Good Morning Sunday

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

We still are enjoying summery weather, cloudless skies. Today husband & I had a quandary - he bought a woodchipper yesterday, assembled it, started it up, and the thing shut itself down after making some horrible sounds. We don't exactly live close to shops, but he will be home on Tuesday, he had planned on ripping out more weeds today and Tuesday, and mulching them all instead of filling our green waste bin and having it all carted away. We fill the bin too fast and then have to wait two weeks before we can grub out more weeds. The chipper should help us process it all on site (via the chookhouse or the compost bins).

So we decided to drive out "to the mainland" and take the chipper back to the store.
But they didn't have a replacement, so now we're back to where we were. husband can get to another branch of the store next Saturday, so we'll have to wait until next weekend before we can get back to the weeds.
A write-off as a trip.

We took mother in law with us though, plus difficult child 3, to get them out of the house and some fresh air and sunshine. difficult child 3 is shopping around for a Nintendo Ds retractible stylus (surprisingly difficult to find, without having to buy it as part of a lot of unwanted hardware). mother in law is shopping for a pretty frilly blouse to wear to the wedding, husband bought a pair of shoes while I bought a pair of blue leggings.

We headed back home and got on with some bits and pieces, nothing much other than a couple of loads of washing. The second load was difficult child 3's, we got him to do it since HE had fouled two pairs of jeans through not being careful when mucking out the chookhouse, and those jeans STANK! So I talked him through loading the washing machine, putting in the detergent and fabric softener, then later on husband showed him the right way to hang up jeans on the clothes line.
No worries about rain - none in the forseeable future.

Our news is currently full of the bikie wars. You may have seen news of the murder at Sydney airport, where two bikie gangs clashed and a man, brother to one bikie, was brutally bashed to death in front of an airport terminal full of people as well as CCTV, and then the men got into cabs and were driven away. The cops did stop the cabs and they're getting the blokes responsible, but it's continuing. Last Wednesday night as we were leaving the celebrant's (for easy child 2/difficult child 2's wedding plans) we had to get out of the way of police and ambulance screaming out of a side street and past us. We found out later, they were heading to the most recent drive-by shooting in the bikie wars. Our government is considering bringing in strong "consorting" laws which will allow police to prosecute bikers who are gathered in groups. I really don't think that will work. Besides, not all bikies are the problem, it's the big gangs who are involved in drug trafficking and the battle is over who has control of the drugs.

Life certainly is interesting sometimes...

Enjoy your Sunday.

Marg

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:

Marg- Ugh! I hate wasted trips! I hope you get your wood chipper next week... you may want the original store to contact the branch so that the new chipper will be held for you and not sold out.

husband and Duckie will be staying home from church today because Duckie was sick Friday night. Though I'll probably let her go to a bowling party this afternoon because she worked hard on her research project yesterday. We ended up running out to the zoo anyway and taping the segment with the zookeeper because Duckie was concerned we wouldn't be able to reschedule. She (with a little help from me) found a cool picture to color in (and use as a hand-out to other students), made a snow leopard word find for hand-out, colored in a map of the snow leopard ranges in Asia and began typing her report. Not bad for a sick day! Plus... she felt a little better about missing the egg hunt when one of her friends called from home sick too.

Have a great day! Hi to anyone that snuck in! :salute:

Andy

GOOD MORNING
:D:D:D
Marg - I hate when new items do not work. It is always a huge inconvience to put in the hassle necessary to fix the situation. Did they guarantee you one next week? E-Bay might have a stylus. The bike wars sound very dangerous.

Tired - Duckie did get a lot done yesterday! Good for her. The hand out will be great.

I will need to go to church a tad early this morning. My snack person just called to say that she was sick and can not make it in so I get to set out snacks.

Yesterday was a good day for difficult child. He worked through feeling weird at Wal-Mart while we waited for husband and diva to arrive. We were going to give them the shopping cart to purchase everything and then we would head home ASAP. By the time we all found each other (husband had the cell phone to switch it over to a new plan), they were also ready to leave and difficult child was feeling much better.

difficult child went to Rock and Bowl where lights are off and disco lights flashing. We were there about one hour. He bowled six games with five of them over 100 and ended with two games of 117 each so he was happy. We went to Wal-Mart after that and I told him part of his feeling weird was probably adjusting from the dark alley to Wal-Mart's lights.

