Happy Anniversary, or What a Difference a Pill Makes!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Today is my 21st wedding anniversary with husband. :D If you'd asked me four years ago if we'd still be married today, I would have not thought this possible! Life back then always had an undercurrent of negativity and tension between husband and I. He was a very unhappy person and the way he tried to deal with that caused a lot of friction and hostility between us. I tried to cope through a lot of codependent behaviors, but eventually I hit my own personal wall and found the courage to draw my line in the sand. The result nearly pushed us into divorce, but either through sheer stubbornness or determination not to fail, we stuck it out, he got help and here we are today. I should also add that he was blessed with a seizure disorder that came to light during that time. And I do say blessed, because had he NOT had that medical problem, I'm doubtful he would have gotten the medication that has truly turned his life -- OUR life around.

So for anyone out there doubting that medicating a mental health problem is a safe alternative to life in chaos, I want to tell you that choosing to NOT medicate is likely to have more damaging outcomes to the patient's life, not to mention their loved ones, than the potential risk of appropriate medications.

Our family is living proof of better living through chemistry!

TerryJ2

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad it is working out. And it surely is a lot of work. Don't give all the credit to the medications.

Jena

wow that made me kinda teary.

congratulations to both of you. it's a true accomplishment and a testament to the love and friendship you both share.

i hope you two did something together today. :)

M

ML

Congratulations. My marriage is kinda a living miracle as well. Here's to "better livng through chemistry" lol. He's a lucky man, G.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I know what you mean, my husband went from being a raging maniac to a loving father and partner. The medications lowered his IQ, gave him a tremor, and he can't work in his profession anymore. Still, it was worth the intellectual and life style sacrifices just to feel safe at home. He took himself off zyprexa because he had a diabetes scare and I'm watching him carefully.

Thank you for the good update and Happy Anniversary!

idohope

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. husband and I are where you are 4 years ago. The main thing we share at this point is deep commitment to staying married. I read your post and feel hopeful that it will get us through to a time when things will be better.