Good Sunday Morning!

lizzie09

lizzie
Good Sunday Morning to you all!
Thank goodness the Christmas season is drawing to an end here in Ireland.
We celebrate really until the 12th day. 6th January, but a lot of decorations are down almost everywhere

School not back until Wednesday 7th.

Weather here is Ireland is cold and quite grey so I envy in the nicest possible way of course Marguerite and her beach activity.
The spring is on its way here so all is not lost!

Enjoy this day everyone..may you have a peaceful time with your families

Marguerite

G'day, all.

Lizzie, school doesn't go back for us until the end of January. I'm happy to share our summer with you. Today was warm again, tomorrow will be very hot and we plan to go to the beach.

Today was our monthly artists open studio around the village, but it was also the only day we could organise, for the special lunch mother in law wanted us to have together "on the mainland". So after they got home from church I got the nieces and sister in law into the car to quickly visit the artists I felt would most interest them. We had an hour to pack in what we can never fit into an entire day, so it was brief. But enjoyable. Then it was time to leave for lunch. mother in law, sister in law & nieces caught the boat while husband, difficult child 3 & I drove the long way round. Of course they got there first and were waiting on a park bench in the shade, chatting to passers-by (a common thing in Australia, especially when people are in holiday mode - we're a friendly lot). The traffic was bad everywhere, with the economic downturn, many people these holidays have become "stay-cationers". We finally dropped everyone else off at the restaurant on Cronulla Beach while husband & I parked the car. As husband & I walked back I took my sandals off because I always walk faster with bare feet. I commented to husband how we were in exactly the same area made infamous by riots three years ago. I should have taken note - there are still signs of unrest, such as the broken glass I stepped on leaving a sliver in the sole of my foot. I put my sandals back on and gingerly made my way, I stopped and took out my tools and tried to remove the splinter but it was too deep.

So we had lunch, a lovely meal, and I was careful to walk carefully for the rest of the day. We were joined by difficult child 1 & daughter in law who really enjoyed sharing the meal with us. We could see across Cronulla Beach and feel the ocean breeze taking the sting out of the hot day. Outside the sky was electric blue, intensely bright, with the dark bottle-green of the tuckeroo trees and palms visible over the balcony.

After lunch we strolled back outside as the wind whipped up. daughter in law had planned to go for a swim but the cooler wind changed her mind. The sea was whipped up into "white horses" and there was no longer a need to swim to cool off. It was almost 4 pm anyway, so we decided to go to the mall to see easy child 2/difficult child 2 at work, since she had been unable to have lunch with us. We waved goodbye to difficult child 1 & daughter in law (they're coming out to see us tomorrow afternoon to stay overnight) and headed to the mall.

On the way home we realised just how much we'd got done today. A relaxing day today despite getting so much done. Tonight we had no room for more food, so we snacked while we watched some short films and a short student film easy child 2/difficult child 2 was in a few years ago, that sister in law hadn't seen before. it was interesting; easy child 2/difficult child 2 had the lead rold in this short film and had hoped to use it as part of her showreel in order to get more professional work, but when the copy finally arrived it was so poorly made we felt it waas worthless. Now we've finally discovered that the copy was not made properly, but it seems our new computer can finally read the disk properly, so we'll be able to tidy up the file and burn some decent copies. At last! And it can be a showreel after all, along with some other film work she's done since.

Tomorrow I need to chauffeur the nieces to the boat, so they can spend the day in the heart of Sydney, just the two of them. sister in law & I meanwhile will relax on the beach, I'll hopefully get some cooking done and we'll make a dinner tomorrow night on leftovers. It's summer, so we'll eat a lot of salad and make sure we have plenty of iced water to keep cool.

We're hoping for an early night tonight. Or at least, not so late as we have had. husband is back to work tomorrow, he needs his sleep.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Lizzie-That's a whole lot of celebrating! We go back to school tomorrow. I still have to finish taking down decorations but I got a good start yesterday!

Marg-It sounds like your day was a fun one. Sorry about the glass sliver though-ouch! Enjoy your time at the beach tomorrow!

As for me, I think I'm going to head to church in a bit. We have a bit of freezing drizzle but they did cancel the weather advisory.

Lots to do today. I'm hoping to make it to the club but I also have to get the tree down and we have grocery shopping to do as well. I need to make lunches for tomorrow as well as write out thank you notes to my students. Tomorrow we head back to school/work. difficult child needs to get back. I could have used a few more days but I guess it's time to go back.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day!:peaceful:

Marguerite

husband got the glass silver out when we got home. He had to excavate it with a 26g hypodermic needle using a strong torch light. It was a tinly sliver, arrow-head shaped, eight of an inch long and pointing in at right angles, fully in and flush with the surface of the skin. I have very tough feet. Very glad to have it gone!

Sharon/WO, you sound like you have avery busy day of rest coming up!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Marg-That sounds painful! Glad it's out. It will be busy today but somehow I will squeeze in a nap!:)

Andy

:2cold::temps::frostbite::2cold:
GOOD COLD COLD MORNING
dangerous wind chills in affect all day for me
Lizzie - Good morning! I am going to grab onto your faith that Spring will indeed come this year - someday - somehow. School for us starts tomorrow.

Marg - What a nice day with the exception of the sliver. I hope it heals well and no infection starts. That has to be very painful.

Wiped Out - I hope you get all your plans done today. That vacation does go by way too fast!

