Hair dyeing

Californiablonde

Being blonde has sort of become a part of my identity so it would be hard for me to go dark. I would love to go back to strawberry, however. I am thinking of getting my hair professionally done as a late Christmas present for myself next month. I feel like a change, but dark is too drastic for me.

Malika

Well, according to my (very knowledgeable!) hairdresser, hair usually gets lighter as we grow older. So you really never know, CB! It could be just the contrast with the platinum blonde that is making your hair roots look so dark, of course.

Very happy to have put this vital subject out there :)

SuZir

Well, according to my (very knowledgeable!) hairdresser, hair usually gets lighter as we grow older. So you really never know, CB! It could be just the contrast with the platinum blonde that is making your hair roots look so dark, of course.

Doesn't work like that for blondes. Not usually. It's other way around. Very few stay very blond till they are 50. Usually kids get darker blondes already around 3 or around either 10 or 15 and those who stay very blond till adulthood it tends to get darker around 30 or during first pregnancy for women. And those of us, who have yet to get darker after all that, it usually happens between 40 and 50. I notice it on me too already. I'm not any more naturally platinum blond but there is more yellowish, greyish and darker blond mixed to it.

Californiablonde

It is true that blondes do get darker as they get older. My mom used to have very light blonde hair in her twenties and now hers is brown. My son had very platinum blonde hair up until he was about ten. Now he is thirteen and he is more of a dark blonde, or even light brown depending on one's opinion.

Malika

Oh yes, yes, it's true now that I think! I started off with very blonde hair that has slowly darkened to its present mouse plus... So, guess the hairdresser was talking about something else :)

trinityroyal

Maybe it's that whatever colour we start out with gradually fades from it's bright youthful hue to something duller and closer to grey?

My husband had golden blond hair as a little boy, but it was a lovely rich medium brown shade by the time he was about 8 or 9. (On a related note, I'm not sure why people call it "mousy". Medium brown is such a lovely hair colour.) difficult child had golden blond hair as a little boy -- little cherub curls too -- and he's still blond, though a shade darker. easy child and the Monsters all started out with jet black hair, and have lightened gradually with time to various shades of very-dark brown. Me, I've always had just-off jet black hair. It hasn't changed since birth, based on photos.

This is turning into such an interesting topic.

Californiablonde

difficult child has a lovely shade of chestnut brown hair, but she hates it. I told her she can feel free to dye it if she chooses. I will even do it for her. I'm such an expert at doing my own hair. So far, though, she hasn't taken me up on it.

SuZir

My husband had golden blond hair as a little boy, but it was a lovely rich medium brown shade by the time he was about 8 or 9. (On a related note, I'm not sure why people call it "mousy". Medium brown is such a lovely hair colour.)

That is about basic human instinct to want what they don't have and be different from others :bigsmile:

At my corner of the world that "mousy" is very envied and sought after hair colour and aahed and oohed for it's exoticness. Half of us dye our hair to different shades of red and rest to that 'mousy' or black (last tends to look horrible for us by the way.) We have similar expression to other hair colour; we call it 'dishwater' or 'brown as road.' I think most of the rest of the world calls that colour strawberry blonde or honey or gold blonde and I have been told that some even dye their hair to that colour (never would happen around here, expect to those who are going back to their natural colour.) The problem with the colour is not that it would be ugly. It is that it is common.

Malika

So maybe we mean different things by "mousy"? I mean a sort of darkish off-blonde, muddy blonde. It's true that no many real life mice are that colour!

As I was admiring my new hair colour in the mirror, I realised that it is the shade of natural ash blonde that I have been searching for for ages in a box... ha, ha.

SuZir

So maybe we mean different things by "mousy"? I mean a sort of darkish off-blonde, muddy blonde. It's true that no many real life mice are that colour!

I don't think we are in different colour. It is just how things are defined. Well, you know where I'm from, we just can't go describing everyone blonde, so what still goes as blonde in most parts of the world, is either middle brown or dark brown around here. I mean: You do know that David Beckham has closer to dark brown than middle brown hair, Matt Damon used to have middle brown hair but nowadays has dark hair and that actress who plays Meredith in Grey's Anatomy, Ellen Pompeo, has the world's most boring hair colour called dishwater. Right?

If someone has actual dark hair, or brown eyes, and is not obviously recent immigrant, we just tend to assume they have Romani blood on them, because otherwise, well, everyone just is some hue of blonde and for descriptive reasons we kind of have to make the difference ;)