This week's psychiatrist appointment will be postponed again due to the flooding in Fargo. I hold my breath hoping we can get another earlier date. The cold weather is putting the flooding on hold and I hope the freezing weather doesn't cause more ice jammings. I don't know if freezing weather makes the dikes more vulnerable or not? I hear there are ice jamming around most of the bridges in Fargo including the interstate bridge which is a major one. The airboats are cutting their way through ice to check on those who have refused to evacuate just in case they change their minds! I posted a link to a picture of 2001 flooding on the prayers to Fargo thread. It shows the therapist/psychiatrist building and psychiatric hospital. husband stated there was a call out to help reinforce the psychiatric hospital.

I hope everyone has a good day - find a way to make your kids laugh.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Marg-I too hate when things don't work! Good for difficult child 3 for learning to do the laundry. easy child has been doing hers she turned 10 or 11. I can't wait til my difficult child can do his but I'm not holding my breath. The bikie wars sound scary!

TM-Glad you were able to get in the interview at the zoo and that Duckie seems to be on the mend!

Andy-I'm glad difficult child had a good day yesterday and hope you are able to reschedule for an early date.

husband and I went to dinner last night and then to see my niece's new house. After that we came back and built the fire, ate popcorn, and watched part of a series we have on dvd.

I went to church this morning and in awhile husband are headed to see a movie. easy child isn't feeling great (or so she says). We will pick up difficult child from respite this afternoon.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day:peaceful:

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Marg, So sorry about the wasted trip with the woodchipper! I am glad everyone got out of the house though. Kudos for difficult child 3 and the laundry. Those are excellent skills that he will always need. So sorry to hear about the violence. When you think about it, drugs are now the currency in violence that alcohol was here in the States in the early part of the 20th century. Mexico is in horrible shape right now, the word has come out that Americans are not currently safe there. The Mexican cartel is active in our city here, there have been several drug related kidnappings and murders. We just don't want to get in the way of a stray bullet. One of my clients did - she was picking up her laundry at dry cleaners on a weekday afternoon. A drug robbery went bad, and her spinal cord was severed by a bullet. She is now a paraplegic. She was a researcher at a local University - it is just so tragic.

TM, Duckie's project sounds great! So sorry to hear that she hasn't been feeling well. The bowling party should cheer her up!

Andy, I am happy to hear that difficult child had such a good day. We all have our fingers crossed for the folks in Fargo. I know it is such a difficult situation for everyone there.

As I'm writing this I can hear cheering from the street behind my house. The ING marathon is being run here today, and as usual husband ran it. easy child and I were able to track his progress online (really cool) and went out to cheer him along. His time looks good, it should be 3:40. The Abominable Seed and Feed Band (don't you love the name) is playing as well. They are a fun group of baby boomers who dress wildly and throw caution to the wind. It was a lot of fun!

We've had an eventful weekend. We all went to the airport and spent four hours with our niece. We tried to cheer her up with dinner and sweets. No alcohol is allowed, can you imagine? New regulations don't allow the soldiers to drink at all when they are on active duty. She said "What's a war without alcohol?". She has buddied up with a very nice ICU nurse who is leaving her 15 month old daughter behind. There was a little girl just that age next to us as we were dining, and you could see the pain in her eyes. It was just so very hard to say goodbye to them both. We'll be sending her lots of care packages once she gets settled where she will be based in Iraq- it may take up to a week. People in the busy airport were so amazing. Lots of people came up and thanked them for their service.

Yesterday we were trying to relax a little a home. It has been raining heavily for three days and I told husband that the combination of so much rain and high wind worried me about our trees. Sure enough, maybe twenty minutes later, a huge thump shook the house. It was the 60 foot hemlock next to our pond on the east side of our house! It looks like it gently laid down on our roof. The best we can tell there is little or no damage to the house, but it is going to be very tricky to get the tree off of the house due to the pond. We were able to get the tree removal folks out yesterday. They are coming out Monday to get started. This is our second claim on our home owners insurance for a tree - I hope that they don't cancel us! We will miss the beauty and the shade of the hemlock.

I hope that everyone has a good day today, with lots of rest and relaxation!

Valerie