good vibes, prayers, rattle beads, whatever

crazymama30

your thing is I need your positve thoughts. I am a chaperone on difficult child's field trip tommorrow. The thought makes my blood run cold, as he is usually on his worst behavior for me. I have no idea why I volumteered, well, maybe. I was asked. I said yes.

I have not volunteered on one of his field trips since first grade. He is in fourth now. Maybe I went on one in second grade. I should have my head examined.

At least he seems to be doing better lately . Today was better than yesterday, yesterday was better than the day before. It is amazing what the right dose (or with stims the smallest dose) does for him..

KTMom91

Wishing you a wonderful trip, with wonderful results...the last field trip I went on with Miss KT was in kindergarten. To the zoo.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Rattling beads for a good trip. When I chaperoned my difficult child was never put in my group. Given that, I was close at hand for any emergency which helped kt or wm to have successful field trips.

crazymama30

We are going downtown. I did this trip with easy child when she was in 4th grade. If I remember right, we go to the library, go to the bank and they let us in a safe/vault thing, we eat pizza (this is new) and then they go to the candy store where they can spend $5 if they brought it from home. I told easy child I would buy her one of those huge jawbreakers, the ones the size of a baseball.

TL, the last field trip I did with difficult child I did not take his group, and it was hard to watch the other parent try to deal with him. I actually had requested that from this teacher, but she said she could not due to "management reasons". Ya, that sounds like a politician response. An answer but no answer. At this point I have decided what will be will be, I will have a good attitude about it and hopefully difficult child will to. I did tell him if he behaves he gets 5 chips. We will see.

meowbunny

Sometimes our kids surprise us. Here's hoping he behaves for you (beats being embarassed by his peers sometimes). No matter what, try to have fun. As long as he isn't doing something dangerous and is behaving at least somewhat like the boys in his group, let him have fun.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sending you TONS of good vibes :D We are in the same boat as I may be accompanying difficult child 2 on his class trip tomorrow. He's been home all week due to medication issues.

Andy

For the last 15 years, I have chaperoned almost every field trip of my kids (PK - 6th). This year was the first year that due to difficult child's behavior, it was usually best if I did not go with. He did much better without me there and it made my heart break - I love chaperoning field trips. Next year we go to the State Capital and I pray that I get to go with.

I did tell him one day this early Spring that because of his behavior, I would not be surprised if the school asked me to stay away during the school hours. For some reason, he thought I would "save him" from any teacher discipline. Which is so strange because I have never "save him", I have always agreed with what the teachers were trying to do. I have keys to the back doors of the school (is also our church) and would spend many afternoons at the school preparing for Sunday
School. So, on my own, I stayed away and found other times to do my church work.

This last 12 hr all school trip the teacher was a little nervous about not having me with (had to go to easy child's graduation ceremony) since he was so nasty earlier in the week but after the psychiatrist appointment the night before, I felt very much better about letting him go and it turned out to be a good day.

Steely

Sending many hugs.

I still get a PTSD flashback with even the mention of field trips, let alone elementary school. Sigh. I understand.

One thing I found effective on one of the field trips I hosted, was to adopt a lot of the other kids, and shower attention on them. I pretended as if difficult child was barely mine. It was interesting the unusual attention this generated from difficult child. It seemed to really throw his usual, icky, antics off - and see me in another light. (It had the double benefit of me soaking up love from the other kiddos in his class - some of which did not have stable parental influences.)

Good luck.

LittleDudesMom

Hope you have a good field trip tomorrow and your fears are unfounded. If nothing else, he'll be quiet on the return trip working on that jawbreaker!

Sharon

crazymama30

difficult child did great. He had a few moments where he got to anxious or wound up, but he was not over defiant or anything like that. We had a good time, and I am glad I was in his group. It was nice to get to enjoy him. I don't get to do that very often. The weather even cooperated, and it did not rain untill 5 minutes before we left.

Thank you for your positivie vibes, something sure helped.

meowbunny

I'm so glad! Those field trips where our kids shine (at least by our standards) are one of those things you'll treasure.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Honey - you need whatever is beyond prayer -

DIVINE INTERVENTION ON A BUS and good earplugs.

TALK ABOUT A WARRRIOR MOM!

Eric the red was never such a brave viking as this!

F

flutterbee

I'm glad it went well.

I was never able to chaperone a field trip. I did make it to a picnic Wynter had in kindergarten and I had so much fun with all the kids.