Had discharge meeting

B

bran155

Hello everyone. I had the discharge meeting today. My sister and my sw came with me. It went pretty well considering my daughter was under the assumption she would be coming home tomorrow and she isn't. The doctor wants her to have 2 home passes before they actually discharge her. So she will come home for the day on Sat and Sun and if all goes well be discharged on Monday. She was very happy about that. My sw really tried her best to get my daughter to get out of her denial and agree that she has a mental illness. She refuses to admit she is "bipolar" or "borderline" but she would at least admit she has problems. That was a big step for her. So the plan is for her to go to a partial hospital program for a few weeks and then go into day treatment. The doctor thinks to put her back into a residential program will only be counter-productive as she has already been in 3 to no avail. My daughter was delighted to hear that!!! We will have intensive case management and an array of other services, down the line. That is providing that the court rules in our favor. We have court on the 21st, we are hoping that the county attorney agrees to this plan. He might request for my daughter to be remanded. In which case she would end up staying in a detention center while social services finds the appropriate placement. I think it would be a waste of time, the search usually takes up to 4 months. During those months my daughter would be locked up receiving no services at all only to end up into an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for 2 months before turning 18 and signing herself out.

Once she is 18 she could go into independent living and get an apartment on her own if she would agree to the stipulations. Unfortunately she won't do it. There are curfews involved along with household chores and medication compliance.... and so on. I wish she could see the long term benefits of something like that. It would be so great for her, they would get her a job and teach her life skills and she would learn how to manage money and even balance a check book. But you know difficult child's, heck even "normal" teenagers can't see beyond instant gratification!!! I try not to worry too much about what is going to happen when she is 18. I am trying very hard just to take it one day at a time. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and support. I will let you all know how my weekend goes. I am crossing every extension of my body!!! :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Bran,
I think it's good they are doing the trial visits and then the partial hospitalization. Will be keeping you and yours in my prayers.