Good Morning Sunday

Marguerite

Where is everyone? Sleeping in?

I didn't get to post in yesterday morning's thread because husband & I went out to dinner last night (our time) - an annual dinner for his train club. I tried to stick moderately to my diet, but I let myself go with pavlova for dessert. I LOVE pavlova! One of the other men came over and said, "You look like you're really enjoying that - anyone would think you haven't eaten pavlova for months!"
I don't THINK I was being a pig, but maybe my enjoyment was just a bit too obvious!

I was hoping to do some step aerobics today to try to compensate, but my leg has just been too sore. Tomorrow morning I get it ultrasounded, Dopplered to see if it's a clot. Then in a few days (maybe Wednesday) I'll get the rest of the tests done on it.

The weather here - classic nasty midwinter (for us). Snow flurries in the mountains and high areas, some rain (not enough to really wet anything) and a vast amount of wind. The air temperature during the day is about 15C at best, but that is out of the wind. In the wind - it's awful. husband & I walked down to mother in law's place today, I wore my knitted cap with ear protection I bought in New Zealand, plus a thick scarf. I'm glad I had my ears covered,because they were still aching after just a few minutes in the wind. Both of us had our eyes streaming from the wind and the cold.

So tonight I cooked comfort food for dinner - lamb shank casserole, slow-cooked with mushrooms and herbs. If I can find some cheap lamb shanks tomorrow when I'm out getting tests done, I'll grab some to cook more later in the week. The whole house smells warm and savoury.

We've got the heater warming the functional end of the house and the down doona keeping our bed warm. I've been huddled inside wearing outdoor warm clothing all day (except I've not been wearing my down jacket indoors - yet). I know 15 C probably seems tropical to a lot of you, but from what I remember of New Zealand's snowy winter last year, it wasn't as cold as this - except for early morning on Milford Sound when the boat took us out to the ocean and the wind hit us from the Antarctic. THis feels about THAT cold, when we get out in the wind.

I guess that's what we get for living on top of a hill...

Enjoy your Sunday, everybody.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Happy Sunday!

Happy Father's Day to all our fathers on this site and to all our husband's!:D

Today husband would like a day of peace and quiet which is easier said than done. I was hoping for a warm day so I could take difficult child to the pool but the weather is choosing not to cooperate. difficult child is such a daddy's boy that this will be quite a challenge. I have a few ideas so we'll see what happens.

Of course, I still will get to the health club:exercisebike: and sneak in a nap:sleeping:

Wishing everyone a day filled with laughter and smiles:flower:

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:

Marg- You are right that 15 C is a mild winter for some of us, but I suspect I wouldn't fare well in the heat of your summer.

I have a tummy ache so I won't be going to church today. We will celebrate Father's Day with husband this morning and try to head up to see father in law this afternoon.

Our pool is finally open and Duckie took the first swim. She's very pleased, though the water is still cold. I'm sure she'll be back in today. :)

Have a great day! Hi to anyone that snuck in. :salute:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Morning all. Happy Father's Day to all the father's and mother's who have to fulfill both roles.

Marguerite, I love the sound of your comfort food. I'm not sure I could manage without central heating and a down comforter in the winter. The idea of showering every day in the cold make goose bumps appear on my arms. Don't think I have ever heard of Pavlova.

Wiped out, a quiet day sounds like a good gift for Father's Day. I am making blueberry pancakes for husband.

TM, I'm glad to hear you stay put today after your whirlwind week/month/year. Hope you feel better. I love to hear little kids when the pool just opens. They are so excited and joyful no matter what the temp. Our kids spent many hours in the pool thinking up all sorts of creative ways to harness water power to create waterfalls. It was cute.

We got a surprise rain last night. It will do the garden good and a break from the sun this morning feels good. I'm sitting on the patio with my favorite coffee cup and saying hello to my favorite folks.

difficult child has a friend visiting him in NJ. He is out and about with him and in Hog Heaven. LOL.

Everything else is the same. Have a good day all.

LittleDudesMom

:beautifulthing: Happy Sunday and Father's Day to everyone's husband and the dads on the board!

Marg, I hope everything is ok with your leg - good luck with the tests tomorrow, you'll be in my thoughts. The lamb sounds delish!!

Sharon, giving husband a quiet day with a teen and a preteen sounds like a big order! Maybe the gym then the movies.

TM, hope you are feeling better and that all the dads in your life have a wonderful day!

Fran, yum, blueberry pancakes - can I come? I went out to water the plants late yesterday but it looked like we were going to get some rain - never materialized! As soon as I finish the cup, I'll get out there and get it done!

Late night here last night and easy child, her friend, and difficult child are stil sleeping. It's nice and quiet and the heat has not begun yet for the day. Like Fran, I am out on the patio with my coffee enjoying the scenary and the temps.

easy child and difficult child will drive over to their dads today. He rarely answers his cell on Sundays, so I hope they are able to touch base with him and see if he is home! Bonehead!

Have a great Sunday all!

Sharon

Marguerite

G'day, all. husband is nagging me to come to bed - we've been short on sleep lately.

A quick note to explain about pavlova - it was named in honour of the dancer, Anna Pavlova. It's a famous Aussie dessert (although New Zealand reckon it's a Kiwi dessert). It's a meringue shell baked as a disc usually several inches thick and the size of a dinner plate. You cover it with whipped cream and then top it with chopped fresh fruit. Strawberries are a favourite, or pineapple, mango, kiwifruit, passionfruit. It's just glorious in summer. You bake the meringue shell ahead of time (of course - it's served cold) but once assembled with cream and fruit it has to be served immediately, because in a few hours the fruit juices will eat away the meringue and turn it all into syrup. There's something about the sweet crunch with the tartness of the fresh fruit and smoothness of the cream... last night's was a commercial one where the inside of the meringue shell is soft like marshmallow. I like all kinds, as long as some of the shell has crunch...

Happy Father's Day to all those for whom it is Father's Day. Ours isn't until September.

Marg

N

Nomad

Happy Father's Day to everyone!
S[ecial hugs and prayers to single moms out there and to those who are missing their fathers.
The last few days have been difficult child stressful...but in a way...a little Father's Day blessing has occurred because there was a big improvement this morning! We are going out to dinner tonight and having a yummy dessert here at the house. Good thoughts out to all. :D