Good Tuesday Morning

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning Friends,

It's very chilly here this morning. I'm under my electric blanket right now and not wanting to get up. It is to be a rainy, blustery day with a high of only 48 degrees!

Work today and then a meeting about difficult child with loads of people-hoping it will be a productive one.

As for the health club-we'll have to see. Hopefully I will find the motivation to go back out in this weather if not maybe I can workout with my Wii-Fit.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day:peaceful:

Rabbit

Good Morning Friends! All I can say is It's hard to watch your difficult child make a bad choice!
Sharon- Do u like the Wii-Fit? Hope u have a Great meeting and a Great day!
Sending Hugs to all Rabbit

LittleDudesMom

Good Morning! :D

Sharon, we are much cooler than usual as well but still our high is twenty degrees above yours! Hope you find the time and strength to do what YOU want.

Rabbit, I agree, it's tough to watch your kids make bad choices, difficult child or easy child. Hope your day is a good one.

Our weather is crazy. It's in the 40's now and will go to the 60's. Tomorrow is mid 80's and humid - Thur is cool and cloudy - Friday 90 degrees! :surprise:

I'll be at the office today - our secretary is out of town so I might stay all day and help out bonehead...

Have a great Tuesday all!

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good morning all.
with-O brrrrrrrrrr. Good luck with the meeting. I know you are hoping for the best.
Rabbitt- hope the bad choices teach difficult child some lessons.
LDM, you are kind to help bonehead out. Enjoy your day. If it's below 90 on Sat. we will be on Battlefield Rd.
We are having cool weather yesterday and today with a big jump up tomorrow. I really miss not having a proper spring. The last few days have been lovely.

We met with the evaluator about difficult child's transition evaluation. It was good. Nothing much new. Expectation is that difficult child is doing great but is capable of more independence. Suggested using technology to cover some of his "blind" spots. Felt further tutoring in money skills/math is probably not going to produce results. If with the calculator he came up with the cost of a movie and fast food burger was 71.00 -this can be taught but the fact that difficult child thought that sounded like a reasonable amount goes back to the fact he is not grasping quantity. 1.00 and 100.00 have equal value. Sigh.
He did suggest difficult child will practice more independent living skills if living on his own with supports. We will see. Thought difficult child was too dependent on mom to the point that he wasn't strengthening his living skills. You think?!? All in all it was pretty much what we expected with some clearer suggestions of what difficult child can do to get over the next hurdle.

Hope your Tuesday goes well.

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

Sharon/WO, I hope your meeting today is productive. sorry it's so cold for you.

Rabbit, enjoy your Tuesday. You seem bouncy this morning.

Sharon/LDM, sounds like your weather is crazy too.

Fran, here's hoping difficult child can continue to improve his independence skills. It really burns me up when therapists blame our kids' lack of capability on "being too dependent on the mother" as if WE have made our kids incapable; the kids depend on us BECAUSE they lack capability! As I keep saying - it's not always about blame, or cause and effect. Sometimes we just need to look at a situation and say, "it is. Now how can we remedy it?"

We've had a glorious, warm day today. It was 26 C in Sydney (79 F) which for almost winter is unheard of. I was wearing the same loose cotton sleeveless top I was wearing back in February, plus having to drive with the windows down when the day got warmer. Even into the evening, it's been warm. I didn't put my light cardigan on until well after sunset.

Today began early - my choir was performing at the local old folks respite centre. There were only four of us to perform, which limits us a fair bit. But it all went down well. The choir is definitely a work in progress!

We'd scheduled the performance so I could get away for a later appointment, but in fact we finished a lot earlier than I needed, so on the way back home I dropped in on my best friend for an hour or so. Then home to get difficult child 3 ready to leave for his therapist appointment in the city.

We left early, went in via husband's work (he had some gear to send home in our car) and got to the therapist right on time. It was a great session - we raised the subject of displacement activity, anxiety and distraction. It's bugging difficult child 3 that he gets so easily distracted, and he anted strategies to help him get back on task more readily.

The sky was full of smoke - we could smell it, and the smell of bushfire always concerns us until we know where it's from. Turned out there was a backburn in the Blue Mountains, and the smoke all blew into Sydney. It got really bad, people were warned to stay indoors, it showed up on the radar. The sky was orange, the sunset glorious.

difficult child 3 & I had an interesting talk on the way in to the city - he has been 'conversing' online with people and noted that often the insult expressed is "you're gay." He said his response to this is, "No I'm not gay. In fact, I'm homophobic."
We talked about this and he admitted, "I feel uncomfortable if I'm in a room with gay people."
I asked, "How do you know if the people in the room are gay or not? Someone can be flamboyant but straight. Or gay, but seemingly conventional."
He finally said, "I think I just feel uncomfortable knowing I'm being ogled."
So I told him that women ogle him anyway; the gender of the person ogling is immaterial. And in fact, homosexuals are LESS likely to ogle or act on it, because they know that an overt pass has a higher likelihood of getting their teeth kicked in for them.
The final convincing came when husband's offsider answered the door to let difficult child 3 in. difficult child 3 chatted to him while he waited for his dad, then we left. As we drove off I said, "Did you feel uncomfortable talking to Jack? No? Even though he is gay?"

Long silence. Then difficult child 3 grinned. "Point taken," he said.

After the therapist we headed back to our district, to the mall. difficult child 3 went in by himself to buy easy child's birthday present, while I catnapped in the car. Then we headed off to drama class. I got a bit more shopping done, we met up with husband, we had dinner (our Tuesday night ritual, we're enjoying our dinner for two while difficult child 3 enjoys his burger sitting in the car). As we came outside, the forecast cool change began moving through. Tomorrow is forecast to be cooler. No smell of smoke any more!

So we've had a busy day but accomplished a lot. Tomorrow we stay home and hopefully get some work done. I have phone calls to make, sewing to do and writing to catch up on.

Enjoy your Tuesday, everyone.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
WO/Sharon, Your post about the blanket made me want to turn around and go get under mine again! Chilly here too!

Rabbit, Bite your tongue and go have a great day!

LDM/Sharon, I cannot wait until we start to see some of that hot summer weather here! Have a nice day at the office (that's where I am all day everyday!).

Fran, It's such a struggle for we parents to watch our kiddos struggle with their own independence. I am hoping that your difficult child (and mine) get to where they need to go soon (hugs).

Marg, Enjoy your day catching up. Loved the story about difficult child.

Well, after much freaking out over a grade for a paper I handed in last week, I received it back last night with a nice big 100% on it and some very nice comments from my professor. Excellent! I'm high right now with the joy of it!

Have a wonderful day everyone~

Fran

Former desparate mom
Marguerite, I agree with you. difficult child is dependent on me because he needs that filter to process things in the world that he doesn't quite get.
Certainly not because I want him to need me.
At this point, I don't give a rat's behind what they think of me as long as they come up with services that are relevant, doable and helpful.
Unfortunately there is no funding for any of the suggestions. So unless I do it on my own, they are just words. At least it gave us
some simple directions.