Hard Times

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - yup, I buy store brands or Suave for husband and Jett and me, and Tresseme for Onyxx - bigger bottles, turns out to be cheaper than even Suave.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I actually think I'll find my biggest savings on things such as shampoos ect than for actual food stuffs.

Daisy awesome idea about the list!! I'll clue easy child in. That's how I make out my lists sort of.........don't worry so much on brands, except for certain things I'm really picky about. But I've got a friend I went to nursing school with who made a killing at CVS, Riteaid, and Walgreens on a weekly basis. I was just too busy with schoolwork to have her show me how to do it too. She does it with paper coupons, discount cards, and in store sales somehow.......which is what easy child did with diapers she got free for Nichole last week and cereal.

My biggest worry is can I come up with enough cash in a given wk to do the 30 bags of something thing. lol

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm following this thread, too. Good timing. I was thinking last night that I need to ask DF how she spends so little on groceries for a family of 4 (I think you posted that you spend $60 a week?). I rely on foodstamps and haven't had an increase in 2 years - with food prices going up, I'm running out of money on it and with gas prices going up, I can't afford the difference in cash.

I already use coupons.com, and am going to check out the other sites. I registered my Kroger card on cellfire.com - I don't shop at Kroger often because they are too expensive, but as it is only 2 minutes away I do pop in there to pick up things we run out of, like bread and milk. Nice thing about my community is that it's become more compact. I have 2 Kroger, a Buehler's, and now a Meijer and Aldi's within 5 minutes of my house. When I tried to register so I could print coupons from cellfire.com it said it doesn't recognize my mobile number as a valid US number. ARGH! I have a safelink phone for low income people.

When I had money, there are things I was very particular about - kitty litter being a big one. With 5 cats, non-scoopable litter is awful. Even if you scoop 3 times a day, there are still odor problems with non-scoopable litter. But, I am making do as I go through 20 pounds of litter a week, and I can get non-scoopable for around $4.00, as opposed to $15 for the brand I like. I buy the large boxes of baking soda and mix it in every time I scoop, and leave one open in the room with the boxes. It helps a lot.

This stuff is pretty overwhelming, but with practice it will get easier. I am determined to do it!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
My biggest worry is can I come up with enough cash in a given wk to do the 30 bags of something thing. lol

Personally, I think the "30 bags of something" is not only un-necessary....but it's RUDE! It's cheating other shoppers.

(Many stores are starting to limit the number of items you can buy for just this reason!)

Last week, the big sale item was Bic Flex Four Razors. There on sale at Publix - Buy one, Get One Free (reg price $5.50 each). That meant that each pack of razors was $2.75. In the Sunday papers a few weeks ago, there were coupons for $3 Off any Bic Razor. ($2.75 - $3.00 = Free) So you KNOW that people tried to buy whole shopping carts full of "free" razors. Thankfully, the store limited everyone to four packs each. Four packs of razors is more than enough to stock up for yourself and still leave some for others.

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh, and as my son still works part time at Kroger and has his employee ID attached to my Kroger card, I get 33% off Kroger items, plus an automatic $0.10 savings on gas. When my mom shops at Kroger she puts in my phone number at the machine, so I get the credit for gas savings - she doesn't have a Kroger gas station near her, and uses the Giant Eagle gas savings.

JJJ

I really need to start doing this. First I am working on a list of what we usually buy and the regular and typical sale price at each of the 4 area grocery stores. Then I'll be able to combine coupons and sales to get our food bill down. Sadly, gluten free items rarely go on sale and they are really expensive, mostly we just do without bread, etc.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I'm following this thread, too. Good timing. I was thinking last night that I need to ask DF how she spends so little on groceries for a family of 4 (I think you posted that you spend $60 a week?).

Yep - about $60 a week.

Here's more "real world" examples:

This week at Food Lion, they are having a sale on the following:

Manwich ($0.79 each). It's common to find coupons to Save $1 off Two. so (2 x .79) - $1 = $0.29 each.

Ground chuck is also on sale $2.48 per lb.

Food Lion Frozen Vegetables on sale 2 for $4 (or $2 each)*

Hamburger buns 8 pk (reg price $1)

(*This is not that great a price for veggies, many times you can find Green Giant Frozen Veggies on sale for $1 per box...less your coupons makes them Free to $0.50 per box)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have a Save a Lot and an Aldi semi-nearby. Close enough to go after work, not close enough for a regular grocery trip.

We don't have a Costco or the like. husband has a Sams Club membership, but that gets REALLY. EXPENSIVE. FAST. Yeah, they have good deals on meat, but otherwise... Nah.

So - my close grocery stores are Meijer (2 miles) and Kroger (4 miles). *I* make too much money for any kind of state assistance. Actually, if I *do* have this child, it will put us just past the point where the kids will get reduced price lunches. And I should qualify for WIC. Still, it's expensive.

...And when you have a kid who eats ingredients by themselves, it is difficult to plan meals for more than a day at a time...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well, let's see...

Kroger is having a Mega Event this week. Buy 10 items and get $5 off (or fifty cents off each item).

That makes boxes of Ronzoni Pasta $0.49 each. There are coupons to save $1 off two....makes them both free!

Kraft BBQ sauce is $0.49 each after savings. There are usually coupons on this item to save $0.50 each....makes it free!

And not part of the Mega Event, but a good deal anyway is Kraft Singles. Sale price $1.79. Look for coupons to save $1 off any Kraft Singles made with 2% Milk. Makes them $0.79 each.