As mentioned above, we have dangerous windchills in effect for today. Non-easy child diva is headed to the airport one hour away to pick up a friend. Atleast she will be traveling with another friend. I told her to give herself plenty of time and drive carefully. The roads will not be good.

husband is going to early church and I will go in for Sunday School. I may not stay for church - want to get the vehicle back home and in the garage. I had one teacher call to say she may not be able to get in and the back ups for both her and her husband's classes also will probably not be able to get it - so, I need to figure out what to do with the Sunday School kids again. Sounds like movie time again. I need to prepare a note to parents to make sure there is a teacher for their kid this winter before leaving them for Sunday School. If we had anymore snow, I would not have gone in and then everyone would be up in a roar not knowing what to do. I would hope parents would keep their kids home and out of this dangerous weather so hopefully not too many kids today (atleast I hope the littlest ones are kept home).

All I have to say this morning is, "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Everyone have a warm day and find a way to make your difficult child laugh!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Sunday Morning all.
Lizzie, it is rainy and dreary here today also, although no where near as cold. Yesterday was gloriously sunny but woke up to rain.

Marguerite, sounds like you are enjoying your holidays with family. Ouch about the glass sliver. How are the newlyweds doing? It's always so refreshing to see the beginnings of a married life together. Lots of promise and hope.

Wiped out, glad the advisory is off for your area.

We sent mom home yesterday on the plane. I still have to go up for 48hrs while she has her cardiac catherization. I'll drive up on Wed. but fly home on Monday.

difficult child got home from Philadelphia last night. He seemed to have a nice time.
We want him to work on keeping a bit more order and cleanliness to his room. Hope he tries but I'm doubtful.

Today it's a lot of up and down steps with boxes of decorations. Glad difficult child's young legs are around.

The weather is ugly enough that finishing up the house is a good idea.

Have a peaceful Sunday.

LittleDudesMom

:coldday: Good Sunday Morning!!!!

Lizzie, when I was growing up, we pretty much celebrated the holidays until the Christian Ephiphany (which is celebrated on the first Sunday after the New Year). Mom never took anything down until after Ephiphany (for those who don't know, it is remembrance of the maji's visit). I wish my kids didn't go back until Wed - a couple more days would be great!

Marg, sounds like a busy, lovely day (with the exception of the shard of glass in your foot). Enjoy the day on the beach with sister in law - sounds heavenly.

Sharon, I could use a few more days as well!!! But, difficult child has done nothing the last week but watch tv, play video games, eat and sleep! We went out on our bikes once! Time to add a little structure! Hope you get everything fit in today along with a nap!

Adrianne, you didn't give us the wind chill temps - although it sounds bitter. Are you the SS superintendant? Tough job.... A good veggie tales movie or such sounds in order today! Get back into the warmth quickly.

Fran, good to hear that difficult child had a good time and handled himself up and down the highway. A dreary day is a good one for staying in and getting the house in order. I stopped keeping my decorations in the attic or the basement. It was difficult to handle getting the things out when I was alone. I found a way to keep the decorations put away and hidden on the first floor and the tree (in a big red rolling bag that can easily be mistaken for a three-person body bag) in the garage. That way the only steps I have are the three back steps with the tree! How is Honey Sue doing? Didn't she have a treatment round a few days ago?

On the schedule today is making sure the kids are ready for back to school. difficult child is to check his two fivestars (one for even day, one for odd - helps keep him organized) and take out what is no longer needed, reup on line paper, make sure he has pencils, pens, erasers, etc.

easy child has to make a run to the drug store to get some toiletry supplies. She begins her 6am work out classes this week and I recommended she keep a gym bag packed with duplicates of stuff like lotion, deod, shampoo, toothbrush, etc. She will be showering and getting ready for school at the gym 2-3 days a week. She also has to get a lock since she usally uses mine but that's not going to work with her new schedule. She has already got everything ready for school tomorrow.

Me, I'm in supervising mode to make sure everyone gets their stuff done. We watched a fabulous movie yesterday - Eagle Eye. It was great - but then we love the action movies here. I don't believe it did well in the theatre but it was an exciting run! We have plans for use my new air popper and watch another movie early this afternoon. easy child has to work from 4-6 so we are watching before she goes.

I hope your day is relaxing but productive.

Sharon

Andy

-18 F right now with -38 F wind chill

I always go with what it "feels like". I really don't care what the REAL temperature is - if the wind chill is - 38 degree F than it FEELS like -38 degrees.

Suppose to warm up to - 4 degrees F but once you get to below zero, cold is cold. Wind chill just makes it worse because the cold air is being pushed into you by the wind.

Yep, I am Sunday School Superintendent. I have been so for about 10 years and this is my last. I have become so discouraged with people's lack of interest in working with the kids. We have to have programs but no one wants to help. Some Board of Ed members are furious because in light of NO ONE wanting to help with Vacation Bible School with excuse they can't take time to do it (we do at night AFTER work hours), over 17 people are signing up to go on a missionary VBS trip! Where are these people for our own kids? UGH

Now I am getting complaints because the Sunday School program was canceled due to weather (snowstorms for two weeks - no time to practice). They want it rescheduled but with snowstorms every other day, we can't get practice times in. These people do not want to see kids except for sitting up pretty for children's sermons on Sunday mornings and the Christmas program. How dare I deprive them of the annual program! I am preparing a "come to Jesus" speech for the church annual meeting the end of January in the event the subject comes up. Some want to use this as an excuse to close our day school to get a full time Director or Christian Education! Very selfish - you don't ditch an important program to start another one.

Our intern DCE got in trouble because one of the parents took their child home instead of staying for church one day! WHAT? - DCE's have no say over what parents want to do. We will not get one if that is how they are treated.

I will teach 4th and 5th graders next year (at least 5th graders) and help the new superintendent who has been my helper for a few years.