Grandson's psychiatric evaluation, and silver linings.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Youngest took her son in for a psychiatric evaluation a few months ago, and it's taken this long for the results to be finalized and a review appointment to be set. A psychologist administered the test, I'm not sure of her exact qualifications, but it seemed fairly thorough from what Youngest told me. At any rate, Dxes from testing are: Adjustment Disorder with-mixed emotional features, ADHD/mixed type, and Emerging Bipolar Disorder.

None of these are any surprise, really, but it just makes me sad and worried for him. He's been through so much in his short life (he'll be 6 in March), and it seems he'll have a tough road ahead. The "silver lining" to come from this is that Youngest is beginning to finally confront her own issues -- she is finally accepting her diagnoses, is more willing to seek help for herself and is really sticking to taking her medications. She said to me the other day that she just feels so bad for A, because she knows how he feels when he's out of control -- she remembers how she felt. She even went so far as to say she felt bad at how she treated me back then (since she's getting a lot of the same treatment from A).

psychiatrist appintment for medication evaluation is in a few weeks. A is on Adderal for now, prescribed by the pediatrician a couple months ago as a temporary measure until he could get into the psychiatrist. It's definitely helped some, although there are still some rage episodes here and there. If there is "emerging bipolar" obviously a stimulant. could be an issue.. but a mood stabilizer for a 6 year old? That's scary stuff. Neither of my girls was this young when they got their diagnoses (both were pre-teens) so I just have no experience with that.

It's odd to be removed from this -- I have this weird combination of concern and detachment going on. I know Youngest may need some guidance re navigating the Special Education road, and I'm happy to give her some advice there, but trying not to jump into this too far just yet. I don't know how I feel about it all just yet.

Anyway just wanted to share that.

InsaneCdn

At age 6... none of the dxes is cast in stone. This is a current best-guess. If accommodations, interventions and/or medications associated with these dxes help... great. If not... it could be something else... or something in addition to.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I understand (now) that weird combination of concern and detachment. Those more flexible boundaries occur I think after we've been at this awhile...........I was talking about this is my therapy group the other night, as I've gotten more out of the enabling stuff, I can look at each individual issue and figure out how I want to proceed, using all the tools I've learned and making good healthy choices which are not coming from that enabling place. It sounds healthy to let yourself take some time before you jump in, figure out what's right for you. I think that's a great way to proceed, slowly. It's tough with a little guy so young. Sigh. I feel for you.