Hair and make up and your clothes style fun thread!!

BusynMember

I am not vain, but one thing I make sure of is that nobody ever sees me gray. Even I never have. I use brown coloring usually tinted red. I don't think my hair is a pretty white. It is probably just gray....

Also I wear a simple hairstyle....inches below my shoulders and straight. I have bangs.

I haven't worn makeup probably for a few decades. I never did like make up. Glasses cover my eyes anyway.

My wardrobe is casual....jeans leggings sweats....t shirts, flannel shirts, some cammo (the official design of Wisconsin) etc. Packers sweat shirts. Save the Animals shirts. Athletic shoes. Short white socks always soft. I favor soft, lucious material that caresses skin.

When I tried on mother of the bride dresses it was the first time I saw me in a dress for a long time. Funny, my girls both dress down much like me. Like mother/ like daughters.

Your turn.

Lil

My hair is fairly distinctive I think. I've always liked my hair and used to color it. But I haven't in like 10 years. To tell the truth, I'm cheap and I got tired of spending so much on color! My last attempt at home color left me with stripes of color not found in nature. I have a lot of gray for my age, but it's distributed in a really cool way...I have solid stripes of white by my face - think Rogue from the X-men :D. There's a lot of salt in my otherwise very dark brown pepper these days, but the temples grayed first and really, people pay money to have big white streaks in their hair. So, I let it go. I can tuck it behind my ears and just have salt and pepper, or let my gray flags fly. It's quite white/silver too...not a nasty gunmetal gray that some brunettes get. I like it. I've always had good hair, very full and thick, and I wear it however; I have a lot of natural curl/wave, but I straighten it too. It's currently cut in an asymmetrical bob - one side longer than the other- with bangs. I'll probably keep it this way for a good long while - it suits me. With age though, my hair is getting thinner and I hate that. I still have thick hair, but I shed like a nervous cat!

Truthfully, if I had like a month off work, I'd get some of that bright royal blue color and see what that would do. If I could get it to wash out of the brown, but just stick to the white - I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I'm pretty much never seen without some type of makeup. I have very dark undereye circles (not bags) and I hate them. So concealer goes on every time I show my face outside the house. The only time I wouldn't bother would be If I were going to the pool or something. I usually wear at least a smidge of eye liner, usually mascara, and since my eyebrows have decided to not only go gray, but thin, a brow mascara at least.

As for clothes, I'm a blue-jean and sweater kind of girl, or at least a top with sleeves. Fat saggy arms don't need to be in public. I have had to wear skirts and slacks to the office my whole working life...suits when I actually practiced law, but the new dress code allows jeans all the time so long as they're neat. Yay! Casual Friday all week long. I'm talking public clothes of course...at home it's pajama pants and oversized t-shirts.

Poor Jabber doesn't really get to see me at my best on the weekends.:tongue:

Pink Elephant

Having a light olive complexion, I use little makeup, mostly for special occasions or outings, though I do like to paint my nails from time to time. Used to paint my nails all the time when I was younger, and boy were my nails ever long back in the day.

Hair is dark, dark brown, almost black, with no gray, and thick with subtle wave and curl, so keeping it shorter with a simple layered cut, has been how I've been wearing it for a good number of years now.

As for clothes and dress, I'm pear-shaped, so dress slacks fit me best, because of my bigger tushie, legs, and hips. Love white slacks through the summer, casual and comfy tops, and basic comfortable shoes, sneakers and basic casuals topping my list as to my favourites.

As for kicking around home attire, I just love cotton comfort, and for me that equates to simple sweats (pants), with a long-sleeve top of some kind, and when out gardening, a comfortable pair of pants with stretch and give. Never have liked cramping my style. :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh the hair! When my hair fell out during cancer treatments I vowed I would never complain about a bad hair day. I do color my hair, just not ready to go gray, don't think I ever will be. I use Henna which is natural so I don't have to worry about chemicals. My husband laughs at me when I do it because it looks like green runny cow :poop:
:mornincoffee:
I cut my own hair and have for years. I wear it long, just past my shoulders. When I'm going to work or some type of function I always curl it. I have natural curl but using a curling iron makes it behave better. On the weekends it's in a pony tail or claw clip.

As for clothes, I have to dress professional for my job. When not working it's usually jeans and shirt with loafers. I own tennis shoes but rarely wear them, even when I work out, I prefer an athletic slip on shoe that's not as rigid. If I'm just hanging around the house I'm in yoga pants.

I like to collect t-shirts from our travels but I only wear them to sleep in.:tongue:

Pink Elephant

Oh the hair! When my hair fell out during cancer treatments I vowed I would never complain about a bad hair day. I do color my hair, just not ready to go gray, don't think I ever will be. I use Henna which is natural so I don't have to worry about chemicals. My husband laughs at me when I do it because it looks like green runny cow :poop:
:mornincoffee:
I cut my own hair and have for years. I wear it long, just past my shoulders. When I'm going to work or some type of function I always curl it. I have natural curl but using a curling iron makes it behave better. On the weekends it's in a pony tail or claw clip.

