Grrr....

witzend

The "interested buyer" offered us $15,000 less than we're asking and wants all of our Persian carpets and appliances. That puts us $12,000 in the hole on our mortgage, plus we have to buy new carpets and appliances when we get to our new place. Um - no.

I'm not thrilled that our agent told them we were relocating. It makes us sound desperate to get out of here. I'm not dying to move down to NC with nothing to my name.

T

TeDo

Then don't accept the offer. Let the realtor know that your asking price is FIRM relocating or not. Sorry. However, my original bid for my house was way below the asking price and we worked up to what the sellers "really" wanted.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think you need to tell your agent not to disclose the fact that you're relocating. It's really no ones business and shouldn't affect the price. I'd be annoyed about that as well!

witzend

Offer from buyer number two is coming this evening... I swear to god my heart is going to pound out of my chest...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Miss Ouixa Boudreau, our darling Grandog LOVES Persian rugs. Don't bring them South - lol. Tell the first buyers to find their OWN magic carpet ride. Yours is NOT for sale.

S

Signorina

Good Luck! And "relocating" is usually a good thing in my humble opinion - buyer's want to know "why" you are leaving...relocating infers that you love it here and love your house but have to move for a job...

If offer #2 is similar, I'd work the offers against each other.

If offer #2 doesn't come in ;I'd tell buyer #1 that you will keep the carpets and the appliances and meet them halfway at a reduction of $7500 (or $5000 or $3000 whatever your RE agent thinks is good) Take it or leave it.

I think it's easier to try to work with an existing offer (or offers if #2 comes through) to get the house sold quickly then to hope you get a better one. Especially if it means you get to move to NC more quickly and won't be paying living expenses in both places.

Congrats on the offers - great news

susiestar

Roll With It
In this market a buyer would probably be advised that it is nuts to offer close to the asking price, simply because this is a buyer's market. So the first offer is usually not what they are willing to settle on unless they are first time buyers who cannot offer more. So definitely play the two off each other for a higher, no appliances or carpet price.

I hope you get a price you want that covers the mortgage and a bit extra with NO appliances/carpets included!

lmf64

My parents sold their house two years ago. They are retired and have spent most of the last four years in their fifth wheel. Anyway, the couple who eventually bought the house made their offer (20 grand under asking price) parents came back at 10 grand under asking and the couple jumped on it. The week before closing they called their agent asking how soon they could move in, oh and their offer was for the house fully furnished. I was so dumbfounded by such idiocy. They almost pulled out of the deal. They were Asian and that's apparently how you do things where they came from.