Guess what I have!!!!! (Fran....)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
ANOTHER sinus infection. Been off antiobiotics a week.

This make 6 in 5 months.

PLUS she thinks I have a polyp, as well, so did another CT. Hopefully will hear tomorrow. MUST get on top of this.

GRR.

On a good note, tho, guess who's coming home (Fran...)

Wee difficult child's original fainting goat (now named Mollie instead of "GoatGoat") will be returning to our zoo this weekend. I'm so excited to have her back, I have missed her so much. She's MINE this time, and I'm not selling her for Lego's.

So maybe there will be more fainting goat stories to share...

TerryJ2

So sorry about the sinus infection. Perhaps the goat's antics will provide a distraction? I haven't heard about Raoul for a long time. I thought we'd arranged for him to go on a Caribbean vacation with-one of the stressed out moms here ...

nvts

Ok, all ears about the goat too!

About the sinus infection: my sister's sister in law (I know, I know, it gets confusing!) ended up having her sinus' "scraped". They actually went in and "scrubbed down" her sinus cavity! Sounds gross, I know, but she hasn't had a sinus infection since the proceedure 8 (yes, eight) years ago. She would get them every week. The antibiotics would end, out of system, BAM! another infection.

Now my sister gets them too, but she uses this weird shaped nasal spray/solution/mist that is over the counter (I've seen it at CVS), that basically "floods" the sinus cavity and cleans all the goop out (she also has horrible allergies). Might be worth a try!

Feel better!

Beth

Lothlorien

yes, those goats startle very easily and their defense is to just fall over. They become essentially paralyzed for a few seconds.

Sinus infection....do you have an ENT? What antibiotics are you on? I'm the queen of sinus infections. It sounds like you aren't getting rid of ONE very lingering one. If not treated with long term, strong antibiotics, the symptoms will disappear, but the infection still lingers and just keeps returning until you get impacted and have no other choice but surgery. (been there done that)

If you are not seeing a good ENT, I strongly suggest the ENT.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have heard of fainting goats, but never believed. I wish you could videotape it and put it on youtube or something.

My sister also had horrible sinuses - she's had polyps removed and her sinuses scraped and she carries around the saline sprays, etc. But she smokes and drinks beer, which are both really really bad for sinuses.

I use the neti pot in the shower nightly and it helps to keep the infections at bay. I will occasionally get one, but nothing like it used to be where they would last for months. Have you tried a daily cleanser such as the neti pot, which only uses saline water? There is a specific way to use it so it's different from the simple saline sprays.

Sorry you're still suffering - I hope you're able to kick this one out!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I love fainting goats. They come up in our conversation every time husband and I are out on the property. The video clip is adorable.

A couple of fainting goats, 2 Scilian donkeys and 2 Great Pyrs. My HOA (homeowners assoc)will just love me. I may have to wait until I am more rural.

Shari, sorry about the sinus infection but I'm tickled you are getting your goat Mollie.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
BBK and MrsCat, Yup, you say "boo" and it falls over. And it doesn't just fall over, they get stiff and their legs stick out like they're dead and bloated. Its HYSTERICAL. However, note that this goat belonged to wee difficult child. There is not much that makes her faint anymore.

IN FACT.... want a funny fainting goat story? We found a billy and took wee difficult child's goat to be bred. We got to the farm and opened the trailer door and GoatGoat walked out. The billy goat (Aptly named "Billy", by the way) approached and checked her out. Of course, GoatGoat played hard to get and ran away. She ran to the top of a small gravel pile. Billy, in hot pursuit, followed. At the top of the gravel pile, Billy started doing what billy goats do, and wee difficult child, who was watching, thought that was so funny, he absolutely SHRIEKED. Which GoatGoat was used to, but Billy....not so much. Billy stiffened up and fainted, not only falling off of his new love, but also tumbling right down the side of the gravel pile!

Where is the video camera when you need it....?

JoG, when she gets home, I'll try to catch her on camera. It is very real. One of the babies she had used to get on the bus with wee difficult child and never fail, would faint when he saw all those kids, and come tumbling off the bus...One would think he would have learned what was at the top of those steps eventually...

As for the infection, I do have an ENT and have been debating the surgery. I do the sinus rinse, and I've been taking allergy shots (tho I must admit I've fallen off that bandwagon a bit lately - but I haven't had any problems with allergies lately, either.) I'm thinking its time for the surgery, but I REALLY don't want to do it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I do the nasal rinse in the shower. I know...gross, but after having years of perpetual sinus infections it worked. I think I threw up several times when I started. It's not normal to snort water in your nose.

Goats? Watch Animal Planet. They have that clip on there fairly regularly. It's hysterical to watch.

Abbey

Hmm, goats that faint. A hot commodity?

Am I missing something? Do you keep them near the sheep so they have something soft to land on? Or are there special band-aids that stuck to goat fur, should they skin a knee?

I would imagine that they would be pretty easy prey, should a coyote come along.

"Aroooooo!"

*thud*

Om-nom-nom-nom

If you cross-bred one with a dog, would you get a Doberman fainter?

Yeah, I know I'm being silly. I've just never heard of an animal whose main characteristic is fainting (except for Paris Hilton) nor would I imagine anyone wanting it. See how much I know?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Star, no one got my goat, cause it was difficult child's when he sold it.
But I'm getting it back, so hopefully no one will "git my goat" now, either!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The fainting is a form of hereditary nacolepsy. BUT...the reason fainting goats have become popular has nothing to do with the "fainting".

It's because they are TASTY. Yup, goat meat tastes like a cross between good lamb and venison: very good stuff, and as it happens, fainting goats produce a very nice carcass.

And yes, BBK, those goat meat farmers who raise fainting goats do make an effort not to scare them as there is a risk of them injuring themselves when they go down or try to get up.

The idea is to provide a peaceful environment right up to slaughter time.

hth
toK