't yet fenced. Also, if you left her out too long........you have to make sure she potties again before bringing her inside or else she'll just ask to go right back out.....or at times just have an accident.

Maggie is nice and "normal". lol Her only quirk is she is determined to go only on the very edge of her yard........she'd prefer the neighbors yard, but she can't get over there. LOL

InsaneCdn

Lisa? Maggie is "territorial". She marks the edge... and as far beyond as she can get... because she is defining "her" territory. Labelling it well for other dogs. Actually, makes it easier for you to grow grass because she isn't killing it everywhere... AND makes the yard neat, because she kills the grass growing right under the fence so you don't have to trim there... <wink>

DammitJanet

I dont know what happened today but it scared me to death. Billy swears he put her on her chain before he left for work and her chain is one that you really have to pull open the clasp and put it on his collar. It isnt easy to miss putting it on right. If it wasnt on right she would be off right away.

Well because I was up most of the night last night, I slept yesterday from about 9 am till about 2 pm. I then watched a tv show and got up to do a few things and heard Buddy outside. I went to let him in and there was Abby too! I have no clue how she got off the chain. No one can get near her when she is on that chain. She is ferocious. she barks and sounds like she is gonna rip an arm off. No one goes near her except family. She is fine with us. Acts like a big baby. I called everyone I know and no one came over. The only one who isnt answering us at all is Buck and she would let him take her off the chain.

SuZir

Janet: Could it open by itself? My in-laws had a dog who was total houdini. What ever type of clash they put to her chain or latch to her corral, she got it opened some way. She also got over and under the fence (ten foot high, foot under the ground) and was other ways totally unbelievable escape artist. Darn good hound too.

DammitJanet

Im hoping my dog wont attempt to jump the fence we put up for her. We got incredibly lucky the other day. This weekend we are going to pick up a bunch of chain link fence that is a tad bit over 4 ft high. We are going to just bury it about a six inches deep in the ground and then put either barbed wire around the top or hot wire. We do have a hot wire box that we hope still works. We have had it for years now. Probably at least 15 years and it has just sat in a closet. If we have to use hot wire we will just put a line of hot wire around the top of the fence about 6 inches above the top of the fence so if she attempts to jump it, it will shock her. If all else fails we can make the entire fence charged. I really dont want to do that though. We want to have a gate in the fence.

Personally I think she will be happy to have that much room to run around she will be happy. We did find out why the dogs were leaving the yard. A neighbor had buried his deer guts in the field from where he cleaned his deer when he killed them. Tony doesnt do that. He takes them far off into the woods so the dogs wont go looking. He also gives them enough of the specialty items that they are satisfied. They get the bones, hearts, livers and kidneys.