Good Morning Thursday

Marguerite

G'day people. How are you all faring with the storms and ice?

I had to go out today - husband & I had a doctor to see, then I dropped him off at the railway station to get to work while I headed to the mall to sort out a few things - my glasses (needed repairing); my mobile phone (needed to get a replacement for the one I went swimming with on Monday) and grocery shopping.

It seemed that with the heat, a lot of other people had the same idea - get to the mall where it's air conditioned. No parking available, except one hidden spot on the roof. In full sun. I was lucky to get any parking spot at all.

Jobs done, I loaded the car (gasping in the heat - it really is like a sauna here) and headed home, air conditioning on full blast in the car. I had planned on a swim, but ended up chickening out, it was just too fierce. I did manage to throw a few buckets of water into the fish pond, which has dried up in the heat. It's enough to keep the water plants alive, I hope. At least there were no fish - just tadpoles.

We had a brief storm just after I got home, I got wet while unloading the shopping. No matter - I was dry in minutes. So was everything else.

By evening when husband got home, a mild cool change had blown in. We went to the beach but I didn't go fully in for a swim, just wading on the edge with the cooler sea breeze was all I needed.

The wind picked up tonight, but is beginning to drop now. They've forecast rising temperatures again through the night, tomorrow will be even hotter than today was. But at least tonight, we have had a few hours' respite.

If tomorrow is over 30 C, the record will fall - the longest heatwave period for Sydney since records began. And it's forecast to be at least 35. Today at mother in law's the outside temperature reached 43 C (109 F). The moisture form Cyclone Yasi is working its way down here which is why it's so humid. We'll be getting storms over the weekend, we've been told. But hot summer storms, they don't cool anything down. As long as there's no lightning, we like to stand out in the rain when the weather is hot like this.

Tomorrow is a day at home. A friend & I have arranged to have a morning swim together, but otherwise it's stay home and get some jobs done.

That's what our summer days are like.

I do like summer, I miss the hot weather when winter comes. But too many days like we're having could begin to change my mind!

Enjoy your Thursday. Stay safe.

Marg

Good Morning Everyone,

Marg, After a summer like the one you're having, I don't blame you if you don't look forward to summer next year!!! Hoping you get some cooler weather soon...

We were lucky because we didn't get hit with blizzard conditions. Our storm was mostly snow and frozen rain. The roads were dangerous because of all the icy conditions and school was canceled yesterday. No snow or sleet in the forecast today and the kids are back in school!!!:happyguy:!!! However, the roads are still dangerous, lots of black ice.

easy child/difficult child 3's driving class wasn't canceled last night. She has class again tonight. The classes were supposed to be over this week but because of the weather, they have an additional week to go. She has her first driving lesson Sunday afternoon.

difficult child 2's science class at the community college didn't get canceled Tuesday even though our public schools closed early. I'm always grateful for small miracles because if it had been canceled, he would have been a "monster" to deal with. Luckily, he doesn't have the class on Wednesdays so it made having him home yesterday a bit easier. I'm just so glad he is back in school today!!!

Heading to the kitchen for some more coffee. :coffee2: As usual, I'm freezing even though it's a "balmy" 18 degrees, lol... husband said he heard that we might reach the 30's today. I'll believe it when it actually happens, lol...

Hope everyone who got hit with the blizzard, etc... got through it safely!!! Have a good day!!! SFR