Happy Monday and Martin Luther King Day!

LittleDudesMom

:bigsmile: Good Morning Friends!

Everyone must be sleeping in a little extra on this holiday Monday. I love the idea of this day being a national day of service. We have always become stronger in this country when we remember our obligation to each other.

easy child didn't teach the 6 am class this morning. She got a sub since she didn't have school today. She and I will be going to the 9:00 class this morning. A few little putzy things to handle today, but for the most part, I'm expecting some peace!!

Hope your day is forecast to be peaceful as well :peaceful:

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good morning LDM, Happy MLK day back at you. Good idea for easy child to get a sub. How is her healthy living working out for her? I know you have done so well. I bet she is too.

husband doesn't have the day off unfortunately so it's a normal work week for us.
difficult child is doing the same which is better than going downhill. I take our victories where I can get them.

Hope you all have a good day. Having a dream is a good thing.

Critter Lover

Hi LDM and Fran! Good Morning everyone! I hope everyone has a great day....I am one of the unlucky ones that has to work today. Oh well ...I guess I should count my blessings that I still have a job to get up and go to.

HUGS to ALL!

Critter

Marguerite

And a happy Monday to all, from Australia!

G'day, Sharon/LDM. I agree, sometimes it's good to be reminded that we need to look out for one another.

Fran, fingers crossed for difficult child to hold a steady course.

Critter, sorry you miss out oon a day off. But as you said, it's good to have a job. Do you get paid penalty rates? That would be something else to be glad about.

No public holiday for us, of course. Although school holidays contine - one more week. husband is off this week as every year, becausee we have birthdays and anniversary. I took advantage of it today to get my eye tests done, they had told me I wouldn't be able to drive for three hours, after eye drops. The eye exam - no retinal detachment, tan goodness. So I ordered my new lenses for my existing spectacle frames, then remembered (a bit late!) that I would need to leave my current specs to be sent off for re-fitting. And I hadn't brought a spare pair, nor did I have any contact lenses! So it was a good thing husband was driving. I would have had to keep my glasses and order them at a later date.

I've got to go back on Friday after wearing my contact lenses all week, to see if they cause any irritation. On Friday difficult child 3 is getting his eyes checked out thoroughly for possible glaucoma, so we'll be busy. But after doing osme online digging last night and again talking to the (very young) optometrist today, I have found that I don't have to use chemical sterilisation, I can go back to what I used to do decades ago and steam them! It's much more effective and doesn't use preservatives! Yippee!

While I organised appointments etc, husband had taken difficult child 3 to the (fabulous!) Greek cafe next door to order the best kebabs in Sydney. So leaving my vital specs behind at the counter, I took my first (wary) steps away from the counter as a (temporarily) blind person and made my independent way to the cafe. Very grateful that I already walk with a stick, I was using it to feel for steps.
Once I met up with husband, I had a person to hang onto. I could see only by colour and light, using big blobs of colour to tell me when there was a person walking near us. My eyesight really is bad - without glasses I can't even see the eyechart, let alone the letters. Not even the big one at the top.

So what else could we do? We went and did the shopping. I know that mall and the supermarket really, really well. I didn'thave to hang on to husband all the time, although it did help.

difficult child 3 was an increasing pain in the neck all day, finally realising far too late that he had (once again) skipped his medications. The one advantage of this was to stimulate difficult child 3's appetite, so he ate well today.

But tomorrow - we watch him like a hawk!

When we got home I rummaged in the cupboard and found an old pair of glasses. Then I put in my 'practice' contact lenses and dug out my old contact lens steamer. It's 8 hours later and my old glasses are now on, while my contact lenses are steaming away as I type this. It's been about 12 years since I last used the thing, so I am going to babysit it to make sure it works properly, switching itself off when it boils dry. But if tis works - I will be so relieved! And form what I was told today, I will probably have the most sterile contact lenses in Australia. Because nobody else does it this way any more.

Utterly bizarre...

A hot day tomorrow, I really do need to test these contact lenses at the beach... wish me luck!

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Sharon-A peaceful day sounds like a good thing! Enjoy the class! I'm sure easy child enjoyed a little extra sleep in time.

Fran-It's good to hear difficult child isn't sprialing down right now! I totally understand the taking victories where you can get them. Enjoy your day.

Critter-I hope your work day is a good one!

Marg-Sounds like a busy day. Glad there is no detached retina! Have fun testing the contacts at the beach!

For breakfast for husband, easy child, and difficult child I made difficult child's favorite cinnamon/streusel bread. difficult child is a happy camper right now-I made it after he was asleep and he was very happy to see it this morning.

I'm up with difficult child first this morning so that husband can sleep in a bit and then I'll go back to bed. Later we'll head to the health club, it's a weights day so it's our longer workout.

Other than that, I plan on taking a short nap (have to be able to sleep tonight since it's back to work tomorrow) and hopefully finish reading my book-it's over 700 pages and I'm down to just over 100 to go!

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.:peaceful:

artana

Sharon/LDM - Have a great day.:) Sounds like you have a good schedule ahead.

Fran - Glad difficult child is not going downhill. One step at a time.

Critter - I have to work too.:/ Have a good day anyway.

Marg - Sounds like quite an adventure with the glasses. It's good that you have some older backups just in case.

WO - You snuck in on me.:) Have a great day.

I had a very full weekend. On saturday, easy child and I went to get a second opinion at a developmental optometrist. He told me that easy child has a hard time focusing, but does not really have nearsight or farsight. He said that part of his ADHD is this lack of focus that he is dealing with. So, easy child is getting new glasses and might be doing vision therapy.

Saturday, I also received results in the mail from urgent care saying my lipase levels were high. This means that there is something weird going on with my pancreas, though not high enough to think the pancreas is really in distress. So, I need bloodwork and other things done this week.

On Sunday, the kids and I sledded down the hill in front of our house and built snow forts. We also watched the AFC Championship game (my first football game) and it's actually tolerable on HD. Of course, the Steelers won! I am worried about life in Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks. Our head offices are in Scottsdale AZ, so the back and forth will be interesting.

This week, I'm looking forward to going for a class walk with my son, and to spending time finalizing my choice of wedding dresses.

Andy

I just lost 20 plus minutes of typing! :surprise: I have lost my go back/forward keys which sometimes helps find it.

Anyway, I have to run so can not retype the individual greetings.

Keep my difficult child in your good thoughts today. husband and I are headed up to Fargo (I have a doctors appointment and he has gift cards burning a hole in his pocket). I so wanted husband to stay home! I need a day of alone shoppingness. Now I have to stress about watching the time and meeting him here or there. I break my neck trying to meet the timeline, just to find he is not even close to being done at "his" store. That man can easily spend 5 hours in a sports store and still not be ready to leave! difficult child is at a sleep over and will be dropped off late morning. easy child will be home with him. Here's hoping he slept well or I will receive a call that will put me in so much stress! This is a test for difficult child's readiness for a trip with his aunt and uncle this Spring.

Everyone have a great day! Find a way to make your kids laugh.