had neurodevel pedi visit today.

Lothlorien

Really just a follow up with the NP. Had the 2nd evaluation with doctor over the summer and he did not change her diagnosis from "adjustment disorder", which is a lame and ridiculous diagnosis. He apparently told NP that since the Risperdal has been in place, her "adjustment disorder" has improved based on what I told him. Has he even read the criteria for "adjustment disorder"? The only reason she's on the Risperdal, is because the Neurologist and the pshychologist suggested it, because they BOTH felt it was, without a doubt, bipolar. She responded poorly with stims. She did okay with Abilify, but did not achieve full results as with Risperdal. They also BOTH felt that since she's responded so well to the Risperdal with the Trileptal combo, that was further proof.

Anyway, he still has her listed as "adjustment disorder" with mood disorder and adhd as a differential. There is no adhd. I know there isn't. Teachers know there isn't. Neuro says no. Psychologist says no. Why does this bonehead still say adhd? 4 against 1.

I gotta find a new doctor for her. The only thing he's got right is the mood disorder.

Lothlorien

Terry, during the visit in August, he jumped all over some of the suggestions that the psychologist had made. I trust the psychologist more than anyone, because she was in my house and she saw what goes on. She was the first one who made suggestions that actually worked. She's also worked under Ross Greene and worked, for many years, at the local childrens' psychiatric home. When he jumped on it, I had decided that there was no point in arguing with arrogance. I waited to see what his report said and he changed nothing, despite what psychologist said. She recommended a psychiatrist. I think I'll make an appointment with him. She works well with this psychiatrist, which I think will make treatment a lot smoother.

Jena

Sorry to hear that, sheesh like pick and chose a diagnosis. Insane. Thats a good idea to go to that pyschdoc that there's already an established relationship. I wish you luck.

house of cards

I wonder if you had the same NP, the arrogance seems familar. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to just say the word Bipolar, I really don't understand it. I've heard they aren't sure enough to label the child with it, yet they diagnosis other things, find they are wrong, and change dxes so why can't they do that with Bipolar if new info changes the diagnosis? It is so unbelievably frustrating.

Lothlorien

Kathie, basically, I got the feeling that they don't want to diagnosis bipolar because of the stigmata that comes with it. NP told me that I should be happy that she doesn't have that official diagnosis. HUH? We all KNOW what it is, so what difference does it make. I said let's call a spade a spade here, not a fork! They have the mentality that If it looks like a pig, snorts like a pig....let's call it a sheep, because a sheep doesn't carry the stigmatism of being fat like a pig???

Besides, that doctor is the only doctor that hasn't officiall diagnosis'd bipolar. The others have, so it's just ridiculous.

Jena

Plus at the end of the day as life progreses and with age that diagnosis besides the stigma i know we got ours' last mos officially will come certain services in which difficult child will be available for at least in this state, if education contiues past high school.

i totally agree with you, while i appreciate their hesitancy in dxing such a majorly complicated and often misdiagnosed diagnosis at the end of the day if other doctor's have said it and it's all pointing to it than enough already and anti up.

sorry you have to be so aggrivate by such ridiculousness. is that even a word? lol ok you know what i meant though :)

M

ML

This psychologist sounds great! I'm glad someone on the team stood out as having a clue and I bet once you work with her you will feel so much more confidence in protocols and approaches.