Buy 6 boxes pasta (0.49 x 6 - $3 = 0)
Buy 4 BBQ sauce (0.49 x 4 - $2 = 0)
1 pkg Cheese ($1.70 - $1 = .79)

Total = $0.79

flutterby

Fly away!
It's difficult to plan meals here, too, with difficult child being a vegetarian and still trying out new foods. Plus, she gets sick of things really fast, so we'll kind of stock up on something then she'll stop eating it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Another idea:
You can try a Sams club membership or if you know someone that HAS a membership - go and get Cat litter There - It's SUPER cheap if you buy in 40-80 lbs. It will cost up front but be cheaper by the lb.

Same with larger families and meat - like hamburger, and chicken - Most times Sams club has hamburger for $2.78/lb. and boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.98 lb. All day long. Sometimes you can get hamburger elsewhere for a better deal -same with porkchops. But we buy Ziplock freezer baggies at Sams - Cheaper to get them there - UNLESS you find deals with coupons at Target. Sometimes they run BOGO sales - when they do - we stock up for freezer meats.

If you have someone to share large meat trays with ? This works out good. Split the cost and get a scale - make the meat into 2 lb. bags - or meal appropriate portions. Write date on bag - put in freezer - OR like we do - have a cooking day - we make HUGE pots of chilie, meat loaf - and freeze it You could do this for 3 families and be done for quite a few nights - for nights when no one wants to cook. We do the same with chicken soup - etc.

ANOTHER TIP ABOUT YOUR PRINTER*****
Staples will give you a credit for every cartridge you turn in towards more ink - So will Office depot - So start asking your friends and office for the empties - and recycle them - for your printer ink for your coupons -
Set your printer to DRAFT setting to use less ink - and SET TO BLACK AND WHITE - you do NOT have to print the coupons in color.

STEP - When I started? I spent 6 hours a night preparing for this -

Now I do it as I need and I don't buy stuff I don't need anymore JUST to get the sale like a lot of these women buy 35 mustards - that's wasteful to me - I don't know anyone. I will buy things if I make money on it - and then the things I get that I didn't need to get the things I CAN use - I will donate to the food bank -

For example - a few weeks ago - they advertised DEPENDS for $10.00 - I had a coupon for $10.00 off - You could do a deal and the deal got me things we needed - I had coupons for the deal items things I needed. I used the items I needed, and donated the Depends to A local food bank that serves the elderly - They were elated to get them. I got 2 print outs for coupons and used those coupons for things I needed. I don't go crazy like that and get stuff I don't need - but I needed the coupons to get my stuff for cheap.

ALSO _ ANYONE really considering getting into this? GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND BUY A LARGE PAPER CUTTER. IF YOU BUY 4 or more SUNDAY PAPERS AT A TIME and want to cut out the coupons it is a HUGE HELP. MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE GRAND CHILDREN ? YOU GET ONE WITH A LOCK AND PUT IT UP . I bought my paper cutter at an auction it's gigantic - it's heavy and I love it.

You can also sit and cut them out one at a time - or save the papers by date - mark the coupon sections by date on the front and save them that way . Whatever works for you.

DammitJanet

Now if you can get me stocked up on diet coke? I will have it made! I actually want to look into getting my own soda fountain because we drink so much of the stuff. I figure if people can get kegs of beer, why cant I get a soda dispenser?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ebates is offering a deal on ALL YOU magazine -
(taken from another web site)

If you have an Ebates account? This is still a Deal - If you don't and sign up for Ebates? There is an extra $5.00 off - This is the magazine Walmart puts out in their stores for coupons off tons of stuff each month and it literally pays for itself - ESPECIALLY if you shop anywhere that doubles coupons.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just gave you free fountain drinks at the pilot! See the link above - and go to pilot.

FLUTTER -

www.coupons.com has 2 cat litter coupons - one is that yesterdays news for $1.50 off - Kroger often times runs it on special. BOGO - and I've gotten it for the rats for nearly free. There is also another litter coupon in there but forgot what it was. Check it out - you can print up to 2 of them - SAVE them and see if you find any deals of BOGO - and if you can? THEN BO use a coupon, and then GO - and use a coupon - and see if you have someone else that will print you off coupons NOW - before they are all gone - and then BOGO again - that way you get 4 bags of litter for the price of 2 less your coupons.

* it's Tidy cats.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Star... The facebook one just spins and spins.

I got some pasta ones. I hope the printer is working. LOL!

Here's hoping... I really need to save something somewhere. I'm BROKE!

P-nut2004

OK so I feel really stupid......I read flutterby's previous post & was like "OMG u can use coupons with a food stamp card???" I have been dealing with running out of stamps halfway thru the month & then trying (not efficiently) to use coupons to help for the second half. So I called my bestie & asked her & she says "DUH! How do you think I make my food stamps last?!" So....I am about to dedicate a notebook to the sites/usernames/passwords & get started, Im so excited LoL I had no clue I could use them so I never tried and I was definitely no even doing a good job of couponing even when I have to use cash. THANK YOU everyone who has provided links and advice on this thread!
:bow:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child and I share a membership at Sam's Club.............since her husband always goes with her, and mine with me.........neither husband needs their own card. lol Let us split the cost of membership too. Nichole has a membership as well. Their meat value paks are awesome. I just divide them up into freezer bags and pop them into the freezer. Some day I plan to own a deep freeze.

There is a coupon for tidy cats litter...........can't remember where I got them though, been to too many sites today. And they were in the paper too I think......but don't bank on it, I've been swimming in coupons for 2 days and I'm new at this. lol

Nichole has enlisted Aubrey for coupon cutting.........she thinks it's a grown up thing so is thrilled to help. Darrin looked at easy child like she was crazy. lol Travis helped me quite a bit.

Pnut I knew about foodstamps and coupons because when I was little my mom used them that way......feeding 5 kids was tough, even with food stamps.