Guess I'm too old to shop

muttmeister

Things they don't seem to make anymore:
I wanted juice glasses. Cheap ones that the grandkids can use. I looked in my little town - we only have Pamida and Dollar General so yesterday I looked in Target and WalMart and a few other places. They have fancy bar glasses and big glasses but I can't find small juice glasses anyplace.

Also, I wanted to make a kindergarten scrap book for granddaughter. You used to be able to buy spiral bound scrapbooks to paste things into and also three ring binder ones. Now the only ones I can find are $29 covers to which you are supposed to add fancy pages. Now, I admire people who do fancy scrapbooks but I am not one of them. I don't have the time, the patience, or the inclination. I just want a cheap thing I can glue some stuff in. Do they make them any more? NOOOOOO!

I'm tired of things getting new and improved to the point they're useless.

muttmeister

Thanks, Suz, but those are much fancier and much more expensive than I was looking for. I'm thinking of buying a 3 ring binder and using that. I could decorate the front a little and make it work. Am I just cheap or am I totally out of touch?

SRL

Things they don't seem to make anymore:
I wanted juice glasses. Cheap ones that the grandkids can use. I looked in my little town - we only have Pamida and Dollar General so yesterday I looked in Target and WalMart and a few other places. They have fancy bar glasses and big glasses but I can't find small juice glasses anyplace.

They still make them...only now they call them shot glasses. ;-)

H

HaoZi

Do they still make the sticky page 3-ring binder photo albums? You could turn those into a scrapbook I would think.

Kiddo uses the cheapo plastic juice cups from Wal-Mart that kind of look like glass. Otherwise, yeah, hit the actual grocery stores and look for the jelly in jelly glasses.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well - WE have the same problem here - because I wanted JUICE glasses - and went everywhere looking for them. I found them at the Good will. Found a whole set - nice ones too - small, little nice plain juice glasses and I think I paid .25 each for about 8 of them - clear glass. The only place I've seen them since? The Anchor Hocking store or Carolina Pottery - .60 each.

As far as the scrap book? I have several like you are asking for and would be glad to GIVE you one. It's got rivets - nothing fancy - and you'll have to buy the little corner sticky things for photos at the Dollar General - I got mine at Big Lots - $3.99 if you don't have one - Let me know what color and I'll see if I have one - if not? I'll go get one and you pay me for postage - or exchange phone numbers and I'll text you a picture until you like one. Best I can do - or you can just go to any Big Lots near you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
PS. YOU are NOT too old. The world just went and got all grown up in it's (laughing thinking about Hounds statement) Big Girl Panties - and I'm still wearing (laughing thinking about Abbeys version) Granny Panties.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Actually you're the only person outside of mother in law that I've known to make scrapbooks like that. My kids adored the scrapbook she made them. It's sitting in the top of my closet, old, a little rough and worn, but still much loved. I pull it out for the grands on occasion. I'm sure when she made it she never intended it to last to her great grandchildren. lol

The problem is that scrapbooking has become a very popular hobby these days and it seems most people don't have the time or inclination to make the the old way, which I also prefer.

I'm tired of things being new and improved to the point where I stop buying them. Twinkies.........now you wouldn't think they could mess up a twinkie right? Yup they did it.......they "improved" the recipe several years ago and I nearly gagged on one. I buy mine from aldi's now..........tastes like the name brand USED to taste before they messed with them.

Ya know you'd think common sense would say if people liked a product enough that it's a hit........a long standing hit.........then there is obviously no reason to mess with success. I have a very very long list of things I no longer buy due to this. :(

muttmeister

I think there's a Big Lots in Lincoln or Omaha; I'll look next time I go - or else I'll improvise something.
As far as the juice glasses go, I've been meaning to look at the thrift store. The hospital runs it and I have friends who work there so I may put out the word what I am looking for and they can snag them for me.

There are so many things I used to buy that I loved and the new and improved them to the point that I dont' even buy them anymore. That is just plain stupid.