good news!

Jena

I reached my fundraising goal for my ms walk in september! Kinda exciting we passed the 1,500 goal and are up to $1,700.

Thought that was kinda cool. Granted it's not alot yet it'll help some ppl I think, they say it goes towards paying for aides for ppl who can't afford them that need them in their home.

Anyone have a clue how to open your own foundation?? I googled it yet it said you need a ton of money and that can't be right......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yay! I'm glad you reached your goal. That's great.

No clue on the foundation thing.........but honestly the needing a lot of money sounds about right. We have Anna's Army here in town which is a foundation for Cystic Fibrosis started by the little girl's mom to actually at first help them pay for treatment and such........then when the little girl passed it sort of blew up and became the foundation as the town rallied around the parents who are doing this so their child's death isn't in vain. Fund raisers are the main source of income, although people also just plain donate. Any school even, especially grade school, always has Anna's Army volunteer's parked at the door. Even at Darrin's art show......Nana bought him dog tags from them and bracelets for Nichole and Aubrey. Anna's Army helps with kids with CF in the area, sort of a local thing, which is why everyone is so on board with it. It's nice that the money stays local and kids here with CF are being helped.

Marguerite

Well done, Jena!

As for starting your own foundation - it will be a bit different in the US but some principles are universal. Basically, if there are ten foundations each dealing with the same issue, then that is ten infrastructure costs, ten lots of registration costs etc. Or one foundation - and economies of scale can mean that the money is used more efficiently and a lot more can be done with more profile.

I used to do a lot of work for a charity. Another woman who used to be one of our workers left the group and started her own foundation. We found that fundraising was more difficult for us and also for her; the volunteer base halved; media had a more difficult time trying to work out who was who, and who was funding what. It was a real headache. Both foundations still exist, but hers is doing little more than providing information on the internet these days, it's faded back to nothing.

Teamwork is always a better way to go. And charities do not need to be in competition with one another. In fact, we used to have a combined charities event in Sydney, the networking experience was marvellous. Our little charity got to work as a team with the big players, we learned a lot and got to piggyback on some really useful publicity opportunities. The thing is - people will donate to charity anyway. Some will donate to cancer charities, some to MS, some to dyslexia - it all depends mostly on what moves people. The cancer dollar is not stealing from the MS dollar, different people fund these. So the cancer people can be supportive of the MS people and vice versa - it all goes to help people. Being able to lose that sense of competition between charities was marvellously freeing.

Marg

TerryJ2

VERY good!
I have no idea how to open your own foundation but I can say you are a better person than I am ... I have no desire to do such a thing, lol! I would start with-a Google search.

DDD

I don't know about foundations but I do know a bit about 501c3 corporations (non-profits). There is an initial filing fee and you have to have articles of incorporation prepared by an attorney. You have to have Board members who are listed with the State (including name, address etc and elected office). Once a year we have to file for renewal and update any changes in the Board of Directors. Whether it is a 501c3 or a foundation I know that you have to keep meticulous records of funds received and funds dispersed. It is a legal entity. You'll have to very careful to account for every penny received and show proof that what you've solicited is in a protect account to avoid mixing of funds. DDD

H

HaoZi

Congrats!
Don't know much about foundations except that there's a ton of paperwork and accountability involved.