Happy Free Choice Friday Morning!!!!

LittleDudesMom

:D We made it to Friday - although I wish I wasn't up so early....

but have to keep that comittment to the gym!

Not too much on my plate this last Friday of summer. The gym in about 10 minutes, then the grocer (with difficult child's school lunch requests in hand!), then home to putz until difficult child gets up and decides what he would like to do today ;).

I'm kicking and screaming here with the realization that there are only four days of summer left!! Why did it go so quicky? And you are talking to a girl who loves snow! It's been a great, relaxing, no stress, nap taking summer!

Hope your plans this Labor Day weekend include some relaxation :peaceful:!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning Friends,

Sharon-I hear you on the summer. Even though Fall is my favorite season, summer runs a close second and it just flew by this year. Good for you on getting up so early to go to the gym, especially when you don't want to be up!

The last day of our first work week. It has been a great week but I'm still ready for the long weekend. husband and easy child aare headed to Michigan for the first game of the season! difficult child and I are having a hopefully quiet weekend here.

Tonight we are going to watch movies. Hopefully I will get to sleep early as difficult child is usually asleep by 9 at the latest. Tomorrow if it's nice we may head to a pool for a last visit. I just have to be home early so that I can watch the
Michigan game!! Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes, I'm excited the season is starting;)

As always, wishing everyone a peaceful day:peaceful:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Morning all...it's been awhile since I've been up this early! LOL

LDM - I'm right there with you....I LOVE summer and hate when it ends. Of course....I'm not so big on snow. UGH! Have a good workout!

WO - I hope husband and easy child have a good time at the game and you have your quiet time.

Today I think is going to be filled with more grapes! LOL I've got enough juice to make another batch of jelly and will be picking my neighbor's grapes as she has no plans for them. Where I have the white (green) grapes, she has the dark purple Concord and at least twice what I had. My aunt and I are going to split them however but I still think I'll have quite a bit. husband asked me if I could just use the regular canning jars I already have instead of buying more jelly jars....um...NO.

As for the weekend....we have a party on Saturday and will be going to my Dad and Stepmom's on Sunday for a combo Labor Day party and birthday party for myself and my stepmom's brother.

Here's to a long weekend and I hope everyone has an enjoyable time!

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:

LDM- I hope you have a perfectly relaxing day. :)

Sharon- Fingers crossed that the weekend is quiet.

Mstang- Enjoy all the parties, you social butterfly!

I have some work to do around here today then Duckie goes to gymnastics followed immediately by a home game "under the lights". I must remember the bug spray!

Have a great day! Hi to anyone that snuck in. :salute:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Good morning all,

Sharon (ldm), I hear you about summer going by so quickly. Have a good workout at the gym.

Sharon (wo), keeping fingers crossed that you & difficult child have a quiet weekend. I hate the thought of you being alone with difficult child. I'm just a worrier.

'Stang, and when can I expect my package of grape jam/jelly? Hmmmmm

TM, sounds like another busy day for you. Are you taking your vitamins???

"Hi" if you snuck in - I'm a slow typer.

I have a mtg at kt's day treatment this morning & then I'm heading up to visit wm. I'd prefer to skip all this nonsense & start spreading my mulch in the yard. I'm going to attempt to mow the "lawn" - we'll see how it goes. (Niece is out of town until Sunday).

Not much else going on ~ just hoping next week is a bit less hectic.

Have a good one friends.

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

It's now officially spring here but in reality, it's been spring for a few weeks. We woke one day to heatwave temperatures and winter was swept away overnight. We still have cool evenings, sometimes the occasional cold one, but the perfumes of spring are everywhere now. The jasmine can sometimes get fooled into an early flowering, but only if it stays warm enough, does the wisteria bloom as well, it's scent mingling with the jasmine and peach blossom.
I walk outside my back door now and the paving is warm under my bare feet, and the perfume of the jasmine & wisteria is filling the air. We also have a weedy tree (a pest plant) which looks scrubby but has the most amazing orange blossom scent. It'sadding to the mix.

Sharon/LDM, I hope you still get some warm summery weather for you, a while longer. Winter will hang around long enough.

Sharon/WO, I'm glad your first week back was enjoyable for you. Enjoy your movie marathon day.

Stang, my mother used to make grape jam. It tasted a lot like plum jam but she never sieved out the seeds, so I hated it for that reason. It tasted great, but I hated biting into seeds unexpectedly.
For bottling things like jams & chutneys, I use old glass jars that had mayonnaise or other things in them, as long as they have a pop-top lid. You know, the ones with the sort of flat bubble that only pops up when you open the jar? I pour the jam into the sterilised jar while the mix is boiling hot, then tighten the lid down (I have to use hot mitts often) and as the jam cools, the contraction of air insude pulls the pop-top back down. I can then keep the jars of whatever in the cupboard for years.

TM, I hope you have a good repellent for the mozzies.

Linda, sounds like you have a very full day, and undoubtedly an emotionally draining one as well.

