Good iron

Nomad

Staff member
i use to have either a big pile of items to iron or give up and pay through the nose and take them to the dry cleaner. Now, my housekeeper does a few things and I do a few things...I'm happily ironed...without spending a lot of money.

Our housekeeper goes to a house that has one that was over a thousand dollar!?!?! WTH. Bought in Sweden or something. Ok, that is never going to happen. Never.

I go mine years ago at Walmart and it is "so so."

But, I'm looking for an upgrade. Does anyone know of a good iron ? One that gets really hot if you want it very hot? Does steaming too if you want? One that turns off if you accidentally leave it on? I think it's time for a new one. Looking for a very good iron, an upgrade, good quality!

Thank you. :)

LittleDudesMom

I can't remember the last time I used a iron - crafting maybe to make a straight edge...

I use a steamer and have been using it for years now - quicker and easier - stream as you go!

Nomad

Staff member
I actually have a steamer. Never used it. Maybe I should try it. Sigh. I thought I would use it on big and bulky items like jackets or sweaters. But i haven't had the need.

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom bought a Rowenta a couple of years ago when she was taking a sewing class and wanted an upgrade from the 20+ year old iron she had since I was a teenager. She hated the Rowenta because it was very heavy. She has arm/hand problems and moving the heavy iron around was really difficult. She gave it away and got a Black and Decker one for about $30 that she really likes. It has very low and very high settings and does well on both. It also steams very well. She uses a steamer for some things, but prefers to iron.

She likes to iron. I don't even own an iron, lol. I used to drive her crazy by refusing to iron any of my children's clothing. When Wiz was about 4 my mom bought him a shirt that came out of the dryer incredibly wrinkled up. It was like $40, which in my opinion is crazy to spend on a small child's shirt, esp one that dripped and dropped as much of his food as he ate! We lived in a different state from her, and I flat out refused to iron the shirt. She actually paid for me to mail the shirt to her. She would iron it and mail it back to us with a prepaid mailer to send it to her when it got dirty. I thought she had lost her mind. But she really likes to iron and esp to iron little kids clothing.

She is a strange, strange woman, lol!

I would look up some reviews on amazon and also check consumer reports. Then I would go and lift the models I was interested in to see if I would enjoy using them. If Walmart type stores don't have what you want, check sewing stores. Here several of them also carry a selection of irons, generally the more expensive ones.