As for clothes, I have to dress professional for my job. When not working it's usually jeans and shirt with loafers. I own tennis shoes but rarely wear them, even when I work out, I prefer an athletic slip on shoe that's not as rigid. If I'm just hanging around the house I'm in yoga pants.

I like to collect t-shirts from our travels but I only wear them to sleep in.:tongue:
Sending a big warm caring hug your way this morning. So happy to know you're alive and well.

KTMom91

Hubby likes my hair long...it's nearly to my waist. I colored it for years - blonde, red, burgundy - but now it's natural, dark blonde, and usually up in a bun or ponytail because I get too hot with it hanging on my neck. I wear makeup to work and for special occasions, but not on a day to day basis.

My clothing is denim and T-shirts. I do own some cute dresses, but I rarely go anywhere that requires a dress. I wear capris or shorts when it's hot, and jeans when it isn't. I have work jeans/capris and everyday stuff. For shoes, it's Birkenstocks. All the time. Sandals or clogs depending on the weather.

My weakness is handbags. I have collected many Dooney & Bourke bags over the years, and I switch whenever the mood strikes. Currently I'm carrying a Valentine print, and will probably switch this weekend when Hubby can get the bin out for me.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I tend toward long, loose tunics and anything from jeggings to open-legged "dressier" fleece, to jersey pants.

At home, it's sweats, jersey pants, PJ bottoms, and t-shirts, chambray shirts, with-flannel or fleece shirts over. (I keep the house cool.)

I do wear jeans occasionally, but they're "fat-lady" jeans. Shoes are Uggs, or clunky "therapeutic" leather shoes, either oxfords or boots.

I do not wear shorts due to my knees looking like sacks of rocks, and I do not wear capris due to them making my enormous feet look enormous-er.

I wear my hair long and its natural color (medium brown with-silver threads).

No makeup due to being allergic to everything and too shortsighted to apply eye makeup.

Nails clipped and natural.

thick lined bifocals (the no-line ones make me sick to my stomach)

susiestar

Roll With It
I am allergic to hair dye and lots of hair products (either something in them or the scent, or both) so my hair is the color it naturally comes in - grayish blondish. It is also very long.

I don't wear a lot of makeup, not because I don't like it but because it doesn't like me. A touch of eyeshadow and lipstick for special occasions is as fancy as I can get. Mostly I go without. I use very gentle products on my skin. Many of them are actually food grade, otherwise I can have big problems. I have to be careful. Even the "hypoallergenic" and "sensitive skin" products do bad things for me.

I can wear nail polish, and sometimes I bother with it.

I mostly wear dresses. I don't like anything tight around my body at all.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Long, curly blonde hair (middle of my back)... Some layers but mostly just long, in a ponytail most days. Today I have it in a butterfly clip, on Sunday it was a Swedish braid. That's just because I got bored. I do occasionally dye it, but I prefer "not found in nature" colors like purple, teal, pink, fire engine red.

Makeup... UGH. I wear Neutrogena oil free moisturizer with sunscreen EVERY DAY. Beyond that... For family photos and special occasions. If I wear makeup to work, no one recognizes me. I used to wear it every day, but it always smudged due to my contact lenses. I'm rather near sighted.

Californiablonde

My hair is blonde (as you've probably guessed,) shoulder length, and flipped up at the ends. I normally wear leggings or jeggings, various tops and sweaters, and high heeled shoes, whether they be sandals, shoes, or flip flops. Always heels. As for make up, I like the natural look, so I only wear foundation, mascara, blush, and lipstick. I adore lipstick, and love to experiment with different colors. Oh...and nail polish. I love my nails polished with a variety of colors. My toenails never leave the house unpolished. Other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I went from braced shoes to orthopedic shoes, to very specific makes and models of shoes.

Never wore heels beyond what you would find on a riding boot, and had trouble with Western boots, so only put them on just before I hit the saddle.

I've tried (lower) high heels a couple of times, but besides the obvious balance issues, experienced horrible pain in the balls of my feet, my toes, and my knees.

I think you have to sort of "train" your feet and legs to high heels at a young age (while still growing?) to be able to wear them. I know that my feet, from the ball of my foot down to the ends of my toes, look "squared off" compared to those of women who regularly wear heels.

Last time I wore makeup was for my wedding, my husband, who majored in theater, had taken makeup classes. He did my makeup using very expensive hypo-allergenic makeup, and I still had to rush to take it off partway through the reception as I couldn't stand the itching anymore.

I used to henna my hair occasionally when I was much younger, have had foil highlights done a couple of times, and tired home-hair color one time, which despite a negative patch test, resulted in a scalp mess that required a few trips to a dermatologist.

Had my hair permed once, and all the hair on the back of my head broke off.

All that was many years ago. I'm all natural these days. I use Dove allergy free body wash and Olay sensitive skin face wash and that's it. I use moisturizer and foot cream for diabetics (Gold Bond) on my skin and feet, and use Kerasol, a special cream to remove the extra dead skin diabetics build up on their feet as needed.

Hate the stuff because I have to wear socks over it to bed, and then scrub off the gross dead skin.

