Happy Mother's Day to a truly special group of mothers

Ephchap

Happy Mother's Day to each and every one of you. Parenting a child is a gift, but with that gift comes many years of love, joy, worry, proud moments and sometimes heartbreak. Each of us have parented a child who has the added burden of substance abuse. It can be a heartbreaking road, but the road to recovery can be one filled with joy and love and the constant day to day recovery.

My son relapsed with alcohol this past year and has separated from his fiance/mother of his son. It's been filled with every emotion imagineable, and yet - seeing him once again pull himself up and truly try to turn his life around has made me more proud of him than ever.

This time, he's doing things differently. This time, he's committed to the AA program and has joined a sober Alano Club - a social setting with sober people committed to sobriety. He attends meetings regularly and has even signed up to play on the sober softball team, in a sober league.

Watching him struggle has been heartbreaking, but watching him turn things around has been a heartfelt joyous thing to see.

To each of you - whether in the midst of the substance abuse cycle, or past it - deserve a special acknowledgement today on Mother's Day. You are each an inspiration to me, and for that, I am truly grateful.

Deb

everywoman

Deb, I am so happy that your son is again trying what is a very difficult task. It's good to see positive updates...Have a great Mother's Day.