***Hairspray***

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
No, not the aerosol kind.....the MOVIE!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

:thumb: 10 Thumbs UP :thumb:

I didn't know a thing about it ahead of time and it was an utter delight from beginning to end. I don't even want to share much here so I won't ruin this enchanting surprise for you either.

Suffice it to say that there were so many layers, so much camp, so many good messages about change and diversity and love. It brought back many, many memories of the 60's and what a critical decade that was.

Oh, and the singing and dancing was a blast, too!

OMG, John Travolta was just so dear. And hilarious! And to see Christopher Walken, who usually plays creepy weirdos, as John's husband was hilarious.

The young woman who plays the starring role was delightful, too.

I've gotta get the soundtrack today...

Anyway, can you tell that I highly recommend it? :smile:

Treat yourself to an enchanting, thought-provoking, and fabulous couple of hours and go see it!

Suz

SRL

I saw the trailer and it looked really fun.

Is it appropriate and/or would it interest kids? Zac Efron from High School Musical is in it so little girls everywhere (mine included) will want to know.

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #003333"> sarah & i saw it last night & can't wait to see it again.

it was fantastic. adam shankman did an amazing job directing/choreographing. amanda bines was just about my favorite character. christopher walkin was a total surprise.

jarrod's girlfriend, her mom, sarah & i are supposed to go to the movies some time..hopefully this week. we're hoping they want to see Hairspray.

i had no real clue what it was about either. what a wonderful surprise this movie was!

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Nancy

easy child and I saw the broadway show last year and loved it. It did bring back a lot of memories of the 60's for sure. I can't wait to see the movie. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed like I was with Rent but I guess it's hard to compete wirth Broadway.

Nancy

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Suz, kt would like to see this movie with me. Is it okay to take a 13 y/o to see?

I've heard this movie is a blast & would love to get out to see it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
SRL and Linda, there were all kinds of young people at the show and they seemed to love it, too. The male lead is obviously a favorite with the teenage set :flower: .

Aside from the fun of it, I would think it would be a great catalyst for conversations with our kids about civil rights/integration, looking into people's souls and not outward appearances, the joy of love, and tripping down memory lane etc. Some of the content is "mature" but probably nothing more than on tv. It is a truly heartfelt movie and I can't wait to see it again.

Suz

I maybe go to the movies once a year. I just don't see paying the price. the exception is seeing the kiddy movies with Tink, but even those we try to hold off until they get to the cheap shows.

Hairspray, however, I am very anxious to see. I adore John Travolta, Christopher Walken (creepy as he is) is one of my favorite actors ever, I've always liked Queen Latifah, and I think Amanda Bines is a doll.

I'll probably end up seeing it with my mom and Tink together! Can't wait!

On_Call

I really, really want to see this one, too. It would be worth the over-priced admission!

Now, do you think I can talk husband into seeing it - or is this one I should try to take a girlfriend to?

meowbunny

I'm just having a hard time imagining anyone but Ricki Lake being Tracy or Divine being the mom even though I love Travolta. I loved the 1988 movie! My daughter and I watch it whenever it is on TV. It has opened many different discussions about my history, integration, civil rights, prejudice, etc.

Unless this remake has changed greatly, I think it is a good for movie for anyone kid over the age of 9. Hopefully, the reruns will have the same effect the first one did -- a chance to have some important dialogues in different ways as your child matures.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
BBK, it's only $6.00 at my local theater if you go in the afternoon. As long as I stay away from the food where they really make a killing, it's an inexpensive form of entertainment.

Jamie, I can't speak for "men" but my exdh loves comedies and musicals, be they theater or movies, so I know he will enjoy the movie and there were certainly a fair amount of men there yesterday. I guess whether yours will like it or not depends upon the kinds of things he enjoys. It ain't a Bruce Willis movie. :wink:

Suz

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband, easy child, difficult child, and I are all going to see it-hopefully this week. I loved the other one and can't wait to see this one!!

Marguerite

In Australia I haven't heard of it being released, but today's "Oprah" featured scraps of Hairspray, plus the cast. We were intrigued, to say the least. difficult child 1 especially thought John Travolta's portrayal of the mother, was great.

I do hope it comes out here but it may not, since the topic is fairly specific to the US. Some issues don't always make sense to us. I remember watching "South Pacific" and trying to work out what the big deal was, why the various people got spooked when they found out a bit more about the people they'd fallen in love with. Because so many romance stories seem to need a point where the couple split up for a while, it seemed a bit too contrived for me, I couldn't understand why the rejections. Even when someone explained it to me, I didn't get it.

So it's possible that Aussie audiences have been surveyed and found wanting, in the understanding department. Australia in the Sixties was a very different place to the US.

Still, I guess I can trust easy child to track down a copy. ANY musical, especially if JT's in it, gets her interest.

Marg

Sunlight

In anticipation of me seeing the new version, I rented the original for boyfriend and I so he could catch up. if you havent seen the original, rent it first!
one of my favs. as soon as I can get there, I will see the new one. by the way the orig guy who played Link is now a preacher in Harlem. what a hunk and what a dancer!

tinamarie1

I took easy child to see it on the nite it opened here. I had never seen the original, but the previews to this one looked so cute! I loved it...thought it was one of those movies that just make you feel good. I adored the girl who played the starring role...she is a doll. And I just wanted to giggle every time I saw John Travolta, he was so cute you just wanted to sop him up with a biscuit and honey!
It was definitely worth the money..and I don't say that about too many movies. I want the sound track too!
Tina

Abbey

Spork Queen
I rarely go see movies in the theater, but thought I'd treat my daughter to this. It was SOOOO good. I laughed so hard.

My favorite sceen was when JT and Walkin (sp?) were dancing out by the laundry line. There were both just about ready to crack up the whole time.

I'd say it's a must see. I want the soundtrack!!

Abbey