Had 2 wisdom teeth removed yesterday

N

nandz

I look like a chipmunk!!!! Should I still be applying ice or should I switch to heat now? I also don't know if I should go to work tomorrow.

tiredmommy

I used ice and Motrin (I was nursing Duckie at the time). I seem to remember icing for a few days at least. I wasn't working at the time but I seem to remember some lifting restrictions. Plus, you may have driving or other restrictions if you are on a prescription pain medication. I'd call the dentist to clarify.

LittleDudesMom

When my daughter had her four out, I had her use bags of frozen peas for a couple days. They mold great to your chippy cheeks! Keep two in the freezer and two on your face. After the second day she was without medications - but everyone is different - her girlfriend was swollen and taking advil/motrin for several days. I seem to remember keeping daughter laying low for three days. I think, were I you, I would give it one more day.

Sharon

trinityroyal

Nandz, hope you're starting to feel better.

Keep up with the cold packs until your swelling goes down. Heat would dilate your blood vessels and make the swelling worse. Prescription pain medications sometimes have anti-inflammatory properties, and OTC ibuprofen-based medications (Advil, Motrin) are also good anti-inflammatories.

Also, watch out for dry socket. If it is very painful or the pain gets worse instead of better, especially if it hurts when you breathe in, then you might have a dry socket and you'll need further attention from your dentist or oral surgeon.

Hope you have a quick recovery!

Trinity