We had a busy day today - difficult child 3's fortnightly therapist appointment in near the university which is near enough to difficult child 3's school. So we arrange to meet with teachers on these days. Today difficult child 3 had a lesson with his computers teacher. Plus the schools IT technician put a 'spare' CD ROM RW drive into difficult child 3's easy child we brought in, to see if they could help load a system upgrade into. It's late-ish now, difficult child 3 is working on his now-upgraded computer and trying to load the new software, using a now-functional CD drive.
I met with the Science teacher and collected the next topic of work. In between all of this I sat comfortably in the library and read a book. We left the school in time to rush to the therapist, then after that we dropped in on husband. He had some large glass jars for me, with screwtop plastic lids.

Because I am going to bottle stuff too. I'm going to bottle some Moroccan salted lemons so I can give some to friends for Christmas. I've been finding thta packaging them off into smaller jars is tricky, especailly while the lemons are firm and fresh. To bottle theswe things you need to really squash them into the jars and they're just too fresh to squash down much. So we figured - use big jars, it's easier to pack the lemons in with less air space (because that air space has to be filled with lemon juice).

On the way home we stopped at the mall and did a little grocery shopping. Lemons are cheap at the moment so I bought several dozen of them. I was gonig to begin preparing them tonight but I'm absolutly exhausted (despite my relaxed morning reading in the library).

Meanwhile my good friend who is sewing cravats for the groomsmen in the bridal party, said she needs more thread, and also more red satin. So I sent difficult child 3 down to his sister's (easy child 2/difficult child 2) who was in the process of fitting her sister in law with her bridesmaid's dress, to collect some swatches of fabric and also to deliver a small pillar candle she asked for (to seal the edges of ribbons and fabric). She didn't send back the correct swatches, so I had to rely on difficult child 3's brilliant visual memory. HE chose the thread for me. Thankfully I did have a swatch of the red satin so I was able to match it and buy more.

After all that - we got back in time for difficult child 3 to be dropped straight off to his tennis training, only about half an hour late.

I think I have a fairly free weekend. Of course, it has filled up, but not with anything too formal or too far away. difficult child 3's tennis coach has offered him a job cleaning second hand bricks. We're driving over tomorrow to have a look and to see if difficult child 3 is up to the job. The coach lives in the same street as my other good friend. Then I have to at some stage drop in on my friend sewing the cravats, and take more fabric to her (the purple) and perhaps show her the 'mother of the bride' dress we got on Tuesday.

Sunday is open day for local artists again and with nothing else planned (apart from church) I can relax and enjoy.

It could be the last time for a while - the wedding is in four weeks, exactly.

Enjoy your Friday, everyone. I'm heading to bed for an early night.

Marg

It's Friday!!!!!

I hope that everyone has a good start to their day.

Sharon, I'm impressed by your discipline. I hope that the workout was a good one. I'm already missing summer as well. It never used to be my favorite season, but I'm growing to love it more and more.

Sharon (WO) , the quiet weekend sounds lovely. I agree, GO BLUE !!!

'Stang, love those big purple Concords! I know the jelly will be delish. Save some for us, and I hope the parties go well.

TM, I bet the home game will go well. If you are like me, you really need that bug spray. They love me for some reason :).

Linda, good luck on the visits, I do hope that they go well. Take care with the mowing. I bought a rechargeable battery powered lawn mower a couple of years ago, and I just love it. It's very light weight, starts right away with a key, and there is no pesky cord to fool with. I highly recommend them, but they are a little difficult to find. One charge is just enough for my 3/4 acre yard.

Marg, I can really smell your perfumes of spring! We planted a tea olive shrub next to our door and it is very fragrant right now - it has the sweetest smell. It's an entire extra dimension to gardening , isn't it? The lemons sound like a delightful gift, a very creative one! Only four weeks to the wedding and counting! This has been a busy year for you, hasn't it?

We are really looking forward to the holiday weekend. easy child is attending DragonCon and is on cloud nine. When he attended last year he injured his knee badly, so I have my fingers crossed that this year, ahemm, will be a little less active. Things seem to be going well for difficult child in his third week of college. We have hired easy child on as a "coach" for difficult child and it is working nicely. easy child is picking up a little extra income while he works on his thesis - he get some breaks in his tedious work - he's developing a much better relationship with his brother - and working on his own patience and tolerance. It seems to be a "win-win" thus far. difficult child needs to attend two live classical music performances and write critiques for his music class. This calls upon skills that he needs to develop - it will be interesting to see how it goes. He is truly enjoying his Physics class - so he has at least one area that's "natural" for him.

Our community is in our fourth year of an awesome Book Festival , it's been growing larger every year. I have participated as a volunteer in the past, but this year I'm going to attend sessions and have fun. The keynote speeh will be this evening by Sir Harold Evans, a former editor of The Sunday Times and a Knight of the Round :) . He will be speaking on "The Vital Future of the Printed Word". Given that several of my long time journalist friends have lost their jobs this year, I am most interested in what he has to say!

I hope everyone enjoys their long holiday weekend!

Valerie