That's about it. No glossers, or serums, or "plumpers", or stuff like that. I look my age, and on the parts that were heavily sun exposed, probably older: my face and HANDS especially.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
GN, I have rather square feet, too. As a child I preferred to go barefoot, and aside from my cowboy boots (that I wore infrequently anyway)... It's flat shoes, either sneakers or sandals. ALWAYS with good arch support. I'm a big fan of Skechers.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
GN, I have rather square feet, too. As a child I preferred to go barefoot, and aside from my cowboy boots (that I wore infrequently anyway)... It's flat shoes, either sneakers or sandals. ALWAYS with good arch support. I'm a big fan of Skechers.

My heels are very narrow, so not quite rectangular. I haven't found Skechers that I can wear yet, though some of their newer styles interest me.

pasajes4

I'm not into clothes. I wear jeans or slacks with simple tops. I live in flip flops. I prefer really fancy ones like Yellow Box. My hair is always a short inverted bob. Simple make-up or non at all.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm not into clothes. I wear jeans or slacks with simple tops. I live in flip flops. I prefer really fancy ones like Yellow Box. My hair is always a short inverted bob. Simple make-up or non at all.

The flip flops are the sticking point, be they the cheap rubber ones you used to be able to get at the dime store, or the fancy designer ones, I absolutely cannot tolerate flip flops: they HURT!!

Makes it very hard for me to find sandals these days, as not only can I not wear any kind of thong sandal, I have to have an ankle/heel strap, or I'll break my neck.

I keep seeing all these really nice sandals and darned if they aren't all thongs! Even the utilitarian, cushy sandals I prefer are now thongs.

Makes me crazy.

HMBgal

I'm usually over in the parenting section, so this is a breath of fresh air. I'm a PE teacher for kids with disabilities, and I teach Zumba, cycling, and various other fitness formats in my spare time (??!!). So, my look is efficient and sporty, but feminine. Short hair cut every six or seven weeks, kept blonde by eSalon (amazing service--autoshipped color developed just for me, $30 every six seven weeks instead of going to the salon and paying $75 and it always comes out great). Always wear makeup (Bare Minerals and Buxom branded stuff), small necklace and earrings, and practical shoes. I have bad feet from years of ballet, needle point shoes when I was a kid, and general age-related arthritis stuff so I wear Nikes, New Balance, Skechers, etc. I have some really pretty heels for dress up (which is seldom), which I keep on my feet only long enough to meet social norms, then off they go. I wear active wear to work, then switch into my bright Zumba or cycling wear when I get home. Weekends are pretty much what I wear at work.

AppleCori

I am 5 foot 2 and curvy. I wear reading glasses (light purple).

I wear my hair long and curly, and blonde.

I get my hair done every 3/4 weeks, and I don’t mind the cost.

I wear a tinted lotion with sunscreen, mascara, and something on my lips everyday. More makeup if the occasion calls for it.

I change my style up every so often. I think I just get tired of it and go on to something else. I used to wear button-down shirts almost exclusively, but now I wear v-neck fitted solid color shirts (short or long sleeve, depending on the season) with a cami underneath, and jeans, shorts, or capris for everyday.

Lately, though, I have been wearing active wear quite often, even when not exercising. It gets me in the mood to exercise.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Fun thread!

I'm 5' 7 and wear my hair to my shoulders, layered. Colored light blonde every 3 weeks to cover my gray roots. My hair grows like a weed.

Love clothes I must admit. I order a lot of blouses from Loft, like the way they dress up pants. I work corporate so do have to look professional. I love shoes and jewelry too so I have fun with it. In warm weather I wear a lot of dresses because they are comfortable but look put together.

After work and on weekends I wear jeans, capris, shorts or whatever depending on weather and what we're doing. In the cold weather after work I'm in leggings and sweatshirts or something similar.

I would not be caught dead without makeup outside the house. I don't wear a lot and do wear it light but I just feel better when I feel I look better. I just really like to take good care of myself and put a lot of effort into looking my best.

AppleCori

Love clothes I must admit. I order a lot of blouses from Loft, like the way they dress up pants.

I like to find a certain store and order from them, both for myself and my daughter (not necessarily the same store). I would rather order online than go out shopping. I don’t keep a lot of clothes, though. I get rid of clothes so that my closet doesn’t get too full.

[/QUOTE]I would not be caught dead without makeup outside the house. I don't wear a lot and do wear it light but I just feel better when I feel I look better. I just really like to take good care of myself and put a lot of effort into looking my best.[/QUOTE]

I don’t go out without makeup, either. I wear minimal around the house, more if I am out.

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I like to find a certain store and order from them, both for myself and my daughter (not necessarily the same store). I would rather order online than go out shopping. I don’t keep a lot of clothes, though. I get rid of clothes so that my closet doesn’t get too full.

I have found that Loft has a lot of sales so I put them in my online cart and wait for the sale. Sometimes I lose out but more often than not I get 30% or 40% off. You can return them right at the store also. I have had really good luck with their tops. Not sure pants size so would need to go in and try them on so I can order them. I like to order pants from Express and they fit well and are good quality.

I actually saw a news story about this - keeping stuff in cart and then out of the blue it's on sale!

I really need to purge clothes before we move. Why pay to move stuff I can't/won't wear.