Good Morning Sunday

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

School goes back tomorrow for difficult child 3. Time to get him back into a routine and to see how he fares on the new medication. It will be interesting...

We had a good day today playing trains. Last night husband & I sent our apologies for church - double booked again!
It was cold and I wore about 6 layers of clothing, we didn't think the place would be busy but it was, even when some early spots of rain began just after lunch. husband's train broke down almost as soon as he got it going, there were other problems with trains partly due to the crowds and little boys throwing gravel onto the train tracks caused one locomotive to derail badly enough to need repairs. Nobody injured, thank goodness, but the kids looking on got a very important lesson in exactly why you don't put stuff on train tracks. I explained how a small piece of gravel the size of a pea is, for one of our miniature trains, like a huge boulder for a full-sized steam locomotive. husband helped with the repairs and the loco was back out on the track.

difficult child 3 did well, he helped with keeping the coal buckets filled until he was no longer needed, then he took himself off to chip slag off some freshly welded train track - nobody asked him to do this, it wasn't a work day, it was cold and he could have gone back to the car or into the members shed to keep warm. So I'm pleased with him.

We've come home driving through more rain, the drive along the coast road was shrouded in mist and the rainforest was much darker than usual.

Over the next few days I have to finish off the short film clip audition for easy child 2/difficult child 2 (and post it) which I think also requires her to print out and sign an agreement form from the 'Net as well as clip a coupon from the magazine application form. So I'll have to drive out to see her to do this. mother in law needs to go to te bank so I've offered to drive her on Tuesday, I'll arrange to meet up with easy child 2/difficult child 2 at the same time. There's also a good job advertised in the local paper that I'm pushing her to apply for (it gets her into her chosen career of teaching plus gets her out of her current job as checkout chick, a job she's hating right now because she has a boss who's a bully and doesn't know how to supervise staff).

What I've got to do isn't too onerous but it is going to take a certain amount of mental juggling to keep all the balls in te air at the same time.

Trish, if easy child 2/difficult child 2 gets this audition accepted, she could be working up near your neck of the woods for a few months. I'll have to see if she can move in with my brother's family for the duration, at least for the days when she would be working up there.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Morning Marguerite. I'm not 100% sure but I thought it was Sunday Morning. LOL. I'll take another weekend day though. Thanks.

Sounds like playing with miniature trains was a big success for all involved. It's unfortunate that kids throwing gravel would not be corrected by parents. It does appear difficult child 3 is taking initiative.

Stay warm. 6 layers is a lot of clothing. Damp does seem to go through layers.

husband and I took a long drive yesterday. Just the 2 of us going up into the mountains. We checked out some bike trails and areas that would appeal to us if we wanted to hike. It was a beautiful day. Hot at home but at times 10 to 15 degrees cooler in the mountains. Summer sees to drag on at times.

Today we do some yard work. Our tomato's are red and need picked. I also have a bumper crop of basil. I never made pesto before but I think today will be the day.

difficult child is bored. He is already looking forward to his birthday next month. Poor guy.

The heat is starting so I better get out and walk the dogs early again even though I really want to drink more coffee.
Have a peaceful Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marguerite

Oops! I did acknowledge it was Sunday in my message though.

It's so difficult, coming and going across the International Date Line...

As for the layers of clothing - although there was the occasional drop of rain, I didn't get wet at all. It was just a cool breeze, a "lazy wind" (can't be bothered blowing around you, it goes right through instead).

Fran your tomatoes sound wonderful. If you want a tomato relish recipe, let me know. It's what I make when I have too many tomatoes and want some summer taste preserved for winter.

To make good pesto - I don't use pine nuts any more, I use cashews instead. BF2 is allergic to pine nuts. The best tip I can give you - toast your nuts first, I use a dry frypan and toss them around in it for a few minutes. And do it fresh, don't pick the basil and leave it for hours/days until it starts to go black! Then when it's all made and you bottle it, make sure there is enough olive oil to form a pool on the top, it will stop the pesto going at all mouldy or black.

I've kept pesto for months in the fridge, it also keeps in the freezer. Fabulous stuff - a wonderful treat is to spread a little on a cracker and then top it with either a slice of fresh tomato or a sun-dried tomato.

