smallworld

Jen, if Seroquel worked before and the side effects were weight gain and a rash (which could have been from something else), you could go back to Seroquel. It treats anxiety and depression as well as mania associated with BiPolar (BP).

Jena

hi,

i was thinking the same exact thing actually this morning. thanks. i don't know why the first 4 to 5 days on seroquel was rough, very rough on her and i kept her home from school. yet once it got into her system she was sleeping, eating alot, doing homework, smiling, enjoying life just not at the pitch she is at now. she truly enjoyed her summer that summer. i hate that it deadens some of her funny and animated ways she's soooo beautiful, yet i was thankful that she wasn't sad, or angry or up and not able to sleep. she was a little duller, yet like hte dr. said to me "Jen i dont' care how she presents to her teachers, i care how she feels on the inside, that's waht it's all about, making her comfortable to experience life".

ok shes still out. it's almost 12. i think i'm keeping her home today my little pumpkin. sound asleep with kitten in her arms. wow so cute.

klmno

When a child is manic -- if that's what's going on here -- it is not uncommon at all to start with an antipsychotic to calm the mania down quickly. As we all know, antipsychotics work much faster than the 6 to 8 weeks it can take for a mood stabilizer to kick in. After the antipsychotic is in place, a MS is introduced for long-term treatment.

Actually, I did not know that, because difficult child was started on a MS first. But that may be because of how his evaluation of BiPolar (BP) transpired and psychiatrist thinking difficult child wasn't in full-blown mania when he started medications for BiPolar (BP). When he was manic this past spring, I can't remember if lithobid was raised first or if AP was added first. I'm not saying difficult child's psychiatrist always does things the typical way though- I actually learn more about "the typical way" here then from psychiatrist. LOL!

BusynMember

See if BiPolar (BP) medications work. We started to get suspicious because the medications were almost worse than the symptoms and son was very cognitively dulled. He was almost zombie-like, not himself at all. Those executive function issues are there with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) too.
Sounds like you do have a history of stuff on both sides of the family. Anxiety is rarely a *main* diagnosis though. I hope you find your answer. Do question, if you feel the need. You may even want another neuropsychologist report. As the k ids get older, more stuff shows and it is easier to get a good diagnosis. Good luck!

Jena

hi,

i can't afford another neuropsychologist report lol...first one was costly and I don't want to put her thru anymore rigorous testing plus i was told it was very thorough. i spoke with-dr. at length after he spoke to my ex who threatened his practice and him in more ways than one....he is so so horrible he has been harrassing me for two days now relentlessly. so we spoke at length and he basically said your either going to trust me or not trust me. i had to calm him after speaking with-my ex who got him very upset and defensive. rightfully so. so i said i'm going to have questions, and i need you to understand that and answer them.

he said years ago alot of people were prescribed this and over prescribed this drug, did not have bi polar and were like zombie's. i am starting at lowest dosage, you have tried 3 other antipyschotics, let's try this one. so i dropped it off and i am picking it up tomorrow....

keeping my fingers crossed.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you have tried the other antipsychotics, maybe low doses of this are worth trying. I am sorry your ex is being so difficult. The doctor seems to know quite a lot about the medication, and sometimes you have to take the leap and try something.

I know that I usually have to start with half of what the doctor says. I cut the pills or use half the liquid. Maybe that is an option, maybe not.

Whatever happens, I hope you find help for Rin.