Graduation Day

Albatross

It has been awhile since I have posted consistently. Life has been very busy, in a good way...in large part because we have the energy to live our own lives, now that we are learning to let son live his OWN busy life. When he is no longer taking up more than his share of oxygen in the room we can all breathe easier.

Son graduated from his year-long sober living program this week. It's hard to believe the year has come to an end already. The year passed quickly -- so quickly! -- the way time is SUPPOSED to pass with our kids. The ten years he was drinking and using felt like several million lifetimes...

The graduates are asked to give a speech detailing what they've learned over the past year, and where they see themselves in the next year. My son asked me to read his speech beforehand. He said it was to make suggestions, but I think he knew I would be a blubbering mess when I heard it, so he wanted to give me the chance to do so BEFORE his speech. Good call on his part; likely no one would have been able to hear him over my wailing.

The relatives he has alienated over the past 10 years graciously came to the ceremony. He told us all how sorry he was for the pain he has caused. He told us that even if he got nothing else out of the program, seeing us all there made the last year worthwhile.

He then thanked the counselors for their dedication and the other residents for their support and friendship.

Before my son got up to give his speech, I noticed that many of the newer residents looked strung out, scared, resentful and irritated. I remembered how my son looked the very same way when he started. What a contrast to the confident, at peace, well-groomed guy standing behind the podium.

As he spoke, he looked at a few of them and told them that a year ago he NEVER thought he would complete the program. He urged them to stick it out and said it was worth it in ways they couldn't see just yet. He told them to never lose faith that God and the people in charge have their best interests at heart.

He talked about how he has learned to think ahead to the aftermath of drinking, not just how good it might feel in this instant. He then explained how he applies that process of "playing it through" to every area of his life, such as dating women, where he is going to live, where he is going to work, etc.

He talked about how his main plan for the future is to take each day as it comes and protect his sobriety. He knows there will be challenges and realizes he still needs accountability and support, and he explained how he has made those part of his life going forward.

After his speech was over, he pulled me aside and pulled a small box out of his pocket. He said he promised me he would replace the necklace he stole from me and that he was sorry it took him so long, but he wanted to keep his promise. Inside was a beautiful gold pendant with a symbol that reminded us both of a special spot we hiked together. Of course that did it, and I burst into the tears I managed to hold back for the ceremony.

New Leaf

Oh Albie I am so very happy for you, your son and your family. How wonderful to have him back. Congratulations and prayers for continued sobriety and finding true potential.
(((Hugs)))
Leafy

Origami

What a beautiful gesture for your son to replace the necklace! I would have lost it at that point, too. Your son has come so far, and I'm sure hearing him give that speech was like music to your ears. Thanks for sharing your hopeful and positive news!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
OMG thank you so much for sharing your wonderful moment!

It sounds like the program my son has been in. His is 13 months and he will graduate in November.

He is going to the next step on July 8. He will be there for 5 months (as part of 13 month total) and work full time and share a house with others. He will be in the final stage and he is so very happy.

I feel that I could have written your post.

What is your son going to do now?

My son will come to live with us in November in a new state due to my job transfer. He wants to work and attend church and establish himself.

I am scared.

We are all starting over.

Lil

I had to grab a hankie myself after reading this! I'm so very happy for you Alb! Prayers for your son's continued sobriety.