We tend to use it mostly instead of butter, as a spread on a salad sandwich. Before using, just stir in the pool of oil on top, it will settle back out afterwards.
In the fridge the oil content sometimes solidifies and it could look pale yellow and creamy - it's just 'frozen' olive oil, it's perfectly OK as it melts.

There's nothing like fresh produce you've grown yourself - a touch of luxury, priceless.

Marg

Last edited by a moderator:

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:

Marg- I hope the new medication helps difficult child 3 as he gets into the swing of things for school. by the way, I edited the thread title.

Fran- husband will be so jealous when I tell him your tomatoes are ready for picking. It's been too cold and wet for ours to even bud yet. :(

Duckie needs to get up in a minute; she has church and will be acolyting today. After that is a birthday party for her and meal planning for me. I'll run to the grocery store after dinner.

Have a great day! Hi to anyone that snuck in. :salute:

therese005us

Hi everyone!

We didn't get to go to Bluebell this weekend as my daughter got the same virus I did and was trotting off to 'you know where' inbetween filling a bucket, most of yesterday. I figured driving 3 1/2 hours with three in the back (one wetting and one vomiting) wouldn't be much fun. I was feeling too tired to drive much after my morning with DS19 anyway.

Marg, if your daughter comes up here, I have a spare room for her! I'd love to help her out!

Today we visited a friend with a broken leg, I cooked dinner for them both and we stayed till about 7pm. It was a little challenging as cherub was not her best (see other post) and I was constantly bobbing up and down to attend to her toileting needs.

Our German student learned more slang from my friend's husband and she and my daughter played the flute together while we ate scones and drank tea. Sadly, no Royal Doulton in sight.

When I came home DS had not filled water bottles, so I traded leftovers for full bottles despite his plea to 'wait till tomorrow'. Since it's easy to appeal to a hungry tummy - I won! for a change!

tomorrow I have an appointment at cherub's school with the Guidance officer, so I'm looking forward to learning more about her past history at school.

have a great Sunday!

Andy

GOOD MORNING
:D:D:D
Marge - Good for difficult child 3 in doing extra "chores" to help the train show. I hope easy child 2/difficult child 2 applies for the new job opening.

Fran - You must have our share of Summer heat. We have had the coldest Summer since I can not remember. I like it though (except the winter coat weather last week was taking things a little overboard).

Tired - I hope Duckie has a great day!

Therese- The flutes sound wonderful! I am sorry you are having a challenge with Cherub. Hang in there, she needs your love and understanding.

Yesterday difficult child planted me a flower garden. It is so nice. He had prepared the area a few days ago by pulling out the weeds. We went to Wal-mart for topsoil and the flowers. Yesterday he mixed the top soil with the dirt, put it back in the planting area, dug holes for the flowers, planted them and watered them. We put my two low gazing balls and two bunny statues among the flowers and I have a beautiful little flower garden.

Today we will have a grill out meal for Diva's New York City friend who is flying back home tomorrow. I need to go prepare the kitchen and run out to get the food.

I hope everyone has a great day and finds a way to make their kids laugh.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Marg-The miniature trains sound interesting. Good for difficult child helping with-o being asked!

Fran-Sounds like a nice day yesterday with your husband! I'm jealous of your tomatoes-mine were all wrecked in the hail storm in early July. If I am lucky I might get a couple this year. My basil is doing well too! I made pesto for the first time last year-yumm!! If you want you could send us some of your heat-we've had a cool summer.

TM-Sounds like another busy day for you and Duckie. I need to do my meal planning for the week as well.

Therese-I hope your daughter is feeling better today. How nice of you to cook dinner for your friend with the broken leg.

Yesterday I went to my niece's shower. Ended up sitting in between my mom and my dad's wife. Interesting! Also very funny to me but not to my mom was that she didn't even recognize me at first.

I had my hair up-actually had on make up and earrings and she hadn't seen me since I've lost 17 pounds. I walked up and said hi to her and I guess she didn't here me say mom. She looked at me and said she was sorry but she didn't recognize me. I'm like, "Mom, it's me your daughter." I thought it was funny but she felt bad that she didn't recognize me.

Today it's a visit to the health club and the grocery store. difficult child is in a mood-oh joy.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day:peaceful: