good movie suggestions

Pam R

Geez, you and husband and DS are cut from the same cloth. :rofl: That's THEIR list.

I watched the Sarah Plain and Tall series by Hallmark again this weekend.

husband loves Meg Ryan and You've got Mail is one of his favorites.

I like Tom Hanks and Kevin Costner in his many baseball movies.

I prefer romantic comedies mostly. The last I watched was Serendipity.

Pam R.

Steely

Wow, you guys are great. I just filled up my Queue in my Netflix account with 30 plus movies per your suggestions. That should last me for over a year!!!! Thanks for all the great suggestions! Some I have watched, but most I have not. YAY!

AllStressedOut

Hot Fuzz was pretty gory. It was funny in parts. Somedays I love these strange humor type of movies and some days I'm over it. I think the night I watched it I wasn't too into it. Maybe I'd love it another night.

I need to go to Blockbuster and find something good to watch. Some days sitting on your but* watching movies is the best thing EVER.

SRL

I almost never sit and watch movies--I have a portable on the kitchen counter and watch while I'm doing dishes or cooking. Lots of interruptions but I don't really care.

The exception is when I'm sick. During my Mononucleosis Film Festival last spring I watched more than I'd watched in years while holed up on the recliner. Watched all 6 Star Wars movies--perfect as I could doze out in the middle and wake up for the last hurrah. ;-)

Star*

call 911........call 911

Young Frankenstein? All DF has to say is "SITTIN ON A RITZ" and I'm done for.

Bird cage? A Classic.....ARMONDO>>>> yes Nomad I know what you mean.

WE thought Wild Hogs was hysterical and good up until Peter Fonda walked in. As a biker - he stinks. Apparently we've thought this since his Captain America days. He's no biker the part was all wrong for Ray Liota too. He's a gangster, not a biker. Other than that? Hysterical.

Bridge to Tarabithia? WHAT a depressing movie. Made me angry to waste my time watching it. Such a "Magical" build up to a realistic life.

Black Snake Moan - was pretty decent. Kinda like reforming a difficult child of sorts NOT for children at all.

Serephim Falls - We like westerns so it was weird, but okay. Pierce Brosnon as an aging cowboy - yuk.

Over the Hedge - animated cute thing.

The Illusionist - probably the best movie I've seen in years. Historically based and creepy, but just keeps you on the edge of your seat.

and one of my favorites:
Grumpy old Men and Grumpier old Men. Good chick flick, Saturday afternoon movies to see back to back.

Marguerite

All of you who love "The Birdcage" (as do I) - fabulous as it is, it isn't a patch on the original - so do a search for "La Cage Aux Folles". It is in French but with subtitles, and even funnier than the incomparable Robin Williams and breathtakingly talented Nathan Lane. And I know that is saying something.

And another Mel Brooks line from "Young Frankenstein" which has our family in stitches - you turn your head to the side, press on the side of your face that is towards the front, and say slowly and deliberately, "Put the candle back..."

There are so many fabulous lines from that film - "WHAT hump?" "Taffeta, darling - taffeta!" and [sung] "Ah - sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you!"

And a joke closely connected to "Young Frankenstein" - there is a car crash outside the old castle. Bobby and Janice Hill are both injured, but Bobby drags Jane from the burning wreck, carries her to the castle, limping from his own horrific injuries, and knocks on the door. A hunchback opens the door, see the injured couple and says, "Come in! My master is a doctor, he can help you!"
The doctor appears, says, "I,' sorry, i'm not a medical doctor, but we are so isolated here I am your only hope. Come, Igor - bring Mr & Mrs Hill to the laboratory."
So they go downstairs, Igor now carrying Mrs Hill and the doctor supporting Mr Hill. Igor puts Mrs Hill on the first slab while Mr Hill, now overcome with the trauma and exhaustion, collapses on the second slab. The doctor and Igor wok on both Mr and Mrs Hill, but to no avail - Mrs Hill's injuries are too severe, and even Mr Hill succumbs. Then the doctor and Igor then try their radical, top-secret, new apparatus on both patients, but again - failure. The doctor is distraught, and retires to his tower to play his organ. As the loud chords swell and vibrate the castle, Igor notices the woman's fingers suddenly twitch, and a movement as the man's chest begins to rise and fall with each breath. He is so excited, he calls out, "Master, Master! The Hills are alive, to the sound of music!"

Enjoy your movie night, won't you?

Marg

Well wife questions whether I'm a closet gay whenever I mention it, but "Pride and Prejudice" -- we own the BBC miniseries, and I thought the most recent remake, with Keira Knightley, was very well done.

"Amazing Grace" with Ioan Gruffaud (sp?) is a great feel-good movie and historically accurate, or as close as Hollywood can get to historically accurate anyway. Saw it twice. It is not the story of John Newton, by the way, as you might surmise from the title, although Newton, played by Albert Finney, plays a part.

Another great feel-good movie is "Remember the Titans" with Denzel Washington and Will Patton.

"Master and Commander" is very good, gives a good portrayal of life in the Royal Navy in the early 19th century. A lot of research went in to getting the uniforms and nautical terms and sailing details correct, which they did, for the most part. Opinion seems to be divided about 50/50 amongst Patrick O'Brian fans whether the film is a travesty or the greatest film ever made. I'm in the latter camp.

"Walk the Line" (biopic about Johnny Cash) with Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix is simply outstanding. The two leads trained for six months to sing the songs themselves.

"Titanic", if you happen to be one of the two or three people who didn't see it (it holds the box office record). The historical backdrop, particularly the visuals, is authentic, and the attention to detail quite amazing. For example: (from here)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the time of the Titanic disaster steering orders were still given in concurence with an old tradition. Early ships were steered with an oar and then later with a tiller that would control the rudder. In order to turn to starboard you would turn the tiller to port and vice-versa. So if an officer said hard-a-starboard that meant turn the tiller to starboard and the ship would go to port. During the early 18th century, the wheel was introduced. Now turing the wheel to port would steer the ship to port, but the old orders stayed the same i.e if an officer said hard-a-starboard (like in the movie), the helmsman would turn to port, in essence the helmsman had to turn in the opposite direction to what the officer had said. Confusing? Yes, but this was finally corrected in Britain on January 1st, 1933 when hard-to-port finally meant turn to port and hard-to-starboard finally meant to starboard.</div></div>The three "Lord of the Rings" movies.

"Dr. Zhivago" is one of my favorites. A sweeping epic. Stunning cinematography (loses a lot of its impact on the small screen though).

wife and I loved "Wild Hogs". I was depressed by "Bridge to Terabithia". My gr.daughter loves to tell her friends that I cried at that movie. What can I say? I'm a softie.

muttmeister

You all have mentioned some of my favorites that I'd forgotten (Arsenic and Old Lace with a young Cary Grant has me rolling on the floor laughing hysterically every time I see it.) And my two favorite movies of all time are Young Frankenstein and Lilies of the Field. I watch Lilies of the Field every time I'm in a bad mood and it always makes me feel better. I have all of the Indiana Jones movies on DVD and enjoy them all over and over again. And when my friends were here for Labor Day we drug out Oh Brother Where Art Thou? and laughed ourselves silly.

Steely

Wow, you guys are amazing. I now have my Queue filled for at least 2 years of movies.

by the way - not to endorse a certain company - but Netflix is an amazing concept!!! How can you beat ordering movies with no late fees! For me, the late fees always killed me, so I rarely rented. Now, I can keep a movie for weeks if I want until I am "in the mood" to watch it - without anyone caring. It has brought new meaning to movie night, in my opinion!

Again, thanks - this is great! Movies I would have never thought of are now waiting for me!