Hanging Out with Kids Suffering with ODD

melhos

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and coming from a somewhat different place than most of you. I am working for Big Brothers Big Sisters in Iowa and have been doing research on childhood developmental issues. Many of our volunteers have little or no experience with ODD but have been matched with kids who either have ODD or are exhibiting strong signs with no diagnoses. I'm putting together advice on how to interact with these kids.
On average a Big Brother or Sister spends a couple of hours with a little brother or sister every two weeks or so. Many of our kids come from lower income families, have one parent, a developmental issue, or all of the above. So sometimes these kids don't have the support network that many children do, and having ODD can make it that much harder. We hope to build trusting relationships between volunteers and kids who might not always have an adult they are close to.
There is a lot of advice as far as discipline for parents, but any suggestions for activities, that your kids seem to do well with is greatly appreciated. We want to teach our volunteers to interact with difficult child's in a way that will allow the volunteers to have fun and form a lasting relationship with the child. And give the child an adult that can listen to them, and be there for them.

B

bran155

Hi, I just wanted to chime in and say welcome. I don't really have advice as I have great difficulties trying to handle my own child. But I did want to commend you for your efforts. What your doing is beyond admirable, you can really make a difference in a child's life. When my daughter was in the 3rd grade, way back when, she had a big sister. She was wonderful and my daughter really enjoyed spending time with her. So, kudos to you!!! :)

Others will be along to give you advice. This is a great place to be, there are lots of wise moms and dads here. Good luck!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome,
What a great thing you are doing! I can't speak for all of our kids but my difficult child loves to do active stuff, things like laser tag, shooting baskets, throwing around the football, computer games,taking hikes, bowling, etc...

He would also love going to sporting events or even just going out for some fast food.