Had to put down my beloved Beau this morning.......

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
He was a big dog, 160 lbs, with a heart to match. I never was afraid if he was around because I knew he would stand between me and any danger. He was over ten years old and had turned totally gray on his muzzle. He was the best dog we ever had, was not destructive and we would just let him go out and do "his business" and he would want to come right back in to be with us. He was having problems with his back legs, they didn't always support him. I decided I should do this before we were in a predicament where he couldn't get up and I couldn't move him. If he had been smaller I might have tried to keep him alive longer, but he would sometimes lay down and whine because he couldn't get up. Sorry to babble on, just miss him already....... Thanks for letting me tell you about him.:crying:

Jody

I am so sorry. What was his name. he sounds like a great dog. What kind was he? It's hard to let them go but sometimes it is best if they are hurting. Hang in there and many hugs!!!!

Jody

Just saw his name in the title sorry about that. I am a pet lover and I know it's hard. Been thru it a couple times this year.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am facing this in the future with my Gryphon. He is an eight year old German Shepherd and has severe spinal arthritis. He weighs 95lbs and I know there is going to come a point where it's going to be too hard for him to get up and down. I can't pick him up or really help him, so I know at some point I'll have to put him down while I can still get him in the car. (no vets out here that do house calls).

I am so sorry for your loss. English Mastiffs are wonderful dogs.

mog

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Our animals ARE part of the family. We have two blue heelers, the female is 9 yrs (our years) and the male is 7yrs. WE thought that we were going to loose the female a while back when my husband was hurt. I had placed his percocet pain medications on his night stand and when I was laying him back in bed -she had eaten them. We have noticed that she is getting slower.
He will live on in your heart!!!!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Bless his heart. It sounds like Beau was a real trooper and a loving fuzzbutt. I've only known one mastiff and he was a gentle soul despite his size. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
Suz

jal

WMM - I am so sorry, it is so hard to have to put down a beloved fur baby. husband and I have been there and done that with our 12 1/2 yr old pure bred Rottweiler, Zack a few years ago. We had him since he was 5 weeks old. Just 3 months ago we had to do the same with our lovely orange tiger Abbott. My heart goes out to you. Take solace in knowing you did the right thing to prevent any further suffering. It is such a heartache to do the right thing for their quality of life.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hugs, the hole they leave when they die is very hard to fill. It's good you didn't let him suffer.

witzend

WMM, I'm so sorry for your loss. We are nearly there with Bubba, and don't know what to do. We've had the conversation several times over the past couple of weeks. He is about 75 pounds and 13.5 years old. It is so difficult for him to stand up, and getting him to do his "business" has sometimes become a 10 minute ordeal of cornering him in the yard until he squats. He has accidents in the house. We're trying very hard every day to determine whether or not he is in constant pain, or if he is happy. Honestly, he sleeps most of the time, and when he is awake he is begging for food. He can't even eat the chewy treats that he used to love because he can't hold them in his paws to chew on them.

You're more brave than us, I think. You may be a better dog mom than me. I just can't bring myself to do it.

TerryJ2

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I am so sorry.
You did the right thing. I cannot imagine trying to lift a 160 lb mastiff.
We used to have borzoi, and the male was about 95 lbs, but had gotten to 65 lbs when he got pneumonia. When I took him to the vet to have him put down, I pulled him out of the back of the van, lost my grip and dropped him! Poor thing! Dogs are so forgiving.
Anyway, many hugs to you, and many wonderful thoughts for your Beau over the rainbow bridge.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thank you all for your support. It was an extremely difficult decision to make. I keep second guessing if he could have managed a little longer, but decided I would have been a bigger mess if I had to watch his demise....... witz, I know your pain and everyone's situation is a little different. My back has gone out several times and I knew there would be no way I could have moved him without his help. Terry, I had a ramp to get him in/out of the car, otherwise we would not have gone anywhere....... I feared the "dropping" too....... I keep thinking I hear him....... guess he is still with me.......