Happiness is contagious

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Witz, There is a lot to be said for hanging out with someone who has happiness at the core. It's much easier to be negative but much more uplifting to see a half full glass.

Jena

So very true and i totally believe happiness is contagious as well. Seeing the cup half full is empowering when your at your worst.

thanks for sharing this.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Does K's manic laughter this morning count? It seems to be more irritating than anything! LOL
It does actually make me smile every 5 minutes or so.... it is when it doesn't stop.
Now when N and K are dancing... that makes me Happy!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, unless they're my sister in law who FORCES herself and everyone around her to be HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY! to the point of making you feel like she's negating and minimizing EVERYTHING in YOUR life, which ends up annoying the he!! out of you. Any time I try to tell her about something that's happened that I'm concerned or upset about, she replies with, "Well the good news is..." Makes me want to smack her. And now her MOM is doing the same thing! And it's always "Angel wings around you!" with enough syrup to drown an elephant. If I was in a bad mood before, they invariably manage to push me over the edge into raving land.

Wow. That was a fun rant! Now I AM in a good mood! :D

Fran

Former desparate mom
gvcmom, that was really funny.
It's hard to always know what the person needs when they are sharing something personal. Sometimes it's just a few words of support. Sometimes it's listening.
Sometimes it's someone to tell them "it's going to be ok".
My sister and brother tend to make jokes when I'm upset or they get nervous.

I understand what you are saying that it's almost like they are negating the seriousness of your concern. It's almost patronizing.

I don't like to dwell on the negative that comes through my life and I tend to be more upbeat but it's not superficial and it sure isn't rose colored glasses. I have to believe it's an obstacle to get over or around or I would just sit down and quit.

So I'm all for happy moods. (and alcohol and drugs if we need help) I'm kidding. I don't do drugs and barely drink.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Fran, I find that it takes a bit of listening to someone to figure out just what kind of support they need... a sympathetic ear, someone to ease their fears, etc. The problem with sister in law and mother in law, I think, is that hearing about problems or issues makes them anxious and they just react by pushing it ALL away with their "happy thoughts". So the feeling I am always left with is that the don't want to hear me, and they cannot deal with a conversation that ventures beyond the superficial. They only seem interested in happy news or something that's of entertainment value.

I'm not a gloom and doom person -- just a realist. Which may seem in sharp contrast to them sometimes!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've seen that article......it makes sense. Lately the only thing that carries me through is a sense of humor. If I can't find that I tend to become an isolationist. No one really wants to spend time with a sad sack.

If the only thing I can tell people when they ask me how I am (very tongue in cheek) is that the house isn't on fire at least that starts the conversation out on a positive (sort of) basis. Usually laughter.

I try not to dwell on the negatives lately or they will kill me.

I'm finding it harder & harder to find happy people ~ cannot get out of the house easily or at all (yesterday).