Good dog!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Finally some positive feedback for a pitbull. Not that all of them are bad, or all of them should be angels - but the breed on a whole gets a lot of notrious news. (When it should be the idiot owners in most cases)

This was just such a good story.

InsaneCdn

JMO... but, to me, this has nothing to do with the breed of the dog (other than size... a 10-lb dog isn't going to drag an adult...), and everything to do with the fact that it is a "rescue" dog.

Any dog who's been taken out of a poor situation, given lots of love and solid training... is going to have a loyalty that you just don't get with a "raised from pup" dog.

Rescues take way more work. But you get WAY more back.

(do you hear those tails thumping? that's our two rescue dogs...)

InsaneCdn

LOL Step - what I meant was, I didn't think a 10-lb dog - rescue or not - would have been able to drag the person off the tracks. I've known a couple of small resue dogs who would have died trying, though...

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

The face on that dog is beyond precious. I was just so scared to read on, because the words, "freight train" and "dog" were in the same sentence. I'm so relieved it worked out, although she was hurt pretty badly. I always told my kids that "dog is G-d spelled backwards."

InsaneCdn

But... I've had a 5-lb dog break skin to the point where it needed stitches... And my 50-lb dog won't even close his mouth all the way with someone's arm in it.
That 50-lb dog of yours? You might be surprised what he would do... if you were in danger.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You're totally correct IC - I have seen him protect the kids. And protect the cats from Onyxx...

donna723

Pit bulls have gotten such a bad rap! The only thing wrong with them is some irresponsible owners and that they have become a symbol of the thug culture! They are not by nature an aggressive breed - just the opposite - but we all know what can happen if they fall in to the wrong hands. The real damage is being done to the DOGS by humans who have at times horribly abused them. And it says a lot that almost all of the Michael Vick dogs who had been so terribly abused and taught to fight and kill each other have been rehabilitated and are now living as family pets! They are protective and will react as any other dog reacts, it's just that when they do it, they can cause a lot more damage than a tiny little lap dog because of their size and strength. I've had vets tell me that the breed they've been bitten by the most often is Poodles! And the nastiest, most foul tempered, aggressive dog I have ever known was a tiny little Chihuahua! If he was out of his crate and he could get at you, his teeth would be sunk in your ankles!

DammitJanet

IC...Im sorry but your reply really irritated me and it seems sort of condescending. Star made this thread because there was an article giving positive attention to a breed of dog that normally gets far more than their fair share of negative media attention.

I have no clue why you would lock on to word "rescues" and say that was the one thing that made the story memorable.

BS. This is about Pit Bulls plain and simple.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's nice to see a good story actually showing what pitbulls original reputation was......loyalty to their families.

I hate to see any animal get a bad rep based on the actions of people. It's not fair. I would hesitate to adopt one, but only because I know how rampant dog fighting is around here. But it's just as bad with other breeds too since many around here aren't smart enough to know a true pitbull if it bit them on the rear.

Basset's have the rep of being docile and lazy. They're anything but. They're ferociously protective of their families and have just as much energy as any other breed. And every once in a while, due to poor breeding you can get one that can turn. We've had 2 that turned due to bad breeding. One due to medical reasons, the other........well, we never quite figured out what her issue was, I think it's a genetic quirk as Betsy's personality sort of did a flip around the same age. (concerning other dogs, not people in both cases)

Rescue dogs can be fabulous. I've had a few. And they can be total nitemares. I've had a few of those too.

What we tend to forget is animals are people too, and they also have their unique personalities despite breeding ect, just as we do.

SuZir

Sometimes those reputations are unfair, but often times I do hope people would put more thought to these things when having a dog. To think hard what kind of live they are living. What they want from their dog? What they would do with their dog? There are so many different breeds existing that you can find a suitable dog for almost any type of situation. And many of them can be catastrophes waiting for happening in the wrong situation. And not only if they are treated badly but just because living situation is not suitable etc. You just can't take for example serious livestock guardian dog to live in the city and expect no problems. And with pit bulls you really have to take into account that many will not be at all friendly to other dogs especially outside of the family.

There I live problems tend to be that people take tough looking dogs they can not handle, take those livestock guarding dogs for small gardens in suburbs or simply take a very active working or sport dog and when don't give them enough activities (both exercise and training.) Some of those create mostly nuisance but some can be dangerous situations.

TerryJ2

Wow, what a GREAT dog! And GREAT engineer, that he was able to almost stop in time. It is so hard to stop in time. He must have felt awful about the dog.

Amazing that the dog is still alive. Bravo!
I am not one to outlaw pitbulls. I've seen more good than bad, and most of the bad were trained that way by their owners.