Got Salmon - lost the lime/garlic recipe

Star*

call 911........call 911
I felt - "empowered" and DF nearly beat the roof of his mouth to death when I got fresh salmon fillets.

I remembered lime juice and got a fresh clove of garlic - something about let it swim in a bag - Oh I din't know.

HELP -

I sure hope I like this -

We opted out on the Portabella Mushrooms. Df said "I swear you just asked me if I wanted shrooms with my salmon." (See those are the flashbacks he was warned about)

:crazy1:

klmno

Hey, Star! Seems like I might have seen that recipe in the Watercooler, but I'm not sure. I always throw my salmon on the grill for about 10-15 mins- skin side down of course! Call wally-world if you need a recipe- they'll tell you on the phone!

Hope all is well with you and yours!!

LittleDudesMom

Here you go Star.

Take your salmon filets and place them in a baggie. Put in some lime/lemon juice, fresh chopped garlic (Star, I love garlic so when I make two filets I chop about four cloves), some chopped fresh ginger if you have it (about 2 T or so), and a little bit of dill if you have that (a pinch of dry). Let it marinate for a few hours in the fridge. If all you got was the garlic and the lime, that's cool too.

Now, I'm going to give you a quicker and easier way to do this than I gave you before (which was the saute way). Take your salmon and place them in a glass dish, cover with the juice and garlic stuff from the bag (you can add a little more lime juice if you want). Place about 1/4 t of light butter or marg on top if each filet, cover with plastic wrap, poke a little hole in the top, and microware for about five minutes. You can tell when it's done because it will get light pink. Do not overcook it!!!!!! Plate the salmon and then poor the liquid from your glass baking dish over the top.

This method is quicker and easier and I enjoy it more than the saute method we talked about before. The salmon will come out really moist and flaky. I hope you and husband enjoy it.

Weather permitting, it's great on the grill as well!

Sharon

LittleDudesMom

I just noticed you said you got a clove of garlic. What you probably got was a head or bulb of garlic. If you used 4 of those, well, I don't know what would happen. Talk about flashbacks.......................

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
So I bag the fish with the lime juice, 1 clove of garlic (lol), a little ginger and a little dill. Then set in fridge all day. Take out and put in a pyrex dish and microwave for 5 minutes on high? Thats it?

How do you grill it? I am NOT a meat person or a fish person - if I do eat meat I want it killed and burnt. So 5 minute salmon doesn't sound right - how do you saute it - for how long, ????? How do you grill it?

Thanks -

LittleDudesMom

Now Star, I promise that I wouldn't lead you astray and kill you off with uncooked salmon (sushi)!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, five mintues in the micro is enough.

However, if you want to try it sauted, just add the 1/2 t of light butter/marg to a nonstick heated saute pan. Once the butter melts, add the salmon, garlic, ginger, dill and lime juice from the bag. Cook on medium heat about 5 minutes per side. Now, watch the salmon - if you bend over and look at it from the side, you will see the color changing from darker pink to light pink. When that happens 1/2 way up, it's time to turn it over. If the pan gets too dry, add some more lime juice.

Grill - place your marinated salmon (and all the stuff) onto a big sheet of foil that you have sprayed with cooking spray. Place another piece of foil over top and then close all the edges by folding them together. Put it on your grill for about 20 mintues or so.

So, there are you alternatives. But I'm telling you, the microware version ensures a moist flaky salmon every time! I would say the grilling method would be my second choice because you are basically steaming it like you do in the microware.

You and df may decide you really love it and want to experiment with other cooking methods (and feel dangerous and add the shrooms).

If you have any left over, it's great crumbled on a salad the next day or made into salmon cakes! (No, no star, no icing with that!!!!!!!!!!)

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
What is a purper and I'll tell you what happened to it.

Thanks LDM - I think it's going to be either microwave = I got a whole 1/2 side of salmon so I'll cut that up into 3 pieces for decent sized steaks.

And when I find my purper - I'll ......well I'll have to find out what that is .:redface:

LittleDudesMom

You know, your purper star, I mean purple star.

So, was it disgusting, delish, or in the middle?

I'm doing tuna steaks on the grill tonight.

Sharon