Good travel juju for easy child, please!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Today my easy child leaves for Africa. She is going to Ghana for 5 weeks. I took today off work to spend some time with her and it's all I can think about! She's so methodical in her packing and planning. We all downloaded Skype and another international texting app, she made me copies of everything from her banking to her travel, visa, passport, addresses, etc. So efficient and calm. Yesterday I overheard her tell her boyfriend that she's kind of freaking out a little...she's so afraid she will forget a detail.

Anyway, if you would, please send out a thought, prayer or positive juju for safe travel, experience and return home! This promises to be a life changing time in her life and I'm so glad she's doing it. By the time I was her age I had already given birth to her and as you know, motherhood has a way of putting some dreams on hold (not that I ever dreamed of going to Africa). I guess now that it's really happening, I'm a bit nervous, but mostly excited for her. I'm in awe of her drive and enthusiasm to help the children at the orphanage and make a difference in their lives.

I know you lovelies in the board will come through, Thanks!

Lothlorien

What an awesome experience for her! Sending good juju for her and for you. I know you are going to worry about her for the next 5 weeks!

T

TeDo

Praying, pretzeling, and rattling that her excursion is nothing but purely wonderful ...... AND ....... that your mommy heart survives the absence.

DammitJanet

I will keep all the juju going but what an awesome thing to do! I am sure she is going to have some wonderful memories to tell you all when she gets back. What great stories to tell her kids one day!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't know where she's going - English is their main language ------but this may impress her - (If you know where she's going - there's like 79 languages over there) - this I believe is the 2nd most used one - and maybe you cant surprise her! It's Twi!

http://www.abibitumikasa.com/twi.pdf

Jo,

What a wonderful, caring daughter you raised!! I know you're very proud of her, so is this board "auntie", lol... I read this yesterday and even though I didn't have time to respond, have been sending lots of good travel juju her way, along with many prayers for a safe trip and return home.

I can't begin to imagine how you're feeling right now... My "baby", easy child/difficult child 3, is leaving in less then 3 weeks to spend the summer with difficult child 1, before we pick her up, take her to college... I know, it's no where near the same sort of thing, but, just thinking about her being so far away, brings tears to my eyes - I miss her already!! OK, this isn't my thread, don't want to hog it, lol... Just want you to know I think you're a very special person and I'm sure that your easy child's desire to help those less fortunate then herself has lots to do with how you raised her. Hope this makes sense - I'm not the best with words this morning! SFR

Jody

Oh Jo, I will be praying for your easy child, and also for you. This will be an incredible time for your daughter but a hard time for you. My daughter is leaving for Israel in a couple of weeks, and I am scared to death. My daughter isn't as detail orientated and I am having to beg for the details. She's 19, and I hope she gets that together soon. I hope to see pictures posted if you can share. I would love to see Africa, and it's doubtful that I ever will.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Jody, that's so funny. My easy child made me a folder with copies of everything...EVERYTHING! Flight info, credit card, bank card, vaccines, everything. I'm appreciative, but wow.

I'll pray your sweetie is okay as well, thank you. I will add photos to my photo bucket when they start to roll in.

SFR, hugs. I am not out of mind but I will be if if don't get the promised message from her telling me she's landed safely and is okay.

LittleDudesMom

Jo,
how wonderful that easy child is able to follow her dreams! Many folks dream of doing the kind of thing she is but never get around to it - they get bogged down in responsibilities, can't afford the trip or the time off, etc. I think she is truly blessed to be able to give to others in a way that will be meaningful to her as well.

Prayers and positive thoughts for her safe and productive journey.

Sharon

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Received a text last night around 9PM our time, so it was around 2AM there I think. I'm not sure, but I was sure glad to get that text saying they arrived at their hotel in Wegbe (if you can call it a hotel, more like a compound looking campsite!).

Nancy

I just saw this and am glad she arrived safely. What a wonderful experience for her. What kind of work will she be doing there? I know some people who have gone there on mission trips and loved every minute of the experience. You must be very proud of her.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child is doing well in Ghana. It took about a week for them to settle into the place they're staying but they began teaching the first day after they arrived, it was a bit of a surprise for them.

I'll post the link to her blog but please don't comment on it there or post on facebook...she wants it to be her private journal, however she shared it with family and some close friends only. But I'll post the link because it's so very cool to read about her experiences! Here it is: http://fiveweeksinghana.blogspot.com/

I miss her but I'm glad she's doing this! Oh, and if you read the blog, please excuse her crappy grammar and spelling-never was good in that department, lol.

Jody

Oh Jo,

That is wonderful. I loved her writing. My daughter is teling me that she is not going to take her computer. I haven't been able to convince her either. What an experience for your daughter. I now the scene withthe machete's made your heart stop!!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I now the scene withthe machete's made your heart stop!!!!

It did!!! I told easy child that I think her blogging is great because when she returns she can print it out as a sort of memoir of her experience. She is very happy that we are reading it with such excitement, I happen to really enjoy it (despite all the grammatical errors-my personal pet peeve). I asked her if she could edit it and she said, "Really, mom?" lol.

Try to convince your daughter to take her computer with her so she too can keep a log of her daily or at least weekly happenings. She will be happy she did.

Thanks for checking out her blog!