Grocery shopping

Lothlorien

Just wanted to share...
I just bought a bunch of stuff on Amazon last week (linking through our website to Amazon helps to pay for the site). Look at the manager's specials. I bought two 28 oz containers of Folgers for $11.88. One of those containers are $9.99 in my grocery store. I was also able to get Missy's snacks (no food coloring or corn syrup) from Amazon, where I normally have to make a 45 minute trip to the local Whole Foods store. Most of it was delivered free. Some things I had to pay shipping for, but compared to the gas I would have used ($3.00 per gal) It probably worked out the same, but I didn't have to lose several hours of my time.

You have to buy some things in bulk, but for the cost, it's much cheaper than if you were to buy one in the store.

Try it. Let me know what you think. I was very happy with it. I just got my coffee yesterday and am expecting a few other things today.

susiestar

Roll With It
Amazon sells a WONDERFUL line of broths that are concentrated into little packets like ketchup packets. It is all natural and one packet makes one cup of broth when you add it to hot water. It has no MSG or additives, causes NO migraines (hard to find and expensive at grocery stores) and takes very little room on the shelf - LOTS less than cans of broth or those cartons. The brand is Savory Choice and they make chicken, beef, vegetable and maybe turkey broths. They are well worth the price. My mom LOVES them because after a migraine she cannot eat solids because her stomach is tender and sweet things like ginger ale are not appealing. The broth helps her get back to normal MUCH quicker esp as it has no MSG to trigger another headache (big problem with other broths). Having one packet make one cup of broth is the perfect size (and makes cooking a lot easier too!)

SRL

I've heard of people using amazon prime ($79 for the year) for shopping purposes when they lived in out of the way places and when gas prices were high. You have to be careful with that though because it's only good with amazon purchases or fullfilled by amazon purchases--not the marketplace or other vendors.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I've used amazon (through this website) for many things including a tv. : ) I usually do not buy anything if I have to pay shipping.
We are on a subscribe and save plan for toilet paper, paper towels(every 3 months) and a box of diapers every month (to nephew) . I often buy laundry detergent 4 bottles to the case, dishwasher packets and fabric softener via amazon.
I routinely check out their groceries for things I use. Coffee being the biggest one.

DammitJanet

SRL..I used that amazon prime recently when they offered a free trial month...but I cut it off so I didnt have to pay the whole $79 because I dont do that much shopping through amazon where shipping is concerned. I had bought a printer so shipping was going to cost a lot and it saved me a bunch in shipping!

susiestar

Roll With It
This fall was the first time I didn't have the amazon prime. Last year it saved us well over a hundred dollars (probably 3-4 times that much) because I was able to buy items on sale far cheaper than i could get them in our town. I also was not as dependent on Walmart (the only retailer of that type in our town and the main grocery here - our other 2 grocery stores have some real quality issues). Many of the books the kids wanted to read were vastly cheaper at amazon's prices than at other places, esp the only bookstore in our town - which has a fairly limited selection and s l o o o o o o o o w w w ordering procedures (IF they can order the book). It also meant that I did not have to drive over an hour to get certain items that are not sold in our town or are sold three or four times higher here. I only get certain groceries because so much of what we eat is not made by mix, etc...

If you take a look at what you plan to purchase and what is available on Prime, you may find that it works out to be much cheaper to use Prime than the car. It ends up being less than $7 per month - 2 1/2 gallons of gas. While at 30mpg that is 75 miles, you still have to figure in your time, the hassle, the extras that you get to keep the kids cooperative or because you are hungry and your resistance is low. Just a though.

susiestar

Roll With It
H - they don't take food stamps because it is considered that delivery is part of the fee and they won't pay for that. I have a feeling that it will change in a few years.

H

HaoZi

I can already see the complications, potential for fraud, and the gov't tracking what people on FS eat... spooky.

DammitJanet

I didnt know that Amazon sold groceries either. That may be a real lifesaver to me at some point in my life when I cant get out as easily. Very good to know.

Lothlorien

Fran, I just signed up for the delivery of paper towels once every three months. I figured let me get the first package and see how long it lasts. If I need it sooner, I can always change it. Free shipping. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. When I have more time, I'm going to see what else I can order that will come on a regular basis that ends up being cheaper than the grocery store. I'm just thrilled about this.

SRL, most of the stuff that I buy on Amazon is free shipping or comes from other vendors. If I find that I'm spending money on shipping tho, I might look into that.

I just wish I could order milk, eggs and cold stuff. We have peapod, but Amazon seems so much cheaper. If I get this job I'm looking to get and go back to working in an office five days a week, I will likely start Peapod shopping a lot more, but I'm still loving this Amazon shopping for things I can't get in my local stores.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish we had some kind of grocery delivery. Our taxi service has a driver who will pick up 3-5 items for a few of the elderly that she drives on a regular basis. Other than that, we have no local delivery other than pizza. I wonder if a service would be profitable in our area. There would have to be some sort of standardized lists, but a college kid or person looking for a job while the kids are in school might be able to make some $$ doing this. Hmmmmmm..... I bet Wiz and Jess would each be good at this - once Jess was able to get a license, of course.

I would think that it would be something that 2 people could do together, to minimize the risks of delivery jobs. No way would I let one of my kids deliver pizza or fast food, but the clients who would have groceries delivered are very different than those who would have pizza delivered, at least most of them would be different. Pizza delivery can be very dangerous - I ran into some real whackjobs when I did it.

nvts

I can already see the complications, potential for fraud, and the gov't tracking what people on FS eat... spooky.

In New York City they're already tracking it...Bloomberg is pushing NYS to disallow soda and juices because of how "fat" a lot of the people on Foodstamps seem to be. If his holiness keeps it up, you'd only be able to buy organic foods which means the foodstamps would run out in the first week and a half!

Beth

H

HaoZi

Disallow juice? Is he crazy? I could see making it have to be 100% juice or something, but to disallow all juices is INSANE.