Goofing off and BROKE the laptop screen!

susiestar

Roll With It
husband is livid, I am not happy, but not furious. Jessie had the computer open and sitting on a chair. She picked up Captain Morgan (who weighs 15 lbs) and was carrying him. He wiggled out of her arms and landed on the laptop screen. Dang it, the screen BROKE!

Now I have to find a new screen and get instructions to replace it. I am wondering if my computer guy will have any leads for me tomorrow. He usually doesn't work on laptops though.

anyone have any idea where I can get a new screen for the laptop? I ahve already emailed Gateway, but I know that will be quite expensive as it is out of warranty.

I guess the kids are on the slow computer for a while. I have spoken with them (esp Jess) at least 10 times this week alone about goofing off around the laptop. They will be out of luck for a while. Sigh.

Gpa DOES have a newly fixed older computer for them, newer than the slow one we have, and than the one that is just for thank you that doesn't work and doesn't turn off unless you unplug it. (My dad is a computer-holic and has WAY too many computers in the house - 3 that are JUST for his use alone!!)

Maybe we can find a monitor with a USB plug to attach to the laptop.

Sigh.

susie

KTMom91

Hubby says you might try an independent computer repair shop, that this is a better option than the big box guys.

witzend

husband says you can do it, but it often costs as much as a new computer. He says look for a used computer on E-bay or Craigslist and swap out the screen. You could try to use a registered dealer, but with an older model the screen becomes less marketable and more expensive.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I broke my screen myself. Ugh! I picked it up by the screen and ruined it. It's a mac and cost me 700.00 to replace the screen. It was only 18 mo. old. I'm usually careful but I wasn't thinking.

susiestar

Roll With It
The computer guy I am going to call is an independent. I went to high school with his wife and we do any "in person" computer buying and just about all repairs through him. He is very good. But I can't call him until tomorrow. I think I can get a screen on ebay. I have to get the old screen off tomorrow and see exactly what model it is.

Sigh. I just wish they were more careful. Jess will pay me back in work for the new screen. She actually VOLUNTEERED to do that!! I think that makes her pretty much easy child, esp since she didn't deny doing it or try to blame thank you or the cat. She stepped up and took responsibility. It is good to remind me that while the goofing off was not good, she is still very easy child in the way she handled it.

Fran

Former desparate mom
You are right Susie. Stuff happens. No one has perfection all wrapped up.
Kids are supposed to make mistakes.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ebay tends to be where husband gets lots of his computer stuff when he fixes for people. A lot of times from Hong Kong and it tends to be really inexpensive just takes time to get it as it doesn't ship fast. Good luck.

beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Put WANTED on your local craigslist and google your model on other Craigslists and Ebay -

For the now? I had to BUY laptops for all the salesmen - (whine whine) and none of them ever have taken them home - GRRRRRR.....then they came and said they needed a LARGER than 20" screen GRRRRRR again - so we bought a flat screen for each of them and hooked their lap top up and now they run 2 screens - if you didn't need it in the first place (sigh)

Also will look for a coupon for Fiesta Cat for weight loss food. WOW really? 15 lbs cat? OMG......WHAT is he eating now? WOW.......lol.