"Hammond's Choice" - a novel delving into the child mental health system

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I heard an interview with the author of this book this morning on NPR, and was intrigued that he wrote a mystery novel that also touches on the child mental health system and its many deficiencies. He talked about how important the cause was to him, and that he wanted to bring awareness to it by writing a novel involved in that setting. When I went to look for the book on Amazon, the first sentence of the synopsis grabbed me immediately:

"In Hammond s Choice, Ruth and Larry Hammond have been forced to relinquish custody of their son, Tommy, in order to obtain services for his serious emotional and behavioral problems."

That grabbed me; been there, done that (or rather, had to threaten to do that to get my Youngest the services she needed). Then I read further into the summary, and discovered that the author works at the children's treatment center right here in my city. He knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I have no idea if the book is good or not, but thought I'd share the link here purely based on the subject matter. I'm going to order it . Anything that brings attention to the cause of children's mental health issues, is a plus in my opinion. I'm quite curious now to read the story, fiction or not!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hammonds-Choice-Marty-Fenton-Mystery/dp/1883911796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229006855&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Hammond's Choice: A Marty Fenton Mystery Novel: Bob Cohen: Books[/ame]

B

bran155

Thanks for sharing. There isn't nearly enough exposure regarding mental illness or the mental health system. Autism is the only thing I ever see in the media. While I agree Autism is something worth talking about, there are just so many others that aren't being talked about at all. I am always looking for documentaries on mental illness, they are few and far between. I have seen a few on Bipolar Disorder, however they only touched on the subject. I haven't seen anything that was in depth.

I will Google "Hammond's Choice". Thanks. :)