Good thoughts needed for Tot-Monster B

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by trinityroyal, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    My little Tot-Monster B is teething like billy-o, and in the process gnawed right through his thumb and caused a very bad infection. He ran a high fever, we took him to the Emergency Room 2 days ago, where they gave him antibiotics.

    Although they put bandages and a guard on his thumb, and we tried our best to keep his thumb out of his mouth, he managed to yank all the coverings off and continued chewing. I think I may have a budding difficult child-let on my hands, but that's another story for another time.

    Anyway, today he's back in the Emergency Room with husband. The infection is now so deep that they have to cut his little thumb open and clean it out. I'm waiting for a work meeting to finish, and then I'm heading over there too.

    Please spare a good thought or two for my little Tot-Monster and his sore sore thumb. That the doctors get all the infection out, and that my determined little boy will NOT chew through his stitches and make it even worse. (I might have to tie his little hand behind his back...I'll do what I have to)

  2. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Do they make restraints that small? Poor tot monster. Poor Trinity and husband too. I'll send as many good thoughts as I can muster!!! Lots of hugs, too. And some of that stuff my mom used to paint on my thumbs to keep me from sucking them.
  3. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Poor thing. Maybe you can get some extra-long sleeved shirts and tie the end of the sleeve in a knot so he doesn't pull the bandages off or put his arm under his shirt instead of putting it through the sleeve. Sending hugs.
  4. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Oh geez... how awful!

    Loth's idea is very good. But if he's THAT determined, you may need to fashion a restraint for his arm... I'm thinking some kind of velcro/hook-and-eye strap to wrap around his wrist and then around his waist?

    And definitely look into offering him something alternate to chew on so he doesn't start on his other hand. Poor little guy :(
  5. totoro

    totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

    I'm thinking a hockey mask and alternate between a frozen puck...
    What about a velcro back brace for short periods to bind his arm at his side? The soft ones you can get at the pharmacy that are neoprene?
    I am sure you are doing this but frozen things... are they eating mushy things? Frozen fruit... bananas. Frozen wash cloth. We used these for K she was a gnawer... You can get pretty good rubber tools on K still chews on them and you can't bite through them.

    Poor little Monster
  6. flutterby

    flutterby Fly away!

    Poor guy. Sending healing thoughts.
  7. busywend

    busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Sending good infection-free thoughts to little tot-monster B. What a stinker he is!!!

    That is some teething going on. He needs some relief there, too.
  8. Star*

    Star* call 911

    We did the frozen wash cloths with Dude, and (do not laugh) all the puppies too - dunk them in water, roll them up, twist them into a circle, stick them in the freezer. Voila` instant teether. The terry cloth allows soothing and cutting for the gums and the ice numbs it.

    Are we talking about B? Of B and P? here? OMG.....he has teeth? already? (good grief)
  9. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    Poor little guy! Hope the infection clears up quickly.
  10. nvts

    nvts Active Member

    How do they think of such bizaar things to do to keep us jumping? Poor little guy - maybe they can bind his arm to his side until the thumb has time to heal?

    I'm saying major prayers for the little guy!

  11. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Poor sweetie! I would bind his arm with an ace bandage or long sleeved shirt if you have to. If he can eat bananas or applesauce, they make this great thing that looks like netting with what looks like a pacifier on the other. You stick stuff in the netting part and freeze it and the baby can chew it to their hearts content without choking while it thaws out.
  12. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Awwww. Poor little guy. It happened to my baby sis when she was a baby. It was her thumb.
    I am pretty sure you can not restrain his arms. Too bad they don't have those big satellite collars we use with our dogs for babies. We used to have infant t shirts with long sleeves that had a cuff that could be pulled over their hands to prevent scratching.
    I swear popsicles are the cure all for teething, fever, upset stomachs. LOL.
    Hugs to you. They do heal quickly though
  13. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Thanks everyone. We have tried so many things...teething rings, frozen wash cloths, frozen fruit, rusk buscuits. There is a collection of discarded teething objects on the floor nexc to his crib, and another one by his high chair.

    Fran, I am going to give popsicles a go. That might just be the magic item that does the trick. I was also thinking about those plastic collars for dogs.
    Janet, I think I will try out the ace bandage. The little escape artist has figured out the sleeve cuffs, so that might be the answer.

    The plastic surgeon looked at him today and decided to try treating him with the antibiotics they give for a human bite. If the infection doesn't start to clear in a day or two, then it's back to the Emerg for surgery. I'm really hoping the new medications work, but as you say, they heal quickly. And thankfully Tot-Monster P is being a little angel through all of this. It's as if she knows her brother is in pain and she's trying to help him. She puts her little hand on his arm and looks at him with what I swear is concern.

    Must go check the stock of pain medications for the night shift. Just wanted to pop in with an update, and with thanks for the good thoughts.

  14. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Trinity....I just got to thinking about this.

    Im sure his little hand is bandaged up. Could you stick it in say a ziplock baggie and then bandage it again with more gauze and that gauze that sticks to itself. Then soak that bandage in some of that anti- thumbsucking stuff. Maybe it would taste so bad he would leave it alone.
  15. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    Years back, when babies had eczema, they had a sort of wire screen cage they would put over the hands along with a gauze wrapping underneath. It prevented the kids from scratching and wasn't dangerous. It these things are still available it might be something to look into.
  16. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    Trinity, I just saw this. Poor little stinker. To this day (and he's 65!) my brother chews on one of his thumbs. I hope Tot-Monster B learns to leave his alone sooner than my bro!

  17. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not


    I don't have any ideas or advice...just wanted to offer some prayers and support. Hope his little thumb gets better soon!

  18. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Adding in my prayers and support.
  19. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

  20. ML

    ML Guest

    Adding my prayers and hopes that the antib's do the trick and our baby doesn't need surgery. Bless his heart. xo