Ham On Sale Now

susiestar

Roll With It
According to the butcher at our grocery store, now is when you will find great deals on ham. The stock from the holidays is being cleared out to bring in fresh for Easter. I found a whole bone-in ham (my preference because it is less processed than many boneless hams) for under $20. They had about seven of them. I wasn't going to get one, but I asked the butcher if they could slice it. they did, for free. It made 2 HUGE piles of ham on their biggest styrofoam trays, over 25 pounds, and the bone is not very big at all in the center of the slices.

So for those of you who are stockpiling meat when it is cheap, who also eat pork, now is the time to check the hams!

Calamity Jane

Thank you. We make a lot of bean soups and other stocks, etc., and I'm always looking for a ham bone - preferably a prosciutto bone. We don't really eat that much ham, but the bone adds so much flavor. Is it possible or have you ever seen actual ham bones for sale in the supermarket? I haven't. I've seen smoked hamhocks or something like that and I was afraid to buy them...don't know if they need special soaking or anything. I went to a local butcher to ask if he could save/sell me the prosciutto bone, and he said he never sells them - he takes them home and his wife uses them! Claims they're like gold. Apparently, the flavor adds more depth to the beans than a regular ham bone.

klmno

That's one of the meats that I can get a couple of dinners out of then freeze some and also take ham biscuits to work for lunch! Good deal!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Kroger has turkey for .99 cent lb too right now.

Let's just say there will be a LOT of canning meat in my near future.........no room in the freezer although I'm working hard on getting the stuff in there eaten. I am ever so grateful I bought a pressure cooker while I could do so.

Now I'll have to see if I can make some room to squeeze in some ham......I don't think you can can ham.......but then again I didn't think you could can bacon either and you can. LOL

InsaneCdn

Lisa... I don't know if it's still in stores, but when I was a kid, you could BUY canned ham. So... I'm sure there is a way!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Yes, you can still buy canned ham. It's what I buy because it's just the right amount for me and Storm for special occasions.