government housing

Malika

I'm translating the memoirs of a French president for an American publisher and need help with a word. What do you call cheap, government-subsidised accommodation in the US? I think there's a word for it, it's on the tip of my tongue... is it just government housing?

DammitJanet

Low income housing, HUD housing, income-based housing that's about all I can think of

Government housing could be confused with military housing

DammitJanet

Well Section 8 housing is for actual private houses or apartments and is a certain type of HUD program not the low income based apartments themselves. Yes "the projects" could be a term that would be used in a book.

Malika

Yes, I gather there were some notorious "projects" in Chicago, for example.
I think "public housing" may be the best term.

Nancy

Yes they were referred to as the "projects" years ago. I'm sure that term is no longer used but it was when I was growing up.

Nancy

susiestar

Roll With It
The term "the projects" is still used in some large cities. It is a term most people in the US would understand if they read the book, but I don't know if people in other countries would know.

klmno

If this is a professional book or more than a novel, I think you would use either public housing or some of the other terms DJ suggested. Although 'the projects' is understood by most Americans, it isn't really a term that is politically correct these days and some people are offended by it.

witzend

"Projects" are what we call them. "HUD" and "Section 8" are very specific programs that you wouldn't want to cite unless they were actually the government "project" being utilized.

S

Signorina

The "projects" were "Public Housing Developments".

So, I guess if you mean to suggest subsidized housing for low income people - I'd use the term "public housing".

If you mean to suggest a denser concentration of low income housing complexes that later became blighted - I'd use the term "Public Housing Developments."