Got blown off by the Neuropsychologist's office!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by IT1967, May 31, 2013.

  1. IT1967

    IT1967 Member

    My difficult child 2 is NOT in a good place right now. His medications aren't helping at all, so we're trying to get a 2nd opinion with-another psychiatrist about what our alternatives might be. Also, our therapist gave us the name and number of a neuropsychologist. I called them and the intake person would NOT even do an intake for me!! She told me she needed to know exactly what the testing is for. I have NO idea! I told her the therapist referred me to them (they're in the same hospital system) and after we go through the intake form, maybe she'd have an idea of the testing needed or maybe they could contact our counsellor for that information. Nope. I told her my son's diagnosis's, and she told me they don't test for emotional problems. She told me they test for problems in school with-learning and such. I told her my son is gifted so he has no problems with-learning that I know of, but that maybe there was something else going on. And back and forth and back and forth we went. She refused to even start the process for me. I'm furious! She told me to call my counsellor back and ask her WHAT she's recommending the testing for and then call them back. Is this the way it should be? I'm feeling very disheartened at the moment. It'll be months before we get in for the 2nd opinion with-the psychiatrist and I can't even get the ball rolling on the neuropsychologist testing. Does neuropsychologist testing not apply to kids with-ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and ODD? I thought that's what many of you here deal with and have had neuropsychologist testing done for these issues. Because my child is smart, does that mean he doesn't qualify for this kind of testing?
  2. Bunny

    Bunny Active Member

    They should test him for problems whether he's having problems in school or not! I would call the therapist back either ask her exactly what the referral is for, or tell them that they say he does not qualify for testing and ask to be referred to someone else.
  3. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Not all comprehensive evaluators are at the same level of professionalism and skills... neuropsychologist or not.
    Any chance of being around a childrens' or teaching hospital? those often have child behavioral/developmental evaluation teams. And np. You do NOT know, going in, what the dxes are that you are looking for. If it was that simple, you wouldn't need a comprehensive evaluation. :D

    Have you started a parent report yet? If not, it might be a good idea. It provides a well-documented history of "issues and challenges" that can be shared with various service providers, including a (good) comprehensive evaluator.
  4. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    That is terrible. I would not even think twice an d call another one. There is no excuse for treating you that way.
  5. Dixies_fire

    Dixies_fire Member

    Same issue over here homie! You have my sympathy!
  6. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    been there done that. Either way, call the therapist and report what happened. The therapist will not refer to them any more.
  7. Malika

    Malika Well-Known Member

    Hi there. I think you probably need to play the game a bit... aka lie. You need to say that you want to test for learning difficulties. Bright or gifted kids can have learning difficulties. And, as far as I understand it, neuropsychologists absolutely deal with ADHD and to some degree with emotional troubles (by testing for impulse control, etc). I think you need to sound as if you know what you're asking for and they'll follow suit (hopefully). It sounds a real drag having to deal with them - good luck.