Good News/Bad News

LauraH

Great. There's a franchise chain here that does $10 specials.

This is a girl that's not officially working right now because she just had a baby. She also lives up the street from me, so we're going to her house. Just the saving on gas to get to and from a salon makes it worth it.

BusynMember

Do you have any idea who he is with or how his friends can stay up all night? My daughter did it too and she worked. According to her, her friends were a group of drug users snd she was the only one with a job. She was tired but snorted ADHD drugs to stay awake for work.

Lovely. She doesn't have ADHD but easy to buy on the street. Adderrall was $10 pill back then she said.

Then she would come home and take downers to sleep. Thankfully not benzos.

Such a crazy life.

I hope your son rejects the life if he DOES start sleeping on the streets. It was such an unexpected gift when my daughter gave it up.

LauraH

Do you have any idea who he is with or how his friends can stay up all night?

Some of his friends I know, and some I have never met. Just based on past experience, if they go out to a club they stay till closing and then an after party. I'm sure there is some drug use but I can't vouch for that. I do know some of his more long-standing friends no longer use but they still drink. So it's anybody's guess what he's doing and who he's with on any given night.

That's something we don't really talk about much, because either to spare me or spare himself having to hear my thoughts, he gets defensive when I try to talk to him. As if I'm wrongfully accusing him of something. He's done that since he was a child. If I asked him if he snuck a cookie (when I can see smudges on his hands) he would act outraged that I would even suggest such a thing. So I broach the subject cautiously and if he's receptive we'll talk and if not I don't pursue it further.

LauraH

He's at the Good Will career center submitting online applications and he has an interview tomorrow with a temp agency for some kind of catering job. Not his "dream job" buut he needs something *right now* until he can find something better. I texted him to tell him about getting his hair cut Wednesday and that it was my way of saying how proud I am for the motivation he's shown today. He texted back "Oh, wow, thank you!" I wish I could do more, but maybe it's better that I can't. The more he does on his own without my help the more he'll (hopefully) appreciate his own worth and what he can accomplish.

BusynMember

We never talked about it. She wouldnt tell and she was too young to get into bars. She told me all AFTER she quit. Then it all spilled out of her as if she had to confess. I hadnt needed to know it all by then but I do.

I was shocked. I thought it was a lot better than it was :(

LauraH

We never talked about it. She wouldnt tell and she was too young to get into bars. She told me all AFTER she quit. Then it all spilled out of her as if she had to confess. I hadnt needed to know it all by then but I do.

I was shocked. I thought it was a lot better than it was :(

I'm not sure which is worse, living in blissful ignorance and then being shocked when it comes out, or knowing some of what's going on but not enough to get the full picture. I think sometimes I would rather know nothing, because when I know just a piece my imagination tends to run rampant and it's not usually good.

Tired out

Laura, I am wondering if the reason he is crashing on your couch is because he really doesn't have a place to sleep so he is staying awake until he can sleep at your house. And he is waiting until your hubby leaves to come sleep there.

LauraH

Laura, I am wondering if the reason he is crashing on your couch is because he really doesn't have a place to sleep so he is staying awake until he can sleep at your house. And he is waiting until your hubby leaves to come sleep there.
No, I know the girl he is staying with. I had wondered myself if maybe she had asked him to leave but haven't seen any evidence of that so far. As far as I am aware, his suitcase and most of is belongings are there. He did say he hadn't been there in 2 or 3 days because he has a "curfew" (basically he can't come in after midnight) so he's stayed with other friends on the nights he's out late partying with them. He's waiting now for a friend to come by and pick him up to take him to the friend's where he's (as far as I know) been staying.

If he is couch surfing I hope he will at some point level with me but unless I see indicators that he's either couch surfing or homeless I will have to assume he's still with is friend and her mom.

Tired out

. Well he is being proactive (we think) about finding a job. I hope he gets one quickly.
Hope fully he gets sick of not sleeping the same place every night and gets to his friends before midnight, that is a reasonable time for working people unless they work at a bar that is open late into the night.