Good Morning Saturday

Marguerite

G'day, everyone.

It's 9.30 Saturday night here and we have a new government in Australia. It's been an interesting election. I'm not sure, but I think it's the first time that a sitting Prime Minister has lost his seat. The way our elections work - each area, or electorate, has a Member of Parliament who is voted on. We have two main political parties and a number of minor ones. The outgoing government, the conservative one, was very closely aligned with anything George W said, which is one BIG reason for Australia to be in Iraq with your guys. The incoming government - probably would not have sent our troops in, although now they're there they won't be pulling them out in a hurry.

When a person wins an electorate, he takes his seat in parliament. The political party with the most seats forms government and they elect a leader from amongst them, to become Prime Minister. The other main party forms the Opposition. It's unheard of for a Prime Minister to not only have his party lose the election, but for him to also lose his own seat in parliament. So even if his party had won, he would be out of parliament and they would be needing to elect a new PM.

Our new Prime Minister is Kevin Rudd. Nicknamed The Milky Bar Kid. Google him for a photo if you want to see why! He hasn't yet claimed victory, but the results are obvious. The outgoing PM has not yet conceded defeat, but his opponent in his electorate has claimed victory, so it won't be long.

And more news - easy child 2/difficult child 2 just got engaged! husband & I knew it was 'on' for this weekend, but they just got home to announce it. We're still trying to contact easy child to let her know.

So have a good Saturday everyone. Maybe not as momentous as ours, perhaps...

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Good morning friends,

Marg, your election system is a "bit" different than ours - will have to look into this Milky Bar Kid. by the way, congrats to easy child/difficult child 2 on her recent engagement! Wedding to plan now, huh mum?

I'm sipping on newly brewed hmj :coffee: & enjoying the peace of the morning. Enjoying it that much more knowing that kt is in respite & the peace should last all day long. :thumbsup:

I rec'd a shipment from fedex this week - husband ordered me a tabletop watercolor easel & it had arrived. I love surprises - especially when it's about me! :rofl: :crazy2: :painter:

I've been working out the final touches to a couple of preliminary drawings that I intend to paint in watercolor - great timing on husband's part.

It remains cold here - no snow on the ground; just the whipping northerly wind out of Canada. If/when the sun comes out the temps should rise & I can clean my bird feeders & the ground beneath the feeders this afternoon.

Enjoy your Saturday! Don't overdo the spending :shopping: if you're out shopping today.

Hug your loved ones. :flower:

goldenguru

Good morning Marg~

The Milky Bar Kid huh? I don't know - it would be hard to take a politician seriously with a name like that. LOL.

Morning Linda~

I envy you your painting. I wish I had one artistic bone in my body. *sigh* Cold here too. We do have snow on the ground. It was 17 when I took the dog out for her walk yesterday. Of all the places on this earth, can you explain to me why we live where it's sooooo cold? I had to wear wool socks to bed last night. husband didn't want me to warm them on his belly. Imagine that? :blizzard:

I'm having lunch with my dad, easy child and the 'girl be brought home from college'. I think it's love. :miseltoe:

Happy day cyber friends.

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:
Marg- Congrats to easy child 2/difficult child 2 on her engagement! Let us know when they set the date so we can give her a virtual wedding shower, lol! :xmasdancers:
Linda- What a lovely man your husband must be to get you something so thoughtful. Enjoy! :xgift:
GG- Have fun at lunch today! :miseltoe:
My in-laws come over tonight so the house needs to be spotless. Help! :xmasdec:
Have a great day. :rudolph:

LittleDudesMom

:snowman: Good Morning Ladies!!!

Marg, we still have another year before our presidential election and I can't imagine more press coverage than we are having now! Congrats to easy child 2 and her fiance :smile:

Linda, glad you have a quiet and creative day planned :painter:.

GG, I wore socks to bed last night too :cold: Enjoy the lunch with dad and easy child's new love :miseltoe:

TM, I've got company tonight as well :xmasdec: As a matter of fact, I have the cheese, part of my cherry chicken dish, getting soft on the kitchen counter! Hope your gathering is fun and succcessful!

As I said, I'm getting ready to prep my dinner. Fortunately, I am making a chicken dish that can be made ahead and just popped in the the fridge until time to cook it. The rest of the meal is easy and the dessert will go in the crock pot about 1 :sushi:.

We put our tree up yesterday :xgift: just the tree - no ornaments or anything yet. Not sure we will get a chance to decorate today or not. I want to go out and look for a sofa for my family room. I've been looking for a few weeks. One of our local furniture stores is having a pretty good sale today so I want to pop over there later this morning.

Wishing everyone a warm and relaxing Saturday :thumb:\

Shaorn

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Morning everyone.

Marguerite, sorry to say I'm sick of political advertisement already.
Best Wishes on your daughters upcoming marriage. :thumb: Hope all goes smoothly. It's pretty exciting isn't it? I hope to see my son's happily married some day. Not yet but maybe 10 yrs. Of course they have their own timetable. 30 sounds like a good age to marry. :smile:

Today is some clearing of clutter then we are all going out to an early dinner. Afterwards we will hit the mall. easy child needs shoes and mom doesn't get out much. Consequently, she is a non stop shopper when given the opportunity. She will enjoy picking through stuff.

LDM, I wish my tree could go up but almost all the downstairs furniture is covered in plastic. :hammer: I really hoped to be further along. Don't think there will be much done soon for Christmas prep.

Have a lovely day everyone.

TerryJ2

Marg, I thought of you when I saw that in this a.m.'s paper.
Wow, congrats on easy child/difficult child's engagement! Big news!

Happy painting, Linda. I have 3 portrait commmissions and don't want to do any of them. I usually look forward to it but I'm still at the point where I just want to sit and eat and flip through mail order catalogs.
Good luck with-kt.

Goldenguru, have a nice lunch.

Good luck cooking and cleaning, TM and Sharon. I hope you have wonderful dinners.

Shopping, Fran? A brave soul.

:elf: