good news/bad news

Kathy813

Staff member
This was the email that I received from easy child last week. I guess she used the good news/bad news approach. :hammer:

<span style="color: #3366FF">i got an 85 on my first psychiatric test, one of the highest grades i might add.
but i got a speeding ticket yesterday so i thought about it and take
whatever ever the fine is out of my spending money next month.
</span>

She seems to miss the point that our insurance will probably go up, too. Sheesh.

I am also wondering when her expensive private school will teach punctuation and capitalization. :rofl:

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Ummmmm....yeah...sounds like she was going for the butter up mom then hit you where it hurts. Might want to see about hiring a lawyer to see if you can get the charges dropped to something much less to impact insurance less.

everywoman

Sometimes showing up in court results in the points being dropped for a higher fine---it's worth the effort if it stops insurance from going up. Also, in SC, if you take a defensive driving course, you can get points back!

dreamer

here showing up in court rather than simply paying the fine most often results in no conviction on record if you successfully go x number of months with no new tickets. And with no conviction, insurance is not even notified. Sometimes it does involve attending a 4 hour class for driving safety, but that is well worth it.
As for punctuation and such in email? LOL- there is a big uproar about that very issue out and about, LOL...seems many are complaining that this lack of punctuation etc is not only an issue in informal intimate communications, but is starting to also be an issue in the business world, as well.

The good news is your child DID email you and DID own up to the ticket and also did seem to try to take responsibility for the ticket.

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The good news is your child DID email you and DID own up to the ticket and also did seem to try to take responsibility for the ticket. </div></div>

Good point, dreamer. That's why she's my easy child.

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>ROFL about the good news/bad news scenario. My easy child does the same thing. :rofl: They aren't perfect but they show increasing amounts of maturity and responsibility.

Unlike my difficult child who is stuck at 9yrs old some days. :hammer: </span>

bby31288

I love the good/news bad news technique. Kids always keep us on our toes thats for sure. Ditto about showing up at court, etc.

Nancy

Kathy,

I actually think that's very mature of her. I love the good news first to soften the blow. But she did take responsibility for the ticket and is willing to pay for it. Gotta love em.

Nancy

TerryJ2

Aw, Kathy! That's so typical...
so sorry about the speeding ticket but glad she passed the test with-a nice grade.
LOL about the spelling and punctuation!

donna723

I'm sitting here giggling because I thought that I had just gotten one of those emails from my son! :mad: It read, "When did the Court House get an elevator?" :shocked:

Knowing there was court today, I'm immediately wondering what he's done and why is he in court, in MY county! He lives two counties away from me and he's usually headed for work by this time!

I came home early today (but he didn't know that) and he had just sent me that email. I live exactly a half-block from the Court House. He was outside on the Court House lawn, emailing from his cell phone! I said that I had to take the dog outside - I'd wave at him! Turns out, he was a witness at a child custody hearing for a friend, and they wouldn't let any of the witnesses into the courtroom until it was their turn to testify, so they were all just milling around. At least that's better than what I was thinking!

rejectedmom

Isn't is awful how we always think the worst when it comes to our difficult child's? I remember always wondering if it was my difficult child when I heard a siren. I am glad it was nothing. I am sure you are relieved. -RM

DammitJanet

In NC, you can hire a lawyer and they will get the charges dropped to something like a muffler not working (I have no idea, dont ask) which doesnt go on insurance. You pay the lawyer like 400 but it is much less than the increase in insurance.

Its a scam...sure as heck but what ya gonna do?

DDD

Our insurance jumped because of (l) not coming to a complete stop
at a stop sign and (2) not wearing a seatbelt. by the way, it is not
legal to give a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt "unless" they
pull you over for something else. Care to guess??? Yep "not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign". Geez.

In Florida there is no easy way out of anything! Bummer. DDD