Great Recipe for Flourless Brownies!

susiestar

Roll With It
Attn: girlfriend diet changers, brownie lovers, those who want healthier brownies that are still big on taste!

Whole Foods has a section of their website where they use a Secret Ingredient to help makeover a recipe. The goal is to make a healthier version of the original item.

This flourless brownie has black beans in the recipe! If you don't have a food processor you can process them in a blender.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2594

Maybe if we don't tell our kids that they are healthy then the kids will see them as a treat.

Enjoy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Just remember that Whole Foods CEO is outspokenly against the sort of health care changes nearly all of need.

Google "Whole Foods Boycott"

N

Nomad

Holy cow!
I've been looking for this recipe for what seems like FOREVER!

Many, many thanks.

AND just yesterday, husband asked me if I heard about "some" Whole Foods controversy. I had not.

Thank you again.

:D:D

susiestar

Roll With It
I had NO IDEA! The guy is an outspoken idiot! how did he ever become head of an organization of the size and type that he now runs? He sure does NOT have a clue about his target market.

Dang. The only one in my state just became Whole Food instead of Wild Oats in the last year or so. Since it IS 80 miles away, I didn't go often. But I did like being able to stock up on spices, tvp, and a dried veggie mix.

Looks like I may have to buy online from now on. We have 2 or 3 health food groceries in our town but their hours are nothing short of bizarre and unpredictable. They also didn't go through spices fast enough to make sure they were fresh.

But I will NOT shop in a store that speaks out against healthcare that way. Not with my healthcare bills and the kids' bills. We have come very very close to bankrupt several times in the last 18 years. ALL because of the cost of healthcare.

I still plan to cook the recipe and I will let you know how it tastes.

But I have had chocolate cake made with campbell's tomato soup for the liquid, Dr. Pepper Cake, 7Up cake, and lots and lots and lots of things with prunes pureed instead of the fat. Or soy flour and a dash of oil instead of an egg.

Iwill let you know.

N

Nomad

I will read more...

but I can tell you ONE thing that FREAKED me out here locally is that we had Wild Oats for years.

On Tuesdays they offered discounts to college students and Senior Citizens.

When it changed to Whole Foods, that was the first thing they did away with!

Say what?

It was soooo cute. On Tuesdays, my son and his girlfriend would go there along with the older people.

Now, it is dead on Tuesdays.

Personally, I thought it was a terrible terrible thing to do. Those groups hesitate to shop there due to restricted finances and it gave them a way to buy healthy food and something to really look forward to.

ETA:
I wrote a letter to Whole Foods expressing my dissappointment about taking away the discount for college students and Senior Citizens! Will mail or fax. I feel better.

Last edited:

Josie

Interesting recipe! I think I will make it to see if I can get difficult child 1 to eat something healthy.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah. Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats a bit back and the very first thing they did was cut wages and benefits.

I'm very disappointed in them. I shopped them when I lived in Chicago and then, after I moved to Northern WI, I used to carry a cooler down with me so I could shop with them.

It's a shame as while I got my meats from a local co-op, we did like Whole Foods for the ornanic lines and house brands.

However, you can get wonderful locally grown produce at Hispanic, Indian grocery stores. Russian/Eastern European shops have wonderful breads.

The Hispanic stores often have very good meats at a fraction of the price you'd pay "outside"

Hit Indian stores for beans, lentils, seasoning mixes, rice.

It's all the same stuff Whole Foods sells. It's just that you have travel to get it. BUT, you can get it, and at a better price, too.

TerryJ2

Great recipe. Thank you. I'm off to Google the political debate. Gotta have chocolate while I read it ...

susiestar

Roll With It
I really hate the ways Whole Foods has changed the community. Used to be when I went in to the store if they were tossing oranges that had to be eaten right away they would give each of the kids one. No charge. We didn't ask, but they usually offered.

One day when thank you was about 4 they were stocking the pecans. He had just learned to make pecan pie from my grandmother's recipe - he did all but the crust by himself!! So he looked at me and said that they were BIIIG 'Cans! with that "WOW" tone that only a child can do.

They had about 3 ounces that would not fit into the big bin they were filling. The girl put them in a little covered container and wrote no charge and gave it to him. He BEAMED all the way through the store. Even now he remembers it and calls it "the good pecan store".

From what I have just seen in some local blogs, this is ALL a thing of the past.

But so am I.

I have already blasted corporate.