Got results of sleep study

StressedM0mma

And, they said that while she does have excessive daytime sleepiness it is not narcolepsy, and that everything else was within normal ranges. She has mild to moderate snoring, and a little longer than normal sleep latency, there is nothing to medicate. Sigh. While I am happy that she is OK, I was really really hoping that the tiredness was something biological. But, it is not. They think it is most likely psychiatric at this point. So, now we are bounce back to the psychiatrist to see what she wants to do. difficult child's pediatrician. did make sure that psychiatrist also got the results.
pediatrician. is as frustrated as we are about it. He said that he isn't comfortable giving her something to stimulant her in the morning because of the medications she is on. He was more than willing to help out with any 504/homebound/online paperwork we need.
We see the psychiatrist again on the 9th, so we will see what her thoughts are. I am giving difficult child her abilify around 7 or 8. Do you think that could be making her still sleepy? She was like this before so I don't think that is it, but just trying to find something to help. She got 10 hours of good sleep last night, and it was still a fight to get her up for school, even with her delayed start.
Going to go walk with a friend for awhile and try to clear my head. Then I have a therapist appointment. this afternoon. Maybe btwn the 2 I can find some answers.

T

TeDo

I was really hoping it was medical also. What does "longer than normal sleep latency" mean?

InsaneCdn

This needs to go back to the therapist/psychiatrist level... obviously, it is NOT a medical problem. Therefore... that much sleep is a sign of how serious her depression is.

StressedM0mma

Thanks everyone. I plan on bringing it up and really forcing the issue. And, I have no idea what sleep latency is. Yet another thing I need to look up. I am trying to remind myself that this too will pass. I hope anyway.

Mattsmom277

Sleep latency refers to the length of time it takes a person to fall into sleep (the light early/first stage of REM sleep).

I hope something can help her fatigue. I have neuorological based fatigue issues off and on (stems from MS). At times it is overwhelming and honestly disabling. I really will be hoping something can help your daughter feel more vibrant and alert.

LucyB

My son went through this same test last fall, but only fell asleep towards the end of one nap, so received no diagnosis. From what I was told, if you fall asleep easily during the naps but don't have narcolepsy, they diagnose you with ideopathic hypersomnia (you're tired, but we don't know why). The treatment for hypersomnia is often with antidepressants or stimulants. Two that are used are provigil and nuvigil. I don't know if these would be acceptable with your daughter's other diagnoses or medications.

Other things they suggested to us were quiet down time at night before bed. No "screen time" for the last hour before going to sleep - no TV, video games or computer during this time. Just quiet reading or drawing with limited light for this hour. My son would never have gone along with this.

The other recommendation was light therapy. There are special bright lights you use when you first wake up that reduce melatonin production.